Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LGFA Issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

dobman88 wrote: »
    Wow. This actually cant be stressed enough. Its staggering the amount of people with an opinion on this who havent a breeze. GAA, bad. Equality, misogyny, men bad. The LGFA is a ladies organisation with a female at the head of it. Its staggering the amount of misdirected and uninformed nonsense being spouted about this issue.
    They were travelling in two busses other than one player who we driving. Should have been capable of getting from Kinnegad to Croke Park in not much more than an hour. Generating some amount of coverage today, featured four times on Morning Ireland alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

amlinopta wrote: »
    They were travelling in two busses other than one player who we driving. Should have been capable of getting from Kinnegad to Croke Park in not much more than an hour. Generating some amount of coverage today, featured four times on Morning Ireland alone

It's been blown out of all proportion and they're losing focus of the main issue which is the complete shambles that is the LGFA hierarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Frogeye wrote:
    Not sure about that!! this is form 2020.....

Frogeye wrote:
    "throw in" was delayed....

Bonniedog wrote:
    If you read the piece, it says that main problem was in cusack.

Bonniedog wrote:
    I was on the hill for that and like for most matches it was full before the game. Anyone who turns up late for big game won't get a good spot.

I was in the cusack that evening and arrived at 6.45.

The problem wasn't fans arriving late, it was the idiots didn't have enough turnstiles open.

The turnstiles nearest the main entrance gates were all closed which meant a large crowd were queuing at the central turnstiles.

I was in section 302 that night. This meant I had to walk the full length of the stand to the far turnstiles as the queue was mental at the central one ( the queue was pretty bad at the far turnstiles too) and the full length of the stand again back to 302.

It took me over half an hour from the time I entered the main gates to get to my seat. Worst of all, I even missed my pre-match pint!!!!

It was a cock up on croke park's part and nothing to do with fans arriving late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Wow. This actually cant be stressed enough. Its staggering the amount of people with an opinion on this who havent a breeze. GAA, bad. Equality, misogyny, men bad. The LGFA is a ladies organisation with a female at the head of it. Its staggering the amount of misdirected and uninformed nonsense being spouted about this issue.

Yes, well there a lot of people only to quick to attack "the gah" over anything.

Cora Staunton's reference to "second class citizens" is risible given as you say that the LGFA is run by other "second class citizens."!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Bonniedog wrote: »
    You cared enough to read and respond to the thread!.

It's filling up my newsfeed. With predicable headlines and narrative.

If there was a sport where the main talent was bitching and moaning they'd be miles ahead of the men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Why was the game scheduled for Parnell Park anyways. With no crowd involved it could have been played anywhere, particularly a neutral venue between the two counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not sure what this person means about the timeline. Seems like they had plenty of it and spent time messing around once they got to croke park. In Kinnegad at 11 so they were in CP by 12. Seems like complaining cos they lost is all it's based on after terrible organisation.

https://twitter.com/sinead_farrell7/status/1335956104409444353?s=19

The Galway manager said they arrived in CP at 12.30 and were on the pitch at 1

What in hell were they doing in a dressing room for 30 mins?

If they were only in the dressing room 20 mins instead of 30 there's the time for their warm up

Why was the game scheduled for Parnell Park anyways. With no crowd involved it could have been played anywhere, particularly a neutral venue between the two counties.

If there was a pitch voted "most likely to have match called off", PP would be odds on every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

RonaVirus wrote: »
    Very few people care. It's a niche sport, purporting to something bigger and more important.

The media try to push it, mostly by focusing the grievances and giving out about how few people watch, mixed with the general "women deserve xyz" trumpet.

A badminton tournament having to be relocated at short notice due to a burst pipe holds about as much interest for the general public as yesterdays events.

Thats absolute bull.

You are confusing "I dont care" with "Very few people care".

A lot of people describe themselves as GAA fans, but actually they are just fans of a very narrow segment of the GAA - that is, how the mens senior county team gets on at the latter stages of the all Ireland.

Yes, well there a lot of people only to quick to attack "the gah" over anything.

Cora Staunton's reference to "second class citizens" is risible given as you say that the LGFA is run by other "second class citizens."!

Women's AI Semi Final rescheduled because mens team have a training session would be second class citizen enough for me, but maybe you have different definitions of what it means.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »

If they were only in the dressing room 20 mins instead of 30 there's the time for their warm up

Bus arrives into Croke Park.

