Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Card machines in Taxis

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You mustn't have had reason to use the services of a Solicitor....ever (not the big 100-associate Guys...they wouldn't want to see most of us anyway)

I’ve only used solicitors three times in my life and each time they wanted to be paid by EFT.
    As for most Private Medical Consultants. They will practically demand Cash (while charging hundreds for a 10 minute Consultation). Many will have their Secretary tell you in advance that only cash will be accepted.

I’ve literally never come across this.

Are you an illegal immigrant in New York in the 80s by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

No need for the Sarky NY comment. It doesn't really help anything you have to say.

Have a look at any of the recent Tax defaulters lists.

Plenty of solicitors and Medical Practitioners there. Remember, that's only the folks who were caught.

I presume you have Private Health insurance, so probably wouldn't be aware of how most Consultants deal with non-insured clients.
    As for solicitors looking for EFT's....how exactly did that evolve ?
    Did they trust you to transfer funds after they provided a service to yourself ?
    I find it hard to believe that a solicitor would request an EFT for any run-of-the-mill personal dealings.

Surely a Cheque would have been the simpler option (assuming they were afraid of Cash ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

No need for the Sarky NY comment. It doesn't really help anything you have to say.

Have a look at any of the recent Tax defaulters lists.

Plenty of solicitors and Medical Practitioners there. Remember, that's only the folks who were caught.

I presume you have Private Health insurance, so probably wouldn't be aware of how most Consultants deal with non-insured clients.
    As for solicitors looking for EFT's....how exactly did that evolve ?
    Did they trust you to transfer funds after they provided a service to yourself ?
    I find it hard to believe that a solicitor would request an EFT for any run-of-the-mill personal dealings.

Surely a Cheque would have been the simpler option (assuming they were afraid of Cash ;)).

In fairness to markpb, you were bringing it off topic by having a go at big 100 solicitors not providing services and high medical consultant rates for some reason.

Bringing it back on topic about taxi drivers not accepting cards - taxi drivers are more akin to small grocery shops or cafés with the amount of cash they deal with. All these businesses take cards and don't complain about fees.
    You mustn't have had reason to use the services of a Solicitor....ever (not the big 100-associate Guys...they wouldn't want to see most of us anyway)

No I haven't used a solicitor...ever. The last time I went to a private medical consultant, cards in shops/contactless hadn't taken off. Any dentist or GP I've been to recently has taken a card. While it's not ideal, knowing how much cash you have to bring in advance isn't so bad. And you won't be walking out with a load of annoying coins in change like you would be after getting out of a taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭PreCocious

crazy 88 wrote: »
    I haven't come across a single merchant or anyone who requires payment for goods or services (big or small) who won't accept card in the last 3 years...except for taxi drivers. The last people in Ireland not to take cards.

My GP didn't accept cards until Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is only one consultant specialty who generally still insist on cash - anesthetists - and I suspect that is down to the likelihood that the cheque will bounce / card will be stopped should their patient not survive the operation afterwards!

Card terminals were becoming common for other consultants a decade ago and they've always taken cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Duckjob wrote: »
    Because if they have a card machine they can't look at you with cold dead eyes when you hand over €10 for your €8.20 fare and ask them if they've got change.

Partly why I so rarely use taxis- will walk or public transport if I have to. Never know how much it’s going to cost (usually very expensive) with the guilt of rounding up as they fumble with change they don’t want to give you. Not worth the bother.
    Got one from Dublin port to the airport this year early one morning and it was the guts of €30. Even though it was for work it’s not something I’d do unless stuck/raining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

Mr.S wrote: »
    The look of horror when you ask if they accept card payments, you'd swear it was witchcraft or something. If travelling for work - I need to pay via card, and if it's a personal trip - it's very unlikely that I will have cash on me, so it was always a joy when you get to the rank.

A lot of the drivers at Dublin Airport must be very unlucky, their card machines always seem to be down and won't take you without cash ;)

I've given up using the rank there - just use FreeNow / Uber and go to the designated pickup zone and with zero hassle.

Us non airport permit taxi drivers thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr.S wrote: »
    The look of horror when you ask if they accept card payments, you'd swear it was witchcraft or something. If travelling for work - I need to pay via card, and if it's a personal trip - it's very unlikely that I will have cash on me, so it was always a joy when you get to the rank.

A lot of the drivers at Dublin Airport must be very unlucky, their card machines always seem to be down and won't take you without cash ;)

I've given up using the rank there - just use FreeNow / Uber and go to the designated pickup zone and with zero hassle.

Business freeNow account. Give a code to employees to link then they can select personal or business in the same app. Links to expensing tools if you need it too. Fierce handy.

Use it a lot for work, non app lads are missing out on a big segment.

Advertisement