Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is gortatlea the biggest mart in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    A better one, a local farmer rang ccm last April and said I've 12 cull cows out the parlour he was told oh we'd have no customer for them.
    He rang mauty, mauty came out ended up buying 35 cattle between cows, calves yearlings.

That's the man in a nut shell he is up against f all.

But he is also a nice gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

K.G. wrote: »
    Skibbs hinterland is largely a dairy and suckler country with very little pure drystock and fattening farmers based in the area compared to othet areas.you wouldnt have many drystock farmers buying more than 30 a year around.that mossy is a cute old boy.they say you always get a price for your first load down there and after that its not much different .all that said i don t do much in the cattle trade

well he has been good to west cork anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭grange mac

well he has been good to west cork anyway.

Very true. Only for him prices given for cattle would be ridiculous down there. He gave some competition. It only took 2 years for Tom to get out and start visiting farm yards. Now though he has another guy doing it for him and he will tell you himself his phone is busier than Tom's as farmers ringing him now rather that Tom... But I guess Tom's job to manage.... Just pity they can't replicate what Maurice does with min price and buying direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Look I'd be good friends with the man & have sent alot of cattle back there. Lads who've never sold cattle to him, its very reassuring to have him call to your yard go through what you have & talk you through what will probably happen.

On a side note kanturk manager had an interesting quote where he felt with so many no sales people have an unrealistic expectation of what they're cattle are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Whatever about what mart is the biggest, before online bidding was a thing I was only really familiar with Ennis mart.
    The one thing I noticed while watching a few of the fancy springer/ weanling sales is that the drover in the ring is putting themselves at serious risk of injury having to walk across the ring to open the gate to let cattle out of the ring.
    Whereas in Ennis the drover can let cattle in and out of the ring behind the safety of a gate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement