Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Dingaan

Has anyone used MyBooze recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Moretti 660ml €2.50 tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

I was going to take another punt but noticed the shipping prices had increased. I was looking at 2 x trays of Holstein and a 700ml bottle of Gordons - total with shipping came to €110.

If you take it that you can get Gordon's for €22 on offer fairly regularly, that means 48 cans cost €88 (€1.83 each) ... you can get Heineken 10 cans for €18 ... so the shipping costs wipe out any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah sorry was half asleep,suppose though if you bought a hundred bottles you would save a euro?🤔🤔🤔

Used it a couple of weeks ago but mainly for wine and spirits. Worked out good value. Just make sure you don't go one bottle over into the next shipping weight cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brewed in UK or Italy? The 660 Staropramens are brewed in the UK and are awful.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I was aware the 330 were brewed in UK by Heineken but was sure the 660 were brewed in Italy. Can't even check a label, they're gone to a better place 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 81,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's rather depressing that as well as paying premium prices we are getting more and more UK brewed piss instead of the original source country, we should start campaigns boycotting any brand doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What we should do is taste the beer first and if you don't like it don't buy it again.

Life is too short to drink beer you don't like.

And way too short to be organising boycotts over where beer is brewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But I like the originals, Corona for example is now UK piss as of the last 6 months. It's doing the brands damage, you can see primarily negative reviews on the UK supermarket websites after the change to UK.

My problem is running out of brands I like.

• Advertisement

Sadly, this thread should be closed. Or renamed as something more appropriate, like the Minimum Price Booze thread. Because that's the limit of the best price we can get from now on.

I get what you are saying but it's just a subjective opinion of the beer.

"One man's meat is another man's poison" and all that.

This is not a beer appreciation thread it's a bargains thread which depends on peoples good will to post a deal.

When someone posts a bargain in good faith it's not much help for another poster to call it p**s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I got a lash of those moretti last weekend for the champions league final. I drank 4 only on Friday and woke up feeling rotten, banging headache. Like I used to get off Heineken pints

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its not quite the same bargain if its not quite the same product though. Worth a heads up as to what you're getting but yeah we dont want beer wars...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I agree it's a far cry from the pre MUP heyday but there are still bargains to be had.

For instance Tesco and Dunnes are currently selling Jack Daniels 70 cl for €22.50.

You could easily pay €35 in an off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I prefer the taste of the 330ml Moretti cans to the bottles so usually end up paying more as the cans are rarely discounted. I was wondering if it was all in my head or are they brewed somewhere else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

There should be a much greater outcry from the public! People should contact their TD, speak out on social media etc etc there are many options,

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

Some whiskeys in Tesco down as low as they can go under ******** MUP plus some other discounts on nice bottles:

• 20 Southern Comfort, Powers Old Fashioned
    • 22.50 Jameson, Bushmills Original, Tullamore Dew, Powers Gold, Paddy, Dunphys, Teachers, Bells, Famous Grouse, Jack Daniels
    • 23 Kilbeggan
    • 25 Jameson Caskmates
    • 30 Roe & Co, Slane, Tullamore Dew Caribbean Cask
    • 32 Tullamore Dew 1 litre
    • 33 Chivas Regal 12yo
    • 35 Cardhu 12yo, Johnnie Walker Black, Powers 3 Swallow
    • 36 Woodford Reserve, Bulleit Bourbon
    • 42 Talisker 10yo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Jameson Crested is also down to €25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Its funny in a way regards cans, it was brought in so people cut back, yet the manufactures have 10/15 packs at a price previously of a 24 pack.

I would never have even bought the 24 cans previously, stuck to my 8 now I get the 10 pack cause the 8s have vanished, so buying more than I previously need and paying more. I better not complain actually, them wackos that support MUP, will be out to get multipacks banned point blank.

What a crock of **** this MUP is.

Yet the big bad awful supermarkets the poor old publican gave out about are still cheaper, cry me a **** river.

I also am not even sure I am that angry about MUP, I think I am more infuriated that the government picks and **** choose when to 'interfere' in the 'markets'. Housing crisis, cost of living crisis, 'ye lads shop around, can't do much there', drink prices 'lads your drinking to much, up the prices there no problem and install some swinging gates in the offos for the children'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The moretii 660ml is brewed and imported from Italy. That's 4 bottles for a tenner. Much better value than the cans.

4 x 660ml = 2.64 litres - 10euro Italian Brewed

6 x 330ml = 1.98 litres - 9 euro British Brewed.

The differ between the Italian stuff and Brit stuff is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bottles I take it? The 330 cans are from Italy. The ones I got in sainsburys certainly were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Not a bargain alert...sorry but

"Scotland’s minimum alcohol pricing policy has not encouraged problem drinkers to consume less but has prompted some to cut back on food or heating in order to afford rising costs, according to the first evaluation of its impact on those who drink alcohol at harmful levels"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jun/07/minimum-alcohol-pricing-causes-poorest-cut-back-food-scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Jameson Black barrel will be down to €30 again tomorrow in Tesco. Already on the website for delivery starting tomorrow.

Worth noting that 50p a unit is a lot less than a euro a unit, even though for some stupid reason our units are bigger than the UK's. It works out at roughly 75c per Irish unit...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

anyway...

Moretti 660ml bottles - €2.50 ea in Dunnes and Tesco

Powers Old Fashioned - €19 Supervalu / €20 Tesco (is this nice?)

Powers Three Swallows - €30 Tesco / €33 Supervalu

I got a bottle of Powers Old Fashioned as a gift. Wasn't mad on it as per recommended serving - just over ice.

Note also it is 50cl.

I used it as a cocktail base as per below and it grew on me, was disappointed when the bottle ran out!

• One measure Powers old fashioned
    • One measure Whiskey
    • Two measures Classic coke (nothing diet \ max)
    • One large ice cube

Dunnes:

White Bushmills, Jameson, Paddy, Powers, Tullamore Dew, O'Neill's (?) all €22.10 / 700mL

Black Bush, Jameson Cold Brew / Caskmates IPA / Caskmates Stout / Crested all €25 / 700mL

Paddy, Powers €32 and€32.50 for 1 litre

• Advertisement

Google suggests ONeills is from West Cork distillers. They seem to have hovered up the own brand contrct as I think they do Ardfallen in Aldi and Dundalgan in Lidl. Dunno if the Great Northern still have any of those contracts.

Advertisement