Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE finally calls out compo culture

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's nice to see that personal responsibility has gone completely out the window.

The dude was fcukin twisted, couldn't stand up, and fell against the bus and then under the wheel.

In my eyes, that was his own fault.

By all means, have the State look after him as they would look after anybody in that situation, but don't reward him with €2m on top of the care you are going to give him.

Have you never gotten drunk and walked home from the pub ?

An accident like that could happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

How much of the €2m will the HSE take for operating on him, performing surgeries and ultimately a lot of aftercare when they realise he's never walking again?

Out-patients = NIL, financed by taxes, no charge

In-patient = 80 per night, max 800 per year

Theres a big big gap between "that person has costs and troubles" and "regardless of your own input into your situation everyone else should pay your costs"

Well I don't know the specifics of the case, or the intricate details, but did Dublin Bus not accept a 25%/75% portioning of the blame? Presumably the bus driver wasn't paying attention either, or deliberately drove off to avoid dealing with a drunk (which is understandable, but doesn't remove responsibility).

Geuze wrote: »
    Out-patients = NIL, financed by taxes, no charge

Until an insurance company is involved, as far as I am aware. Then everything gets charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

A Non-National who had 14 previous insurance claims had his case thrown out.

This guy is really taking the piss.

There should be a limit on how many times you can claim off insurance.

I would put that limit at 3 for serious insurance claims over the course of a lifetime.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6279698/couple-car-accidents-court-empty-handed-minor-brush/

But the court heard investigators for Hertz had discovered 14 road traffic accidents linked to the ­Vargas’ address in Tallanstown.
    Bolster quizzed the plaintiff on his accident history and asked him to account for why he hadn’t ­disclosed a string of separate compo claims. He said: “I don’t remember.”
    Among the accidents the serial compo claimant testified that he didn’t remember was the flipping of a car in 2013 and a personal injury claim in 2018.
    As George’s extensive accident and claims history was outlined to the court, he added: “I want to say the truth. I am a pastor in the church. I don’t want to lie.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Have you never gotten drunk and walked home from the pub ?

An accident like that could happen to anyone.

Yes, accidents happen and drunk people do stupid things. But drunk people shouldn't get rewarded with €2m for being a gobsh1te and falling under a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,915 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Other countries with British-based legal systems have managed to stop being a bunch of lazy clowns and have largely done away with compo culture, and hugely reduced the cost burden of insurance on society, by introducing mandated limits and specified payout figures for accident/injury types.

Perhaps in 3021, an Irish government will finally get someone who isn't bone lazy who will update this aspect of the legal system that allows this nonsense to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

cnocbui wrote: »
    Other countries with British-based legal systems have managed to stop being a bunch of lazy clowns and have largely done away with compo culture, and hugely reduced the cost burden of insurance on society, by introducing mandated limits and specified payout figures for accident/injury types.

Perhaps in 3021, an Irish government will finally get someone who isn't bone lazy who will update this aspect of the legal system that allows this nonsense to exist.

We pay out far too much in compensation. PIAB award ridiculous amounts of money. We'd one guy who was out of work for a week and was awarded €17k. For one week. The dude had a bruise. But of course the medical report said he could no longer play international basketball/professional tennis/do some of the stuff in the Karma Sutra yadda yadda yadda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,915 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Check out New Zealand's amazing national accident insurance system, it will make you weep.

Advertisement