Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ameritrade / ThinkorSwim

Options
  • 06-12-2020 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

I was thinking of opening an Ameritrade, maybe moving from Charles Schwab. I see posts on here and links but when I try and open an account it says not allowed in your country. Has anyone opened an account, recently has something changed with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Tried both before as i wanted to trade options and get pre/after market but you have to be a US citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

From what I can see you should be still able to open an account from Ireland. Where are you breaking down

https://start.tdameritrade.com/open

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chewbacca

I fill in all the details and after selecting submit it says not allowed from your country. Yes the option to open an Individual account has the option to select lots of international countries including Ireland. I also saw a blog post elsewhere where someone had opened one from Korea (in 2019), and various posters on here in last few years saying they had opened accounts. it might be the website falling down but it's a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I fill in all the details and after selecting submit it says not allowed from your country. Yes the option to open an Individual account has the option to select lots of international countries including Ireland. I also saw a blog post elsewhere where someone had opened one from Korea (in 2019), and various posters on here in last few years saying they had opened accounts. it might be the website falling down but it's a bit strange.

Tried it there and got the same message. I'd suggest emailing them. I already have an account for many years but don't remember any issue opening it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

They probably blocked account applications from EU residents when the PRIIPS regulations came into force in 2018, which would likely explain how the Korean resident still managed to open an account last year and Irish residents being able to maintain existing accounts which were opened several years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Chewbacca

Saudades wrote: »
    They probably blocked account applications from EU residents when the PRIIPS regulations came into force in 2018, which would likely explain how the Korean resident still managed to open an account last year and Irish residents being able to maintain existing accounts which were opened several years ago.

Strange, I have a Schwab account (for years) and I see they have merged but I hear Ameritrade TOS is better platform and strange that they list all countries on their application page

Advertisement