People get off the bus.

People walk to dressing room.

That could take ten minutes in itself.

Why do we need to even spell this **** out.

It says everything about this website, the male dominance of it, that these attitudes are allowed to flourish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭blue note

This was such a mess. While it's not really a GAA issue, I don't understand why Limerick didn't just go down the road for their training session to LIT or UL or Na Piarsaigh. Surely it wouldn't have made a huge difference to them and if the Gaelic Grounds was the best place for the match Limerick GAA should have given it to them. They might not be the same organisation, but they're not entirely separate either! Their members are members of shared clubs, people pay one family membership to be members of a club affiliated with both organisations. They're closely enough aligned that Limerick GAA should have said sorry lads, you'll have to train on one of the other excellent facilities that day.

That said, when the LGFA found out that they might not have access to the Gaelic Grounds it was incredibly stupid to fix the game for there. It reminds me of the Camogie final a few years ago that had to be rescheduled because of a hurling final replay. Incredibly stupid to pick a date that you're not certain of having the pitch. And how Parnell Park was the second choice after the Gaelic Grounds I'll never understand.

And surely they could have delayed throw in for the lads in the event of extra time? This happens all the time when minor matches are on beforehand and sky and RTE cope perfectly well. I wouldn't be surprised if the LGFA didn't even investigate this but after it was moved they should have.

And if the girls didn't have time for a proper warm up the match shouldn't have gone ahead. If they had time and were too slow getting out of their changing room that's another story.

Overall it's a complete mess of a situation and you have to feel sorry for the girls. I suspect the vast majority of the blame lies with the LGFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wherever

Can anyone explain the level at which the GAA becomes 'men only'? Are girls & boys , men & women equal members of the many GAA clubs around the country? If this the case, why then are all county and provincial facilities owned by a 'men only ' society and why is State and Lottery money given to this type of organization?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Women's AI Semi Final rescheduled because mens team have a training session would be second class citizen enough for me, but maybe you have different definitions of what it means.

I don't get your reference to the men's training session?

wherever wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the level at which the GAA becomes 'men only'? Are girls & boys , men & women equal members of the many GAA clubs around the country? If this the case, why then are all county and provincial facilities owned by a 'men only ' society and why is State and Lottery money given to this type of organization?

They're equal members all over the country. I'm involved in 2 GAA clubs, the one where I'm from and where I currently live now and there is a heavy female presence in all aspects of the club, not just the ladies committee which is all that was available years ago.

The LGFA is at fault for the Cork Galway shambles at the weekend. Not the GAA. They are 2 separate organisations. The LGFA, which has a female president, wanted a split away and got one. It's entirely their own fault and nothing at all to do with the GAA

You do realise that's again the fault of the LGFA and not the GAA or the Limerick hurlers. That was a mental agreement to enter into and its backfired spectacularly. It was agreed in advance that if Limerick progressed in the AI series, the Gaelic Grounds would be unavailable. And for some strange reason, nobody in the LGFA hierarchy saw a problem with this.

The LGFA released a statement saying the same as I've said above that they knew in advance so it wasn't just a case that the womens game was moved to accommodate a mens training session.

wherever wrote: »

Girls and womens football teams and camogie teams are almost invariably part of same clubs as boys and girls.

The Camogie association is over a century old and organises women's matches but its players share the same funding and facilities of whatever clubs they belong to. Same with LGFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Even arriving for a junior club challenge game at your home pitch you'd do well to get everyone into the dressing room, togged and ready to play in half an hour. What do you think they were doing for 30 minutes?

This wasn't a training session they were showing up for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If the Galway team found out at 10,53 that the game was switched to CP and that the start was changed to 1pm and the journey time is estimated at 50mins from kinnegad, why didn’t they arrive earlier than 12.30 ?

I don't get your reference to the men's training session?

The game was originally to be in Limerick, and was moved as Limerick County Board (as is their right) decided they wanted to hold a training session for the mens hurling team instead.

I know you can get bogged down in the semantics of it, but the optics of this are awful.

• Advertisement

You do realise that's again the fault of the LGFA and not the GAA or the Limerick hurlers. That was a mental agreement to enter into and its backfired spectacularly. It was agreed in advance that if Limerick progressed in the AI series, the Gaelic Grounds would be unavailable. And for some strange reason, nobody in the LGFA hierarchy saw a problem with this.

