Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Table decoration question: how to stick leaves in place?

• 10-12-2020 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭

Perhaps more appropriate for a Craftwork forum, but we don't seem to have one ... :confused: but you good people might have the answer. I've just about completed a "twelve days of Christmas" candle arrangement as a table decoration (a follow-on to the Advent wreath) which includes a small pile of dried leaves around the base of the candles. Or at least it does until someone opens a window and they all fly off into various corners of the room.

Can any of you suggest a reliable technique for fixing dry leaves in place in such a way that they look like they've just fallen there? They're on a board that's part of the arrangement, not loose on the table.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I am not remotely crafty, my first thought would be: blu tack,
    or even using sticky tape (making small rings of tape with the sticky part out)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I probably should point out that there are about 200 leaves involved here, relatively small birch leaves. If I have to fix them individually, chances are it'll be Little Christmas before it's finished! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I probably should point out that there are about 200 leaves involved here, relatively small birch leaves. If I have to fix them individually, chances are it'll be Little Christmas before it's finished! :D

Oops !

Hairspray, then ?
    Or spray snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a craft - Arts and Crafts under 'Arts'. However maybe some spray adhesive - put some on the board, put all the leaves in place then spray the whole thing. A few may escape but mostly they will hold together. WARNING: spray adhesive is dangerous stuff if it gets into your lungs. Do it preferably outdoors on a still day and avoid breathing it, wear a disposable mask might be a good idea. It might not be available now, haven't used it in years, it really is not something you want to breath.

If you are stuck (!! :D ) you could try using heavy duty hair spray.

looksee wrote: »
    However maybe some spray adhesive - put some on the board, put all the leaves in place then spray the whole thing. A few may escape but mostly they will hold together.

<snip>

If you are stuck (!! :D ) you could try using heavy duty hair spray.

Hair spray ... ? :confused: It's been a long time since there was any of that in the house - the hair, or the spray! :pac:

But I think I have a can of neoprene adhesive somewhere - I'll try that on a sample and see how it goes.

(and thanks for the pointer towards the Arts forum :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was thinking more of buying a can of the cheapo glue you get in £ shops, no one would actually use the heavy duty stuff on their hair these days :D

looksee wrote: »
    I was thinking more of buying a can of the cheapo glue you get in £ shops, no one would actually use the heavy duty stuff on their hair these days :D

Ahhh, right. In the interests of further clarification, I should point out that I live in France Profonde. We don't have cheapy £ shops here, and the cheapy € shops (which require a full day's expedition to get to) only sell cheapy stuff at three times the price you'd pay in the supermarket for something half-decent! :D

The leaves were free, though. :cool:

Advertisement