Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Table decoration question: how to stick leaves in place?

• 10-12-2020 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭ CelticRambler

Perhaps more appropriate for a Craftwork forum, but we don't seem to have one ... :confused: but you good people might have the answer. I've just about completed a "twelve days of Christmas" candle arrangement as a table decoration (a follow-on to the Advent wreath) which includes a small pile of dried leaves around the base of the candles. Or at least it does until someone opens a window and they all fly off into various corners of the room.

Can any of you suggest a reliable technique for fixing dry leaves in place in such a way that they look like they've just fallen there? They're on a board that's part of the arrangement, not loose on the table.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭ otnomart

I am not remotely crafty, my first thought would be: blu tack,
    or even using sticky tape (making small rings of tape with the sticky part out)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭ CelticRambler

I probably should point out that there are about 200 leaves involved here, relatively small birch leaves. If I have to fix them individually, chances are it'll be Little Christmas before it's finished! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭ otnomart

I probably should point out that there are about 200 leaves involved here, relatively small birch leaves. If I have to fix them individually, chances are it'll be Little Christmas before it's finished! :D

Oops !

Hairspray, then ?
    Or spray snow ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee

There is a craft - Arts and Crafts under 'Arts'. However maybe some spray adhesive - put some on the board, put all the leaves in place then spray the whole thing. A few may escape but mostly they will hold together. WARNING: spray adhesive is dangerous stuff if it gets into your lungs. Do it preferably outdoors on a still day and avoid breathing it, wear a disposable mask might be a good idea. It might not be available now, haven't used it in years, it really is not something you want to breath.

If you are stuck (!! :D ) you could try using heavy duty hair spray.

looksee wrote: »
    However maybe some spray adhesive - put some on the board, put all the leaves in place then spray the whole thing. A few may escape but mostly they will hold together.

<snip>

If you are stuck (!! :D ) you could try using heavy duty hair spray.

Hair spray ... ? :confused: It's been a long time since there was any of that in the house - the hair, or the spray! :pac:

But I think I have a can of neoprene adhesive somewhere - I'll try that on a sample and see how it goes.

(and thanks for the pointer towards the Arts forum :) )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee

I was thinking more of buying a can of the cheapo glue you get in £ shops, no one would actually use the heavy duty stuff on their hair these days :D

looksee wrote: »
    I was thinking more of buying a can of the cheapo glue you get in £ shops, no one would actually use the heavy duty stuff on their hair these days :D

Ahhh, right. In the interests of further clarification, I should point out that I live in France Profonde. We don't have cheapy £ shops here, and the cheapy € shops (which require a full day's expedition to get to) only sell cheapy stuff at three times the price you'd pay in the supermarket for something half-decent! :D

The leaves were free, though. :cool:

Advertisement