Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card machines in Taxis

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Ye really are making a mountain out of a molehill .
    A huge percentage of taxis have credit card machines .
    With freenow you can either sign up to pay by credit card or cash .
    If your flagging down a taxi just ask ... " do you take credit card "?
    If he / she doesn't you won't be waiting long before the next one has a credit card machine .
    Put it this way .... If you were going on a journey for over €100 you can be sure the TAXIDRIVER will have a credit card machine .

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

How would the public know who is good and bad? It's not as if they have it on their sign. I thought I was obliged to take the first taxi in a rank?

(I'm a very infrequent taxi user so apologies if things have changed. I'd say it's 5 years since I sat in a taxi that I was paying for).

With freenow taxis you can download their app and you can put together your own TAXIDRIVERS list from their list of drivers .
    I know freenow customers that have a list of over 10 drivers, who they get on with and they can hail a taxi from that list .
    You get to know the quality of driver and their car so you decide .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

With freenow taxis you can download their app and you can put together your own TAXIDRIVERS list from their list of drivers .
    I know freenow customers that have a list of over 10 drivers, who they get on with and they can hail a taxi from that list .
    You get to know the quality of driver and their car so you decide .
    Fair enough. (As someone who probably gets a taxi once every 5 years, I have no knowledge/need of such apps.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I was using a card machine in a cab in Hamburg in 2006, and still they wont take them here unless you've booked on an app. Ridiculous in this day and age.

Why is it ridiculous? Taxi drivers should be subservient to the whims of the type of eejit who doesn't carry cash?

If you don't carry cash at all times and then throw a wobbler when a vendor has better sense than to collaborate in our descent into the hell of a cashless society you only have yourself to blame. Tap and go typically takes longer than a cash transaction, not to mention a good half of vendors don't even allow you see exactly how much you are tapping for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Why is it ridiculous? Taxi drivers should be subservient to the whims of the type of eejit who doesn't carry cash?

Yeah god forbid someone providing a service for money should adapt said service to better suit the needs of their customers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not really, I often ask if the customer has the cash to pay, most legit customers will check their wallet to see if they have enough, any scammers that I've fell to don't ever look in the wallet.

The comeback is that you need to get the Gardai to attend ( good luck with that on a Friday/Saturday night ) if you're not able to keep the non payer in the car while you deliver them to the Garda Station.

Again one of the problems with a mobile service industry, restraunts etc. tend to have built a local relationship with the local Gards.

If I got into a taxi and was asked "can you really afford me or "how much money do you have?" I wouldn't be long in hopping out and getting another taxi.

Also, any experienced scammer would have no bother perfectly lying to your face anyway. I was in the Garda Reserve when it first started years ago for a few years and there was a serial taxi jumper who'd take taxis from town out to the wilds of South County Dublin running fares of 40+ quid a go that experienced drivers kept falling for. Never caught up with him as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

G_R wrote: »
    Yeah god forbid someone providing a service for money should adapt said service to better suit the needs of their customers...

Why should a vendor provide a payment method that is generally slower than cash?

I can see why big business do- it saves them the cost of more frequent Brinks collections. And some can screw the customer out of the occasional few quid as most clowns who do tap and go never insist on seeing exactly how much they are tapping for.

But a taxi?

Next you'll be wanting them to wear uniforms.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Why should a vendor provide a payment method that is generally slower than cash?

I can see why big business do- it saves them the cost of more frequent Brinks collections. And some can screw the customer out of the occasional few quid as most clowns who do tap and go never insist on seeing exactly how much they are tapping for.

But a taxi?

Next you'll be wanting them to wear uniforms.

Simple answer to your first queation is, thats how some customers want to pay. Think of people trying to expense stuff, cash is a pain in the arse. Cash is also more expensive for people to use (costs me about 40c to withdraw 20eur, tapping a card is free) - if someone is using a credit card instead of a debit card, it will cost considerably more.

It doesn't need to be a sum up machine that you try and connect to your phone using Bluetooth. How about a proper set up like they have in other countries/cities?

For example, last time i was in NY, I paid for all taxis using card. The machine was mounted in the middle on the back. I said pay with card, driver pressed a button on the meter, I confirmed the price and added a tip and then I swiped my card (would be tap or chip and pin here, but you get the idea).

I've seen similar set ups in many other cities.

Would also make Taxi Drivers less of a target for criminals if it was known that they didn't carry as much cash.

