Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need website developer

Options
  • 09-12-2020 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I have created a website thats pretty good and responsive and is everything my business needs. I created it from a template online using Dreamweaver (i have a little experience from a long time ago).

its a simple website with no cart or methods to purchase on it. i was planning on launching it but I've gotten some funding (TOV) so I'm hoping to improve it by adding a cart etc. I've asked a few companies for help but they all use WordPress and say they wouldn't be able to help with Dreamweaver. They all say (without seeing the site) that it should be scrapped and start again on WordPress.

Should it be scrapped and start again using WordPress or wouldni find somebody who could add these functions to a site?

also, pm me any recommendations please

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi Zenify, I have moved your post to the Development forum where you might get more advice.

Impossible to say without knowing more about your site, but of adding a cart, you'll likely need to convert your design to be a theme for the cart you choose. Just starting again may be quicker. You could look at something like snipcart if you are determined to use your own design.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zenify wrote: »
    I have created a website thats pretty good and responsive and is everything my business needs. I created it from a template online using Dreamweaver (i have a little experience from a long time ago).

its a simple website with no cart or methods to purchase on it. i was planning on launching it but I've gotten some funding (TOV) so I'm hoping to improve it by adding a cart etc. I've asked a few companies for help but they all use WordPress and say they wouldn't be able to help with Dreamweaver. They all say (without seeing the site) that it should be scrapped and start again on WordPress.

Should it be scrapped and start again using WordPress or wouldni find somebody who could add these functions to a site?

also, pm me any recommendations please
    Have you had a look at what deals hosting companies offer? A few of them will do a site for you at a very reasonable price and they have packages.

Wordpress sounds like it's more what you want to do. I'd look at Elementor, they have stacks of templates and I think they will also do work for you as well. Wordpress itself now has a vast range of plugins and functionality as well as being very easy to work with and maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Yeah I've kinda come to the conclusion now to start again after talking with a few people. thanks for your help. at the very least the site will give other developers an idea of what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honestly?
    You would be better off starting with wordpress. It comes with WooCommerce which is free. You could modify an existing free template to look like yours (tip: make something known as a child theme If you do) or you could buy a really great them for around 60 dollars.

Obviously the above is if you want to do it yourself but using WordPress works out cheaper if paying someone else.

Trust me wordpress is the way to go. Also if you wanted to add any functionality to it (like I dunno, generated barcodes for orders that customers could scan in shops) there would be a million and one wordpress plugins to help any solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Discod

pm you, check please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Honestly?
    You would be better off starting with wordpress. .

Agree - especially if you expect page (business) to grow.
    Wordpress is easier to maintain, easier to teach someone to maintain it, easier to update, change a look or add new functionality. It has few small drawbacks but if you are not to fussy about website looking EXACTLY like you dreamed it, you will be glad you moved to Wordpress.

currently learning WordPress, thanks all for input

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

I've done WordPress sites with woo commerce integration. Its straight forward enough and there are loads of themes available to make it look and behave the way you want it to. Always get someone who hasn't seen it to test it for you from a user perspective and if it is a commerce website make sure you put enough effort into the emails that will be sent out by the system.

look into the TRADING ONLINE VOUCHERS offered by your Local Enterprise Boards also to see if you can get a grant for the development

Thanks for much for all the advice everyone.

So I did WordPress, Elementor pro, and WooCommerce. I spent about a week learning how to use it all by watching YouTube videos. I ended up only using a bare bones theme (hello) and building the site up from scratch. I also got a Trading Online Voucher to cover costs such as hosting, elementor pro, and i will be adding in marketing costs for Google etc.

All I can say is these programs are AMAZING. I would recommend any small business owner to learn them as websites need constant updating.

I would love to get some feedback on the site. It hasn't officially launched yet. I have just sent it to some friends to test etc. So making any edits where problems are coming up.

https://theivoryfeather.ie/

• Advertisement

Last thing I haven't done yet is WooCommerce shipping rates. Will probably do that today. Also I am struggling with the WooCommerce emails. They are going into people's spam. I think it's because the SPF record isn't right and I don't have a DKIM in my dns. I watched videos but still haven't been able to do it. Any advice ?

I had to take it back offline because it hasn't launched yet. I'll let you know when it's back up.

Website officially launched :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Looks good - simple but functional design which is enhanced by the pictures of your products (which look good by the way). You have SSL set up which would be the most important thing with commerce.

Fair play for taking it on yourself and getting up and running so quickly. That knowledge & ownership will give you the ability to make any changes you want/need and that advantage is huge.

Best of luck with your business!

There is something I need help with... The site is a bit slow and I would like to speed it up. I installed wp-rocket and that help a good bit. The main stumbling block is "eliminate render-blocking resources". Most of the wp-rocket settings that help with this cause problems with the appearance of my site so I have to toggle them off.

Should I hire someone or is there an easy fix?

There is something I need help with... The site is a bit slow and I would like to speed it up. I installed wp-rocket and that help a good bit. The main stumbling block is "eliminate render-blocking resources". Most of the wp-rocket settings that help with this cause problems with the appearance of my site so I have to toggle them off.

Render blocking resources are probably the images you have? The only thing you can do is optimise them in terms of size without impacting quality too much.

I certainly wouldn't hire anyone to do that

I reduced their size through photoshops image processor already. They are a little bigger than a normal picture for a website but we think users will zoom in on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Have you tried changing the slider plugin? Word press has many options so you can try a few. Also you should optimize the photos if you haven't, use some Software to reduce the size of all your photos. Lastly it could be the websites host, it might not be able to load pictures quickly.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Have you tried changing the slider plugin? Word press has many options so you can try a few. Also you should optimize the photos if you haven't, use some Software to reduce the size of all your photos. Lastly it could be the websites host, it might not be able to load pictures quickly.

Slider plugin? I'm just using the standard image slider on elementor if that is what you are talking about for my pics? I did optimize the pics, most of them are around 150-200kb they are big but the photos are very important in this work. I ran the website through some online speed tests and the score wasn't great, I'm starting to realize maybe it's no big deal and the site is fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I reduced their size through photoshops image processor already. They are a little bigger than a normal picture for a website but we think users will zoom in on them.

If you want users to be able to zoom in then have higher resolution versions as a separate click through. That way you can minimize the size of the initial images and allow the user to choose what they want to see in detail after loading.

They may not want to zoom on any, or maybe just one. But no need to slow the whole site down just on a chance they might want to.

• Advertisement

how much smaller should I make the pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Slider plugin? I'm just using the standard image slider on elementor if that is what you are talking about for my pics? I did optimize the pics, most of them are around 150-200kb they are big but the photos are very important in this work. I ran the website through some online speed tests and the score wasn't great, I'm starting to realize maybe it's no big deal and the site is fine...

Look in the add-ons for different sliders. Check some others out.

Could you also reduce the amount of photos in the slider album and say more pictures are on request. Tbh I didn't know if they were stock photos or legit photos from just looking at them, I'd probably do more close ups of just the writing on the paper, that might help reduce the size of the photos too.

Also as you said, the website could be just fine as it is.

If you want users to be able to zoom in then have higher resolution versions as a separate click through. That way you can minimize the size of the initial images and allow the user to choose what they want to see in detail after loading.

They may not want to zoom on any, or maybe just one. But no need to slow the whole site down just on a chance they might want to.

Yeah good idea there. Lazy loading is what you want:

https://kinsta.com/blog/wordpress-lazy-load/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭wba88

The Good
    Your server is fine
    You have 1 image loading which is optimised well (before a user scrolls -thanks to lazy loading)
    It's a nice looking site

The Bad
    Your site makes ~70 file requests before user interaction. 28 CSS and 32 JS. That's a lot. This is due to the use of Elementor and its plugins. Even though your cache is great it's still slow to load because of the amount of files and their size. If you're able to reduce some of that then you'll see an improvement

The Ugly (Non dev advice)
    Please put your prices on your website. Your website is a 24/7 salesperson, let it weed out people who aren't prepared to pay what you're charging and then you know the ones that do contact you know how much you charge and are still interested. It'll save you time in the long run. You can say contact us for bespoke orders etc. too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Constructive feedback on design - a lot of the content is difficult to read, particularly for older people and people with any degree of sight loss.

The main scheme of grey text on a white background doesn't provide enough contrast between text and background.

The ALLCAPS headings are hard to read, as people rely on the shape of the words to read. ALLCAPS words have no shape.

