Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Equalizer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,182 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

High probability of this being shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll admit that this actually interests me. So I'll check it out for a bit.

I have some memories of the original series and the great theme song. Even watched a couple episodes on Forces TV.

Any time I've seen Queen Latifah, she's seemed very likeable. Whether she can play this character well is another thing. She's always been a more upbeat and cheerful character when I've seen her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ah FFS.

• Advertisement

Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Holy **** that looks terrible. I wasn't expecting much but the trailer is worse than I imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Starts tonight.

Reviews range from average to good.
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-equalizer-2021/season-1

Mr E wrote: »
    Starts tonight.

Reviews range from average to good.
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-equalizer-2021/season-1

Reviews trend be like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

She's simply not believable as a hard-ass. I had added this to my watchlist, but after seeing that trailer, delete...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So they had to change The Equalizer to female just to keep the radfem brigade in Hollywood happy.

Maybe Wonder Woman will be male in a future series just to even things up.

I watched it and I won't be watching it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

So they had to change The Equalizer to female just to keep the radfem brigade in Hollywood happy.

Maybe Wonder Woman will be male in a future series just to even things up.
    A black woman, for double money.

I’ll stick to Eddie Woodward on Forces TV thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'll give it a few more episodes (I lack a Monday show to watch) but bland and boring were definitely words coming to my mind if I was to describe that initial episode; it's been done before and better in for example Person of Interest.
    The gender makes no difference to the series esp. if the script is weak and this script was weak. You could replace her with a man and you'd still end up with a bland episode; the gender makes no difference.

It is totally the wrong casting gender has nothing to do with it.

Person of Interest mentioned there I could 100% have bought Taraji P. Henson or Sarah Shahi as McCall however there is no way I can buy Queen Latifah as CIA agent you can do what Reese did in Person of Interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'll admit that this actually interests me. So I'll check it out for a bit.

I have some memories of the original series and the great theme song. Even watched a couple episodes on Forces TV.

Any time I've seen Queen Latifah, she's seemed very likeable. Whether she can play this character well is another thing. She's always been a more upbeat and cheerful character when I've seen her.
    Remember the original well, had a great theme tune and opening sequence.

Coming next fall to CBS "Taken the tv series" starring Rosie O'Donnell.
    If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of handbags, handbags I have acquired over a very long career, fancy handbags that make me a nightmare for people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not great - must have hired Liam Neeson's action director, 60 camera angles in 60 seconds - totally unbelievable an overweight woman could take on multiple grown men

But it's not as bad as Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Remember the original well, had a great theme tune and opening sequence.

no one will beat Edward Woodward,

the menacing stare, the intensity of his voice

• Advertisement

Will give it a couple more, but yeah she's not exactly believable in the role.

Maybe it was a product of it's time but you can even tell from the original's opening credits that it was a lot more gritty. The whole idea is the threats are pretty street level and the episodes added to that. This new one felt too clean or something.
    Person of Interest is a great comparison of how to do a show like this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

A fan of Edward Woodward as 'The Equalizer', teenager in 80's when it aired here.

edwoodward.jpg

And from what I remember it was more down and gritty with detective work.
    The modern version, with the modern tech takes away from the grit of the original.

Denzel Washington movies where okay.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

glasso wrote: »
    Coming next fall to CBS "Taken the tv series" starring Rosie O'Donnell.

by the power of jump cuts she will be able to climb a stairs

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    by the power of jump cuts she will be able to climb a stairs

I actually laughed out loud

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

As expected it's very poor .Its comically bad in places .

yabadabado wrote: »
    As expected it's very poor .Its comically bad in places .

had a quick look.

obviously her fight-scene movement was not as "fluid" as they had hoped

after the extensive editing of same it's hard to make out what is going on in them such is the amount of cuts

It's shows like this that really make you miss great shows like Person of Interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's shows like this that really make you miss great shows like Person of Interest

That is pretty much what it was. They are even copying how Carter investigated Reese.

And like the movies, this not The Equalizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Denny61

It's absolutely dire ..not believable...utter dross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Might have been better off putting the funds towards a third Denzel film.

Advertisement