Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Alliss RIP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He was outrageously out of date towards the end - it kind of made him more charming for me. :D

But he was probably accurate with the Zach Johnson comment. I don't know for certain, but I reckon Mr. Johnson is the main breadwinner in that household.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

KaneToad wrote: »
    But he was probably accurate with the Zach Johnson comment. I don't know for certain, but I reckon Mr. Johnson is the main breadwinner in that household.

I don't think accuracy comes into in the modern world. It is about political correctness.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Absolute legend and I can honestly say it was a privilege to have been lucky enough to live through his best years when his razor sharp wit and effortless delivery made golf a sport to be watched. I doubt if we will ever see another one like him as the PC brigade would be up in arms.

This clip is Peter having some fun ......

https://twitter.com/i/status/1335563922728955905

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

RIP
    This is going back a fair bit, but I actually saw him play in the RTV International tournament in Edmondstown, August 26, 1967.
    It was a tournament between England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales.
    Peter Alliss was playing singles against Dave Thomas of Wales, a big hitting giant.
    Peter's ball missed the green and was accidentally stopped by a small boy sitting near the green.
    I think the boy was worried that he had done something wrong, but when Alliss arrived he thanked the boy, and with a smile said he needed all the help he can get playing this big brute.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭patob

RIP
    This is going back a fair bit, but I actually saw him play in the RTV International tournament in Edmondstown, August 26, 1967.
    It was a tournament between England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales.
    Peter Alliss was playing singles against Dave Thomas of Wales, a big hitting giant.
    Peter's ball missed the green and was accidentally stopped by a small boy sitting near the green.
    I think the boy was worried that he had done something wrong, but when Alliss arrived he thanked the boy, and with a smile said he needed all the help he can get playing this big brute.
    Nice story. I read that Peter got his break in the commentary world when a BBC exec overheard him eloquently recalling some golfing stories when sitting near him on the on the plane home after a tournament in Ireland. He offered him a job straight away and asked Peter to join the BBC commentary team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement