Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting rented apartment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thanks guys for the responses.

I wouldn't feel confident painting it myself ... Out of interest, roughly how much would it cost to paint a two-bed apartment (including ceilings), assuming the landlord provides paint etc? Ballpark figure!

Probably €350 to €500 per room these days, depending on the size of the room and how many coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭ted1

brisan wrote: »
    The landlord is legally responsible
    Every 3-4 years depending on the condition of the property would be normal
    Some landlords don’t like the expense and try and hold off until there is a change of tenant

Sorry that’s rubbish. 3-4 years would not be the norm

Thanks guys for the responses.

I wouldn't feel confident painting it myself ... Out of interest, roughly how much would it cost to paint a two-bed apartment (including ceilings), assuming the landlord provides paint etc? Ballpark figure!

Depends on your definition.
    Do you want paint out on walls?
    Or do you want the walls prepared 90% of work and then painted 10%?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If I was a landlord Id probably agree to let someone paint themselves if they agreed to return it to its original colour scheme at the end of their tenancy. Assuming they were good painters of course. not much good letting a tenant paint if you only have to pay professionals to paint it properly again if they did a bad job.

How would you recoup the cost of cleaning / replacing floor covered in paint? Or wall paint marks on the ceiling?
    Or having to try and paint over a dark colour of paint ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

ted1 wrote: »
    How would you recoup the cost of cleaning / replacing floor covered in paint? Or wall paint marks on the ceiling?
    Or having to try and paint over a dark colour of paint ?

I guess thats what a deposit would be for.
    But I hear ya.
    I certainly wouldnt be paying for paint ecery 5 years, and I certainlky wouldnt be painting in anything but neutral colours if I was paying for the painting.

In Germany, or in the USA you have to pay to have the place painted professionally the way it was when you moved in.
    Should be the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The environmental inspector checks compliance with the Housing standards regulations. They are very picky.

The paint being a bit faded and tired looking will not prompt a direction to re-paint. For it to be a non-compliance would require the paint to be in a very poor state peeling off the wall or mouldy. The cosmetic element of paint does not have any gounding on the regulations.

If you get the council in to inspect the house without any genuine reason then all that will do is piss off the landlord for bringing that hassle to their door.

I have experience in this field, so trust me.

And another thing, if I was a landlord I wouldn't be letting a tenant repaint the house themselves unless they are a professional decorator. Because what I would be left with is a house with a botched DIY paint job, runs and streaks in the paint, overpainting of window frames, switches and architraves, big drips on skirtings and carpets, roller splotches on the ceiling all of which are an additional cost to rectify once the tenant fecks off probably with arrears.

I would allow the tenant to re-paint on the condition that the work was done by a professional painter-decorator. Unless the paint was genuinely in a poor state it would all have to be at the tenant's own cost. I would not be paying for a re-paint just because the tenant gets a mad notion that they would prefer Delicate Seashell rather than Natural Wicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I saw once where a tenant painted all the varnished wood in the house including the front door black, every wall dark purple. All done badly.

Mind you I've once seen a Landlord (and sons) paint everything a house white. Just went over everything with roller, no prep of any surface. Painted over everything photos, keys, anything on a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

JimmyVik wrote: »
    In Germany, or in the USA you have to pay to have the place painted professionally the way it was when you moved in.
    Should be the same here.

I'd take that deal for German rents!can't compare Ireland to other countries moved into a few places with really bad paint jobs.

Advertisement