Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bugger of a day with leaf

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

After reading this thread I checked my wife's leaf... No green ball at the top of the 12v battery window. Can see a hint of green down there somewhere :O

So, what's the best way to top up the 12v? A full full charge? Does it happen after cell balancing? Or is it take it for a long drive?

You got further than I did. Where would one find the 12V battery in the Leaf and I'll take a look at my own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You got further than I did. Where would one find the 12V battery in the Leaf and I'll take a look at my own ?

Same place as most cars... under the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Firblog

Got the same message again this morning; car sitting in the driveway, powered on (100% battery), stuck in park, message on screen T/M system malfunction, can't even get it to power off. 😲

Taken to the dealer again, contacted today saying they wanted to change the 12v battery (will get the one in it tested to see if there is a fault with it); they say that diagnostic on the car hasn't shown up any issue, but that if the battery is tested fine then there must be something in the car draining the 12v.

Hope they aren't expecting me to pay for this new battery, I think they are, but as I paid for one 8mths ago I'm not willing to buy another - am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

If the battery is faulty & just 8 months old, you shouldn't be paying for another one. If something else is draining the battery & caused damage to that battery, the dealer again should pick up the tab for it.

Replacing it without finding the (likely IMO), underlying fault, is pointless - it'll happen again.

Hope you get sorted anyway.

• Advertisement

Collected the car today and pleasantly surprised they charged me nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

Jaysus, lads,

All this talk about EVs 'dying' on the road because of incorrect data re remaining miles, and the 12 v starting battery being run down, and 'calibrating', is putting me right off buying an electric car. I was seriously considering it this month.

I'm not a techie and don't understand electricity. EVs seem to presuppose technical know-how.

Should I avoid EVs?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Should I avoid EVs?

No! If an EV works for you (they likely can/will for 90% of people), go for it.

No knowledge is required - just a charge point at your house. Plug in when you get home & you'll waken in the morning to a fully charged car with 400km+ of range (an ID.4/Tesla etc.) for close enough to just €5.

How far will €5 get you in a petrol/diesel?

You'll have the famed silky smooth EV experience when driving, no messy gears to worry about, the cheapest rate of tax, half price tolls & not be emitting nasty pollutants either.

These days, it's a no-brainer 🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

If you heard about a regular car breaking down, would that put you off ever buying a regular car?

EV are extremely reliable and have way less maintenance than a regular car. I imagine they break down at a much lower rate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

I've driven Toyotas all my life and never ever had a breakdown. Never heard of anyone else having breakdowns in Toyotas either. They are so reliable, they are boring.

When people buy a car they expect reliability and efficiency, not problems.

• Advertisement

My old man bought a toyota corolla new from a garage, clutch had to be replaced within a month.

In my case the fault had nothing to do with the main battery dying, it was deffo an issue with the 12v before christmas, not yet clear what the cause was this time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Former employer had six new Aurises throw turbos and leave people stranded over a year. So now you have heard of someone (many, even) having breakdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 20 solo1y

I got that same error message on my Leaf last month, but thankfully it was outside my house at the time. I got it sent down to the dealer and they said it was the 12V battery. I wouldn't know, but it's been fine ever since.

I have a hunch that I might have forgot to turn the car off one day, which can't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Old skool 12V lead acid batteries in EVs can lead (pardon the punch) to all sorts of problems. Even in the Hyundai Ioniq EV, an exceptionally good EV for the money, there is a software bug / design fault where the 12V battery is not topped up enough from the high voltage battery, which can lead to many seemingly unrelated electrical problems and indeed, can leave you stranded

It's near criminal they are still using these old pieces of crap. A LiFePo4 battery of the same usable capacity would make a car just €100 more expensive and the problems would 99% go away as the car will still function fine if that battery is down to just 10V (a lead acid battery will almost never recover if discharged that deeply and most certainly will not work / not start the car if it is even a bit below 12V, never mind down to 10V)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Another point to note is that unlike in an ICE car where a lot of amps are required to start the car, a 12V battery in an EV has a more moderate load but for longer. perfectly suited to LiFePO4.

Advertisement