And I couldn't care less what the driver is wearing provided he/she is wearing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Contactless card payments are far quicker than cash (unless your fare is exactly one note)

I know a couple of taxi drivers. They prefer cash for tax and tipping reasons.

But they offer card payments because that’s what some people want.

No big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Guessing you've never experienced the glacial speed most taxi drivers count out change at. It's usually slow as rust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

I remember hearing that, too.

To be honest, I haven't been in a taxi in years, but i rarely ever have cash on me, so it surprises me that aren't all taking card by now anyway.

Oh have you a barcode on your neck!? Show off 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

I arrived into Dublin airport last week and went to get the Expressway Bus Eireann bus back home, there was a ticket machine at the stop in zone 13, which had an option for paying by card. Tried to buy the ticket, card option wasn't working, the bus driver didn't take card either AND they weren't selling tickets online due to covid and not guaranteeing a seat or something ridiculous.

they should have them IMO, it's bad enough Ireland doesn't have much of an Uber presence.

Actually we are very behind, compared to other EU countries.

Rang bus eireann and the young girl on the phone just said 'eh can ya not just take out cash' my god hahaha how old fashioned...

anyway you get my point

they should have them IMO, it's bad enough Ireland doesn't have much of an Uber presence.

Actually we are very behind, compared to other EU countries.

I arrived into Dublin airport last week and went to get the Expressway Bus Eireann bus back home, there was a ticket machine at the stop in zone 13, which had an option for paying by card. Tried to buy the ticket, card option wasn't working, the bus driver didn't take card either AND they weren't selling tickets online due to covid and not guaranteeing a seat or something ridiculous.

Rang bus eireann and the young girl on the phone just said 'eh can ya not just take out cash' my god hahaha how old fashioned...

anyway you get my point

And you never thought to go to an atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Tap and go typically takes longer than a cash transaction
    the hell of a cashless society

LOL
    You're either a taxi driver or someone who subscribes to a new world order conspiracy

I haven't come across a single merchant or anyone who requires payment for goods or services (big or small) who won't accept card in the last 3 years...except for taxi drivers. The last people in Ireland not to take cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Dunno where ye are all based but having gotten a few taxis over the last week while my own jalopy was out of commission every one of them took card payment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

triona1 wrote: »
    And you never thought to go to an atm?

ATM transactions have a cost, and not everyone's bank gives them unlimited withdrawals.

Also, as has been said, using an ATM and trying to expense a journey is a pain. Maybe you haven't had to expense travel before, but it's quite common for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I never use cash for anything these days, it's a nuisance and way easier to use my phone or card to pay for things. Taxis don't want cards to become norm because that means they'd have to pay all their taxes like everyone else. Simple as that, anyone who thinks otherwise is naive to the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If I got into a taxi and was asked "can you really afford me or "how much money do you have?" I wouldn't be long in hopping out and getting another taxi.

Also, any experienced scammer would have no bother perfectly lying to your face anyway. I was in the Garda Reserve when it first started years ago for a few years and there was a serial taxi jumper who'd take taxis from town out to the wilds of South County Dublin running fares of 40+ quid a go that experienced drivers kept falling for. Never caught up with him as far as I remember.

Id (figuratively) open the door for you to get out and welcome you leaving, as a Garda reserve you should be aware of the legal entitlement for a driver to satisfy themselves by asking if you can afford the taxi.
    The driver may request the customer to give a deposit, or to show proof that they are able to pay the fare, before agreeing to the hire.

From
    https://www.transportforireland.ie/getting-around/by-taxi/customer-information/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If I was guaranteed that I could use my card in a taxi, I'd be far more likely to flag one down myself rather than to use FreeNow.

I couldn't possibly suggest a reason why, in my experience at least, a significant proportion of taxi drivers don't use a form of payment processing easily traceble by Revenue.

similar to how the card machines in some Chinese takeaways seem to be permanently broken , its a complete mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

crazy 88 wrote: »
    I haven't come across a single merchant or anyone who requires payment for goods or services (big or small) who won't accept card in the last 3 years...except for taxi drivers. The last people in Ireland not to take cards.

