Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best rat traps?

Options
  • 07-12-2020 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all, just found out we have rats in the small garage area at the side of our house. It's not well insulated or protected and easy enough for anything to get in. It seems they've tried to burrow under the house too. Usually have mice every couple of years but that's easily dealt with. Can anyone advise what the best brand of rat traps are? From reading it seems best not to use poison. The area is a bit cluttered, I'd assume clearing it out is the right thing to do first? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Danny2580 wrote: »
    The area is a bit cluttered, I'd assume clearing it out is the right thing to do first? Thanks!

Wrong! That's the last thing ye want to do, at this stage, Danny.

And, as for not utilising bait against an active domestic rat incursion? I don't know who's been writing the stuff you've read. Brothers Grimm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Use poison if it's outside the house and traps

Don't leave any food about

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Thanks guys.

Just from reading previous posts on here the consensus was that traps are most effective Stigura. What do you reckon is the best path forward? Cheers for taking the time to reply.

Danny; In case ye've spotted that I'm back in here and ye wondering why I'm not answering? I'm just eating my dinner! LOL! Back presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭howsshenow

Large Wooden traps with peanut butter work best here.
    Minimises risk to other wildlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Thanks guys.

Just from reading previous posts on here the consensus was that traps are most effective Stigura. What do you reckon is the best path forward? Cheers for taking the time to reply.

I think poison not recommended indoors as if rat dies the smell is apparently horrendous if you can't locate it to dispose of.

Putting poison outside doesn't pose that problem, obviously make sure it's safe if you have kids.

We have a rat in our attic at the moment, even typing the word rat makes me shudder. It's entry point was alluding us til yesterday so praying we catch the thing now. It has avoided taking any bait, cheese peanut butter, you name we've tried it. I saw on a post on boards from years ago that 50/50 antifreeze and water works well as highly toxic. We put that down last night so just waiting on husband to go and check now!

Good luck!

Bobbins wrote: »
    I think poison not recommended indoors as if rat dies the smell is apparently horrendous if you can't locate it to dispose of.

Putting poison outside doesn't pose that problem, obviously make sure it's safe if you have kids.

We have a rat in our attic at the moment, even typing the word rat makes me shudder. It's entry point was alluding us til yesterday so praying we catch the thing now. It has avoided taking any bait, cheese peanut butter, you name we've tried it. I saw on a post on boards from years ago that 50/50 antifreeze and water works well as highly toxic. We put that down last night so just waiting on husband to go and check now!

Good luck!

Melted chocolate onto a trap

Drives them wild

Antifreeze.is.deadly if any pets get it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The best rat trap IMO is this one:

Quick, humane, highly effective, long lasting.
    Placed in the right spot it'll get them all

Not cheap though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHdTJ8XaPzM

Okay, Danny. I've said before, on here, that I'm loathe to discuss rodent control on open fora.

Reason being that people tend to read what I may say to You. Then, think they know and will later regurgitate a part of what I said. Or in the wrong context. There's quite enough rot talked, out there, without me adding fuel to it.

I'm willing to discuss ye individual situation, privately. I've about cleared my case load, for now. Yours, on the face of it, sounds a pretty straightforward case anyway.

Your call. My PM box is at your disposal :)

peasant wrote: »

Not cheap though

Ya.seen them before have you tried it

Aren't they mad.dear

• Advertisement

Rats are more suspicious than mice

If you can mix up the latest gen poison with chocolate and peanut butter while avoiding hand contact that will do the job

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Ya.seen them before have you tried it

Aren't they mad.dear

Yes, I own one and yes they are expensive.

I put mine on a home made stand that I can move around and have used it in several locations and cleared those of rats (compost heap, greenhouse, a rat run that somehow led to my attic)

Used to have a rat problem for years ..not anymore.

Why I think they are worth the money:
    - They are set and forget. You may have to remove the odd dead rat now and then (if other wildlife doesn't take care of that for you) but that's it. As long as the trap has gas left, it will work.
    - They kill quickly and cleanly. No maiming, no trapping of limbs, no prolonged agony.
    -They are safe for other animals (cats, dogs, birds)
    - not poisonous

The bait that comes with the trap does work, in some locations other bait works better though.

We had rats congregating around the bird feeder. The supplied bait got one or two ... modified the bait to birdseed and got a lot more.

Have had mine now for three (or four?) years, always outside, still works flawlessly.

Which reminds me ...need to find a source for CO2 cartridges locally...buying them from Goodnature is stupidly expensive. Don't mind paying for the trap, but a CO2 cartridge should be cheap :D

Yes, I own one and yes they are expensive.

I put mine on a home made stand that I can move around and have used it in several locations and cleared those of rats (compost heap, greenhouse, a rat run that somehow led to my attic)

Used to have a rat problem for years ..not anymore.

Why I think they are worth the money:
    - They are set and forget. You may have to remove the odd dead rat now and then (if other wildlife doesn't take care of that for you) but that's it. As long as the trap has gas left, it will work.
    - They kill quickly and cleanly. No maiming, no trapping of limbs, no prolonged agony.
    -They are safe for other animals (cats, dogs, birds)
    - not poisonous

The bait that comes with the trap does work, in some locations other bait works better though.

we had rats congregating around the bird feeder. The supplied bait got one or two ... modified the bait to birdseed and got a lot more.

Have had mine now for three (or four?) years, always outside, still works flawlessly.

Which reminds me ...need to find a source for CO2 cartridges locally...buying them form Goodnature is stupidly expensive. Don't mind paying for the trap, but a CO2 catridge should be cheap :D

I liked the idea when I saw them

How many rats have you killed with it?

What attracts them to it , what's the bait?

Scrap that last bit I see u answered it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As long as they are not in the house you can use poison. Use blocks with holes, put light tying wire through them and put them in 3'' pipe. Biggest danger is they will find a way into the house.

In future put the poison out in late September and keep an eye on the bait points Rats generally will return to where they come from if they get suck. Therefore if you poison them on first coming into your yard they will go back to the outside to die

Slava Ukrainii

Diggers moved in across the road recently

Next thing I had a small rat on the house , first time ever, I had the doors open a bit working so my fault

Got him with the plastic trap and melted chocolate under the floorboards

Which reminds me ...need to find a source for CO2 cartridges locally...buying them from Goodnature is stupidly expensive. Don't mind paying for the trap, but a CO2 cartridge should be cheap :D

A word to the wise there? They reckon there's something about their canisters that sets them apart?

Forgive me; These are just 'after my time' so, I'm not completely up to speed with them. But, yeah; I've seen the lads discussing them. Can't remember what it is now. Silicone? Graphite? Something about the seals? Dunno.

I remember someone saying 'Surely ye could apply it yeself?'. But, all things considered ....?

I liked the idea when I saw them

How many rats have you killed with it?

I've gone through four cartridges now.
    There has been some loss due to testing and I think one cartridge leaked a bit.

So that should be about 80 rats - x for loss, say 50+ or so (I physically disposed of about 20 or so, the rest something else got ..we live in the country)

That's over 3-4 years

The major breakthrough was when we finally got the big suspicious territorial daddy rat. That had been resident here for quite a while and constantly started new families with new females. Since he's gone, everything is pretty quiet.
    I don't hink we have residents anymore, just occasional scavenging visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

A cat works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have one of those A24 for a long time now, the Baits have changed over the years, they used to be a plastic bottle full of long life peanut butter, the new baits are self dispensing with a chemical propellant that forces the chocolatish bait out.
    The Cartridges are Co2 with a 5g dose of silicone oil in them, I haven't found them available with the threaded neck anywhere apart from Goodnature.
    Airsoft cylinders are available with silicone oil but are not threaded DAMHIK.
    I tend to alternate between one genuine and one plain Co2 and my trap is still working.
    Its killed plenty of rats and there is no risk to other wildlife like you have with secondary poisoning which is where another animal eats a poisoned rat and dies.
    I have the optional counter on mine because I often found the cylinder empty but no bodies due to scavenging and wanted an accurate count of shots fired.
    In NZ they have released a new part called Chirp which is a bluetooth linked cap and that gives a lot more information back to your phone of events and times and areas for multiple traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Poison is destructive to other wildlife, such a last century method. Can't believe people haven't moved on from this.

• Advertisement

Melted chocolate onto a trap

Drives them wild

Antifreeze.is.deadly if any pets get it

Thanks Pasteur, we will try the melted chocolate. Yes the antifreeze is in the attic so nobody but the rat in danger from that. This one would qualify for Mensa, hasn't touched a thing, can't cope. 3 smallies here so petrified of it getting into the actual house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Poison is destructive to other wildlife, such a last century method. Can't believe people haven't moved on from this.

Not as destructive as homo sapiens

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not as destructive as homo sapiens

No sh1t, sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Have had plenty of success in the past catching mice by using a piece of a chomp bar mixed in with cotton woll (pulling it off earbuds will suffice) and using it as bait. They tend to pull at the cotton to try and remove the toffee and chocolate from it, often setting the trap in the process. Has worked very well for me. Tried it with the first set of rat traps I put down last night and caught one. Will report back, thanks for all the replies so far.

Have had plenty of success in the past catching mice by using a piece of a chomp bar mixed in with cotton woll (pulling it off earbuds will suffice) and using it as bait. They tend to pull at the cotton to try and remove the toffee and chocolate from it, often setting the trap in the process. Has worked very well for me. Tried it with the first set of rat traps I put down last night and caught one. Will report back, thanks for all the replies so far.

Let us know how it goes. We got a guy with ferrets to call today but no luck finding the fecker! Going to invest in the cartridge thingys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Not cheap though

We're beside two parks, one is 290 acres with a river 50 metres away. We've never had rats in the house, but we have them wondering over to the gardens all the time, we feed birds too. This looks like an excellent solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭delboythedub

Bobbins wrote: »

Good luck!
    Try baiting with a small piece of well cooked rasher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not cheap though

Its the huge fecker at 2:02 who drags the dead rat under the adjacent gap :eek:

Btw what kills the rats in that device?

Edit. A word to those with a problem with rats etc. Stay away from poison bait if ye can. Poisoned rodents will get eaten by wildlife and pets. Rats & mice can also cache bait away from the baited area and into sheds and houses. They can also contaminate hay and feed with the poison they cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

gozunda wrote: »
    Its the huge fecker at 2:02 who drags the dead rat under the adjacent gap :eek:

Btw what kills the rats in that device?

Edit. A word to those with a problem with rats etc. Stay away from poison bait if ye can. Poisoned rodents will get eaten by wildlife and pets. Rats & mivlce can also cache bait away from the baited area and into sheds and houses. They can also contaminate hay and feed with the poison they cache.

100%, excellent advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    We're beside two parks, one is 290 acres with a river 50 metres away. We've never had rats in the house, but we have them wondering over to the gardens all the time, we feed birds too. This looks like an excellent solution.

Don't go fixing them to the house and drawing in rats if the rats are out in the field atm

Advertisement