Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gameweek 10 Match Day thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Your right, UTD got all the penalties last season as well.

And Liverpool got their fair share of VAR decisions in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Has to be given.
    Hendo (someone) should have been in the refs ear re. a handball in the build-up!!!
    Robbo Mane and Jota return 12pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No Foden :( Knew it was a risk but still bah

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I’m back to wondering is Robertson really worth 7.2 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Clear and obvious error.

Which it was not. In slow motion you can see the penalty etc. but VAR should have never gotten involved as its not clear and obvious.

If it was clear and obvious ref (who had perfect view) wouldve given it straight away. Whats the point of having ref there on d pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Going Días over Cancelo pays off, this week at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Lundstram wrote: »
    Good times.

You knew the risks

Lemlin wrote: »

I don't think so at the moment. Awful lot of 2 pointers recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Clear and obvious error.

Which it was not. In slow motion you can see the penalty etc. but VAR should have never gotten involved as its not clear and obvious.

If it was clear and obvious ref (who had perfect view) wouldve given it straight away. Whats the point of having ref there on d pitch?

'you can see the penalty' so what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Another day he gets a cleanie and 2 assists, just unlucky, he is winning 2-0 in the snooker though, some man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Just seen it. Penalty for me, he catches him and mistimes it totally.

Reminds me of when I used to play, a challenge like that you hear the crack of the boots and everyone be roaring for a penalty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Clear and obvious error.

What' does clear and obvious mean?

Was Salah's offside, clear and obvious? Was Bamford's offside clear and offside two weeks ago?

VAR didn't give the penalty - the ref looked at the monitor and saw that he missed it first time round and gave it - he might have thought that Robbo got it first time.

The ref didn't have to award the penalty after watching the monitor, which seems to be getting lost.

munster87 wrote: »
    'you can see the penalty' so what's the problem?

The problem with that is that VAR referees the game now.

Not the referee.

You need to look at it in the game context. What was robertson doing? trying to clear the ball.

We are getting to that stage where 5 - 10 mins a game are dedicated to VAR reviews.... dont tell me there is no problem with that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

The problem with that is that VAR referees the game now.

Not the referee.

You need to look at it in the game context. What was robertson doing? trying to clear the ball.

We are getting to that stage where 5 - 10 mins a game are dedicated to VAR reviews.... dont tell me there is no problem with that lol.

Hold on, so because he was trying to clear the ball, it isn't a foul? Ah stop :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Question you have to ask, would that have been given as a foul if it happened outside the box? For me, no it would not.

Welbeck cuts across him as he was attempting to clear so you could also argue Robertson was fouled.

Think we can all agree VAR is a load of sh1te.

Who would havecassisted Salah's goal had it stood? Was it Bobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

And Liverpool got their fair share of VAR decisions in their favour.

This season, not a chance.

siblers wrote: »
    Who would havecassisted Salah's goal had it stood? Was it Bobby?

Yeah it was Firmino.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    This season, not a chance.

I was on about last season.

With the make shift defence I don't think so, you could get a 5.5m defender, and use the 1.7m elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Hold on, so because he was trying to clear the ball, it isn't a foul? Ah stop :O

Well he definitely didnt look to take Welbeck out.

That is why its not clear and obvious. That is why Ref didnt give anything until being told to go look at the screen.

In game context - that is not a penalty. And, now you have to be fair, did many Brighton players complain? no. In fact only Danny was there, who did after the game said "soft penalty".... which was actually very funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I was on about last season.

Liverpool were +2 from VAR last season. Is that excessive?

Well he definitely didnt look to take Welbeck out.

That is why its not clear and obvious. That is why Ref didnt give anything until being told to go look at the screen.

In game context - that is not a penalty. And, now you have to be fair, did many Brighton players complain? no. In fact only Danny was there, who did after the game said "soft penalty".... which was actually very funny :D

Why did you put the dots in there, why not finish the sentence, when he said that it's still a penalty albeit soft?

But the ref didn't have to give the penalty - why do you seem to think that he 100% had to when he sees the monitor - is it because, when he sees the monitor he then realises that it's a foul and hence a penalty? Robbo swung his leg wildly, misses the ball and kicks Welbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

9 pointer for Jota :D Justifies my -4 already

• Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lundstram wrote: »
    Question you have to ask, would that have been given as a foul if it happened outside the box? For me, no it would not.

Welbeck cuts across him as he was attempting to clear so you could also argue Robertson was fouled.

Think we can all agree VAR is a load of sh1te.
    I mean, part of the problem is that the fans and the media were weekly begging the ref on the pitch to start going over to the monitors to do the reviews.

Did people really not believe that this was the kind of sh*t that was gonna result from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

At least Salah keeps his clean sheet point . . . . it's the small things in life 😬

gammygils wrote: »
    9 pointer for Jota :D Justifies my -4 already

Brought him in too for a hit. Eases the Robbo pain a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So taking a wild kick, and missing the ball, and catching the opponent, in your eyes is not a foul? It's a foul plain and simple.

Did you think the Ben White challenge on Jota where he won the ball was a foul? the one where Robbo would have got an assist in Mane was onside? Didn't notice many Robbo owners complaining ?

Listening to crouch on BT, 10yrs ago the game just continued on.

Looking at it from the camera angle behind robbo there is contact ...as to if it’s enough contact to warrant a penalty, I do think so, but do I think VAR should have intervened, no....maybe players today are too soft or maybe the rules of the game have changed so much that players dictate the decisions.

When was the last time a player was booked for “simulation” ? I’m not in any way suggesting that happened in this game, just speaking in general .

Taking each of your questions, even the wording of the initial question shows a bias .... a wild kick ? It was an attempt to clear the ball, do you describe ALL kicks that do not connect with the ball as a wild kick? Just because another player gets to the ball a fraction of a second earlier doesn’t make it a wild kick.

The Ben white - jota ... I didn’t see.

The mane offside, camera angle clearly showed it was an offside.

I am a Liverpool fan, I’m annoyed by the decision, do I think it’s worth debating to and fro about the multitude of other things that VAR didn’t intervene with, no, it’s pointless debating it because we cannot effect the decision.

Personally I think VAR has its place, but some of the decisions made are completely destroying the game as I knew it, it was a physical contact sport, that’s all gone now.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Liverpool were +2 from VAR last season. Is that excessive?

I would argue it was a bit more than that. However, let’s move on from this VAR discussion now. The penalty was awarded and nothing we can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mahrez time for a hat trick baby

Advertisement