You mustn't have had reason to use the services of a Solicitor....ever (not the big 100-associate Guys...they wouldn't want to see most of us anyway)

As for most Private Medical Consultants. They will practically demand Cash (while charging hundreds for a 10 minute Consultation). Many will have their Secretary tell you in advance that only cash will be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You mustn't have had reason to use the services of a Solicitor....ever (not the big 100-associate Guys...they wouldn't want to see most of us anyway)

I’ve only used solicitors three times in my life and each time they wanted to be paid by EFT.
    As for most Private Medical Consultants. They will practically demand Cash (while charging hundreds for a 10 minute Consultation). Many will have their Secretary tell you in advance that only cash will be accepted.

I’ve literally never come across this.

Are you an illegal immigrant in New York in the 80s by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

No need for the Sarky NY comment. It doesn't really help anything you have to say.

Have a look at any of the recent Tax defaulters lists.

Plenty of solicitors and Medical Practitioners there. Remember, that's only the folks who were caught.

I presume you have Private Health insurance, so probably wouldn't be aware of how most Consultants deal with non-insured clients.
    As for solicitors looking for EFT's....how exactly did that evolve ?
    Did they trust you to transfer funds after they provided a service to yourself ?
    I find it hard to believe that a solicitor would request an EFT for any run-of-the-mill personal dealings.

Surely a Cheque would have been the simpler option (assuming they were afraid of Cash ;)).

No need for the Sarky NY comment. It doesn't really help anything you have to say.

Have a look at any of the recent Tax defaulters lists.

Plenty of solicitors and Medical Practitioners there. Remember, that's only the folks who were caught.

I presume you have Private Health insurance, so probably wouldn't be aware of how most Consultants deal with non-insured clients.
    As for solicitors looking for EFT's....how exactly did that evolve ?
    Did they trust you to transfer funds after they provided a service to yourself ?
    I find it hard to believe that a solicitor would request an EFT for any run-of-the-mill personal dealings.

Surely a Cheque would have been the simpler option (assuming they were afraid of Cash ;)).

In fairness to markpb, you were bringing it off topic by having a go at big 100 solicitors not providing services and high medical consultant rates for some reason.

Bringing it back on topic about taxi drivers not accepting cards - taxi drivers are more akin to small grocery shops or cafés with the amount of cash they deal with. All these businesses take cards and don't complain about fees.

No I haven't used a solicitor...ever. The last time I went to a private medical consultant, cards in shops/contactless hadn't taken off. Any dentist or GP I've been to recently has taken a card. While it's not ideal, knowing how much cash you have to bring in advance isn't so bad. And you won't be walking out with a load of annoying coins in change like you would be after getting out of a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

crazy 88 wrote: »

My GP didn't accept cards until Covid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is only one consultant specialty who generally still insist on cash - anesthetists - and I suspect that is down to the likelihood that the cheque will bounce / card will be stopped should their patient not survive the operation afterwards!

Card terminals were becoming common for other consultants a decade ago and they've always taken cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Duckjob wrote: »
    Because if they have a card machine they can't look at you with cold dead eyes when you hand over €10 for your €8.20 fare and ask them if they've got change.

Partly why I so rarely use taxis- will walk or public transport if I have to. Never know how much it’s going to cost (usually very expensive) with the guilt of rounding up as they fumble with change they don’t want to give you. Not worth the bother.
    Got one from Dublin port to the airport this year early one morning and it was the guts of €30. Even though it was for work it’s not something I’d do unless stuck/raining

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Mr.S wrote: »
    The look of horror when you ask if they accept card payments, you'd swear it was witchcraft or something. If travelling for work - I need to pay via card, and if it's a personal trip - it's very unlikely that I will have cash on me, so it was always a joy when you get to the rank.

A lot of the drivers at Dublin Airport must be very unlucky, their card machines always seem to be down and won't take you without cash ;)

I've given up using the rank there - just use FreeNow / Uber and go to the designated pickup zone and with zero hassle.

Us non airport permit taxi drivers thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr.S wrote: »
    The look of horror when you ask if they accept card payments, you'd swear it was witchcraft or something. If travelling for work - I need to pay via card, and if it's a personal trip - it's very unlikely that I will have cash on me, so it was always a joy when you get to the rank.

A lot of the drivers at Dublin Airport must be very unlucky, their card machines always seem to be down and won't take you without cash ;)

I've given up using the rank there - just use FreeNow / Uber and go to the designated pickup zone and with zero hassle.

Business freeNow account. Give a code to employees to link then they can select personal or business in the same app. Links to expensing tools if you need it too. Fierce handy.

Use it a lot for work, non app lads are missing out on a big segment.

Advertisement