Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date a bisexual woman?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This thread reminds me of the 1990s film Chasing Amy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Outside of one girl in the last 12-14 years they've all been bisexual. It's no big deal if they are or not

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Only if I could date her bisexual partner at the same time.

This man speaks the truth

Being bisexual is stigmatized moreso among men than women. I wonder what you'd think of dating one.

There's a belief that bisexual people are more likely to cheat which is false.

I dated one. She cheated.

*Shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

This a brilliant thread about male insecurity - incels much?

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

on the assumption that you want the odds to be always in your favour......

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/women-who-stray/201904/why-are-mental-health-issues-greater-among-bisexual-people
    New research published in the Australian Journal of General Practice reviews results of the “Who I Am” survey of 2,651 Australians who identified as bisexual. The study examined their bisexual identity, their current relationship characteristics, their feelings about their bisexuality, and their mental health. The study replicated many historical findings—and demonstrated staggering levels of emotional struggles. A majority of the sample, 58%, reported either high or very high levels of psychological distress, with histories of anxiety, depression, and eating disorders the most common reported diagnoses. And 67% reported they had been diagnosed with mental illness by professionals. Almost half of the respondents disclosed self-harm or thoughts about suicide within just the last two years. More than one in four (28%) had attempted suicide in their lives and 78% had thought about it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I would have to read the full study because in isolation all those statistics are worse than meaningless. They can in fact be quite misleading.

The problem is that such statistics standing on their own tell us nothing about the topic they are related to. In this case Bisexuality.

Rather than tell us anything they actually raise questions. Is bisexuality causing something like depression or suicidal feelings or struggles? Or - are things that cause stuff like depression (such as hormonal imbalances) also causing bisexuality? Or is it neither but in fact bisexuality and depression are co-existent symptoms of some other factor or factors?

Or is it none of that but rather their bisexuality is perfectly ok but the false assumptions - hostile narratives - and claims that bisexuals are more likely to cheat and so on actually causing their distress? For example there is also a line in the article saying "male bisexuals frequently report experiencing greater stigma for their bisexuality". So rather than their bisexuality being a source of their mental health issues - is it societies response to their sexuality that is in fact the issue?

The only two interesting things in the link for me are that A) Surprisingly bisexual peer support groups were not beneficial to those suffering where I would have expected the opposite myself and B) A predictor of mental health issues stronger than just being bisexual was being in a relationship with someone who was judgemental or phobic of that bisexuality. Two good things to know for any mental health professional who is working with bisexuals.

Advertisement