Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Bloom trails

Options
  • 30-11-2020 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

I believe these are two separate trails - one at Kinnitty and one at Baunreagh - is that right?
    Are they joined together in any way - ie want to ride both on the same spin ideally

Any pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

boomdocker wrote: »
    I believe these are two separate trails - one at Kinnitty and one at Baunreagh - is that right?
    Are they joined together in any way - ie want to ride both on the same spin ideally

Any pointers?

They aren't officially joined together and are a fair distance from one another so it would be a long enough day. Personally I wouldn't be bothered with the Laois side the Kinnity side is much better since they extended it. Below is trail head to trail head but park at Kinnity castle and head out on the blue loop into the red loop. Alternatively they're a short enough drive if you want to do both sides with a transition between :D

50666357411_dd163819c4_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Thanks
    What's the total distance covering the blue loop and red loop at Kinnity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Thanks

Last time I was there in September it was around 22km. Not sure if there are any more sections open since then. Lovely loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Thanks

Did both back in January, twas about 45km using the Wolfpack road climb between the two, but there is alot more on both sides now (Laois side is quite good now), so I would say both sides would be about 55+km (1500+m)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Few great new trails in Baunreagh side that aren't sign posted. Rough guide on where to go

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1GjtRTsnhhjyP5f6Y8H1JCqjrdp_1Odqk&usp=sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

wellboss wrote: »
    Few great new trails in Baunreagh side that aren't sign posted. Rough guide on where to go

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1GjtRTsnhhjyP5f6Y8H1JCqjrdp_1Odqk&usp=sharing

Does anyone have updated maps of unofficial trails around Slieve Bloom? Or even any advice on how to find them? I'm heading down next week probably to have a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Did you try strava segments? Trailforks doesn't seem to show many.

Wailin wrote: »
    Did you try strava segments? Trailforks doesn't seem to show many.

No. Although I'm on Strava, I'm not sure how to check/search-for segments. I'll try to do a bit of research on it. Thanks.

Fatbhoy did you manage to do the loops after all? I plan on heading down tomorrow and thinking of sticking with the Baunreagh trails. About 30k I think to do the whole loop. Are the kinnity trails a lot better? Its a bit longer of a drive but if they are that much better I might go with that side.

Fatbhoy did you manage to do the loops after all? I plan on heading down tomorrow and thinking of sticking with the Baunreagh trails. About 30k I think to do the whole loop. Are the kinnity trails a lot better? Its a bit longer of a drive but if they are that much better I might go with that side.

No, not yet. Last Friday was supposed to be the day but we rain-checked it. Supposed to be going this Friday if it's dry.

I'll probably just stick to the sanctioned trails, although if we've time the plan is to head over to Stradbally to find some decent non-sanctioned stuff. I'm pretty sure the sanctioned SB trails will be uninspiring.

• Advertisement

fatbhoy wrote: »
    No, not yet. Last Friday was supposed to be the day but we rain-checked it. Supposed to be going this Friday if it's dry.

I'll probably just stick to the sanctioned trails, although if we've time the plan is to head over to Stradbally to find some decent non-sanctioned stuff. I'm pretty sure the sanctioned SB trails will be uninspiring.

I haven't been over to the Laois side in a while but the Offaly side has actually
    come on a good bit. There's some nice flowy trails now where you can get up a bit of speed also some trails which may be open now with some doubles and decent berms. You won't be long finding trails in stradbally but if it's a weekend there may be a lot of footfall but generally no hassle although you do cross foot trails a fair bit so watch for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

fatbhoy wrote: »

They are not bad flowey and fast go hard at them and are fun. Nicely designed. Trails in stradbally lotta walkers and heavy clay so really are dry weather trails

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

I'd doubt theres 30k on the Baunreagh side yet, I'd say max 15k. Rode Kinnitty and some of Baunreagh last week, I'd say Kinnitty side has the edge at the moment.

I did the Kinnitty red loop last weekend. 21km open, but there's an extra section which the locals reckon will be open in the next week or two. Great fun at pace, and beautiful scenery.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I did the Kinnitty red loop last weekend..

Any features on the red loop at all? I did the Baunreagh loop today. Beautiful area but the trails are typical coilte and fairly dull. Nice long descent it has to be said if you link the upper trails. To be expected I suppose but when they do spice it up they can be great (expressway, skyline, afterburner etc).

They’re generally flowy, but plenty of doubles and small table tops if you want to get some air. I really like them, but I’m not a DH lunatic!
    Any features on the red loop at all? I did the Baunreagh loop today. Beautiful area but the trails are typical coilte and fairly dull. Nice long descent it has to be said if you link the upper trails. To be expected I suppose but when they do spice it up they can be great (expressway, skyline, afterburner etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭prunudo

They’re generally flowy, but plenty of doubles and small table tops if you want to get some air. I really like them, but I’m not a DH lunatic!

That seems to style of trails Coillte are building, the faster you ride them, they continue to reward. Expressway, metro and afterburner all seem to follow that pattern of features.

Anyone know what kind of distance is now open on the Laois/Baunreagh side? For a project that was supposed to be boosting tourism, it's incredibly difficult to get any info on these trails!

Anyone know what kind of distance is now open on the Laois/Baunreagh side? For a project that was supposed to be boosting tourism, it's incredibly difficult to get any info on these trails!

About 23k according to my strava. Thats doing the lower loop first then heading up the road to do the 7k descent from top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Was up there today and met walkers twice on the trails.
    Am relatively new to MTB so not sure what's the etiquette. I was going at an easy pace with my daughter so were no close calls or anything but still, the normal guy or gal experienced that might be flat out and come around a corner to them.
    What do ya do in this situation? One of the parties was not far from a 'strictly no walkers' sign.

• Advertisement

Was up there today and met walkers twice on the trails.
    Am relatively new to MTB so not sure what's the etiquette. I was going at an easy pace with my daughter so were no close calls or anything but still, the normal guy or gal experienced that might be flat out and come around a corner to them.
    What do ya do in this situation? One of the parties was not far from a 'strictly no walkers' sign.

Make it clear it crystal clear to them they're on a mtb trail. I met a hen party on the red trail once almost cleaned the lot of them out of it, feckin eejits just giggled away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Make it clear it crystal clear to them they're on a mtb trail. I met a hen party on the red trail once almost cleaned the lot of them out of it, feckin eejits just giggled away.

Just to add, we've been up there a few times and this was the first time I met anyone on them.

Just to add, we've been up there a few times and this was the first time I met anyone on them.

I've been up a good few times and the hem party was the closest I came to crashing but not the first time I've met people on the trails. It's been at least three times up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Both the Laois and Offaly website maps have (at last) been updated below. On the Laois side, the climb to the top can be done on the 'Stairway to Heaven' section rather than the public road, although I did meet someone coming down this section. The high 'Thunder' section is beautiful but is a little soft at the sides in places.

https://www.coillte.ie/site/slieve-bloom-mtb-trails-offaly/

I'm generally good at following maps but that looks messy to work your way around.

Edit: and the Coillte mobile site is shite.

Any updates from down in the Sleive Blooms. Are there still construction teams working on extra trails or is it a case of what was opened the end of last year being it for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I haven't been up there in a while. What are people's opinions of Space Jam? I find it a little unnecessarily rocky, I have nothing against rocky trails if they are done with a bit of imagination but it just seems to be random piles of rocks littered along the trail to keep speeds down.

Having said that, I have seen videos of riders like Scott Coyne absolutely shredding on it so it's probably down to my own abilities but I still think it's a little excessive.

I haven't been but hope to head down there soon, but from the videos I've seen on YouTube it does look like rock gardens are used excessively.

I know its on the other side but jailbreak looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I liked Space Jam when I was there in February. It's nice and long and the most challenging red trail. Jailbreak was my favourite. I think both trails will become more difficult as they get eroded. If you don't like rocks, there's plenty of flowier trails there.

Advertisement