The LGFA released a statement saying the same as I've said above that they knew in advance so it wasn't just a case that the womens game was moved to accommodate a mens training session.

What other choices did the have available to them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

elefant wrote: »
    Even arriving for a junior club challenge game at your home pitch you'd do well to get everyone into the dressing room, togged and ready to play in half an hour. What do you think they were doing for 30 minutes?

This wasn't a training session they were showing up for!

Cold day you be changing fast and keeping warm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Could this have been played in Thurles,UL.Dont Limerick Has have a centre of excellence in Martin's town paid for by JP McManus and a football place in Rathkeale

What other choices did the have available to them?

That's a matter for the LGFA. They should have had a plan in place instead of entering a poor agreement and hoping for the best. Could have tried Thurles, Ennis, another Limerick venue that has been mentioned, Laois even. It's a complete cock up by the LGFA and your anger at the GAA and men is misdirected.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Shelflife wrote: »
    If the Galway team found out at 10,53 that the game was switched to CP and that the start was changed to 1pm and the journey time is estimated at 50mins from kinnegad, why didn’t they arrive earlier than 12.30 ?

That's the nub of the issue. GAA did them a favour with the offer of Croke Park, five minutes away from the original venue. Featured again on Claire Byrne this morning and heading now for an Oirechteas Committee hearing. Ridiculous stuff.

The game was originally to be in Limerick, and was moved as Limerick County Board (as is their right) decided they wanted to hold a training session for the mens hurling team instead.

I know you can get bogged down in the semantics of it, but the optics of this are awful.

Again, the county board didnt just decide to move the ladies game and hold a training session.

The LGFA had been informed when they asked about availability that if Limerick hurlers progressed, Gaelic Grounds would be unavailable. And still chose not to source another venue even though there was a strong possibility. You can talk about optics and semantics all you want, they're the facts. There is only one organisation to blame here and that is the LGFA, not the GAA, not Limerick, nobody else. The LGFA hierarchy made a mess up of epic proportions.

You should really look at everything clearly and have the full story before moaning about things that didn't happen.

Again, the county board didnt just decide to move the ladies game and hold a training session.

The LGFA had been informed when they asked about availability that if Limerick hurlers progressed, Gaelic Grounds would be unavailable. And still chose not to source another venue even though there was a strong possibility. You can talk about optics and semantics all you want, they're the facts. There is only one organisation to blame here and that is the LGFA, not the GAA, not Limerick, nobody else. The LGFA hierarchy made a mess up of epic proportions.

You should really look at everything clearly and have the full story before moaning about things that didn't happen.

Thats fine if you want to defend it in terms of the bureaucracy.

A 10 year old girl who hears about this on the morning news, is hearing that the womens all ireland semi final is moved because the mens hurling team have a training session.

And thats what happened.

Awful message about the hierarchy and power imbalance in sport. Horrendous. And all the lads on here defending it.

That's a matter for the LGFA. They should have had a plan in place instead of entering a poor agreement and hoping for the best. Could have tried Thurles, Ennis, another Limerick venue that has been mentioned, Laois even. It's a complete cock up by the LGFA and your anger at the GAA and men is misdirected.

Yeah because they are in such a great bargaining position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭blue note

Limerick should have been happy to host an all Ireland semi final in their county ground and trained elsewhere that day. There's no question about that. They're separate organisations, but the LGFA and camogie associations are effectively the ladies section of the GAA. If a boys U20 all ireland semi final was scheduled for the Gaelic Grounds they'd have trained elsewhere and thought nothing of it. They should have done the same for the ladies.

And the LGFA should not have planned to play a match in a ground that they probably wouldn't be able to play it in. If Limerick wouldn't agree to give it to them regardless of their hurlers results, they should have gone elsewhere. The fact that Limerick wouldn't give it to them doesn't change the fact that the LGFA were grossly incompetent to schedule a match on a pitch they probably wouldn't be able to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Yeah because they are in such a great bargaining position.

It’s nothing todo with bargaining power it’s simple planning and logistics. There was a 50:50 chance that Limerick would win, so a backup location should have been in the pipeline ready to be announced in the event of a Limerick win.

It’s not rocket science!

Advertisement