The cursive font used for the main heading isn't the most legible either. There's no point having stuff that looks beautiful if a chunk of your audience can't actually read it.

wba88 wrote: »
    The Good
    Your server is fine
    You have 1 image loading which is optimised well (before a user scrolls -thanks to lazy loading)
    It's a nice looking site

The Bad
    Your site makes ~70 file requests before user interaction. 28 CSS and 32 JS. That's a lot. This is due to the use of Elementor and its plugins. Even though your cache is great it's still slow to load because of the amount of files and their size. If you're able to reduce some of that then you'll see an improvement

The Ugly (Non dev advice)
    Please put your prices on your website. Your website is a 24/7 salesperson, let it weed out people who aren't prepared to pay what you're charging and then you know the ones that do contact you know how much you charge and are still interested. It'll save you time in the long run. You can say contact us for bespoke orders etc. too

The Good
    Thanks

The Bad
    Do you mean reduce plugins or reduce the css and Javascript? How would I go about identifying the CSS and JS to delete?

The Ugly
    This is actually something we put a lot of thought into, and we still don't know if it is right or not. It is working well at the moment though. The price list is automatically sent with the form submission. Obviously we could lose people from this method but we will have to test either way I suppose. I also use it as a conversion for Google and Facebook marketing. The people that submit that form are not Tyre kickers and therefore I tell marketing platforms to find lookalike audiences.

Thanks for the help.

Constructive feedback on design - a lot of the content is difficult to read, particularly for older people and people with any degree of sight loss.

The main scheme of grey text on a white background doesn't provide enough contrast between text and background.

The ALLCAPS headings are hard to read, as people rely on the shape of the words to read. ALLCAPS words have no shape.

The cursive font used for the main heading isn't the most legible either. There's no point having stuff that looks beautiful if a chunk of your audience can't actually read it.

I agree, I would have made it all much easier to read. My wife is the creator and founder of this business and that's how she wants it. It's more about art than function for her. I just do the business end of everything. She designed the website on paper and I just put it together.

One other thing older people struggle with is finding the menu on a mobile device. It is the Feather. We like it as it adds branding but we aren't sure if we are losing potential customers from it? Any opinions?

This is good advice
    The Bad
    Do you mean reduce plugins or reduce the css and Javascript? How would I go about identifying the CSS and JS to delete?
    It's always best to reduce your reliance on plugins.
    11 requests are from WooCommerce (somewhat acceptable)
    43 requests from Elementor (that's a lot but I don't know Elementor so it's hard to weed out the unneeded ones)
    It's a common issue, you're using an "all-in-one" builder so it's loading code for 100x more things than you want it to do. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've seen a lot worse and there's not an awful lot you can do unless you move away from Elementor and instead build off of a theme

The price list is automatically sent with the form submission.
    Ok, so it's not a matter of potential customers getting "price-shock" and you wanting to talk them through the validation of the pricing
    We use the price list as a treat in order to get peoples email addresses
    NO
    This enables us to send a follow up email and have their details as a lead
    NO
    I also use it as a conversion for Google and Facebook marketing. The people that submit that form are not Tyre kickers and therefore I tell marketing platforms to find lookalike audiences.
    PLEASE NO. STOP! :D

This is exactly why the GDPR was brought in. Just because the person gave you their email address (for a one-time exchange of information) does not constitute the explicit consent needed to use their personal information to contact them in the future (for sales purposes) or to use their email for marketing purposes.

I strongly advise you stop this immediately until you understand how to ask for their permissions for the above in accordance with GDPR. I would suggest listing the prices on the page with a contact form or information below it

p.s. Pricing shouldn't be hidden under About in the menu

wba88 wrote: »
    I strongly advise you stop this immediately until you understand how to ask for their permissions for the above in accordance with GDPR. I would suggest listing the prices on the page with a contact form or information below it

We say that this will happen in our privacy policy. The privacy policy is on the bottom of every page and I will include it on the cookie pop up too.

They get one automated email with the list and then a second 2 days later with more details about the price list and how we are honering the price based on low numbers due to Covid.

I probably worded it wrongly, saying we get their email details. It's just one email sent afterwards with more pricing details.

• Advertisement

We say that this will happen in our privacy policy. The privacy policy is on the bottom of every page and I will include it on the cookie pop up too.

They get one automated email with the list and then a second 2 days later with more details about the price list and how we are honering the price based on low numbers due to Covid.

I probably worded it wrongly, saying we get their email details. It's just one email sent afterwards with more pricing details.

Again I suggest you read up on GDPR if you want to keep doing that. It states that consent needs to be opt-in at the point that they are handing over their data i.e. they need to click a checkbox to allow you to contact them and use their email for marketing purposes. It is not enough that it is in your privacy policy

Advertisement