Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcadia group collapse.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've never seen the attraction if grafton street or why it can justify the high rents.
    It's mostly phone shops, the odd diddly-do irish tat for the tourists and overpriced unattractive coffee shops.

The biggest shop is brown thomas and that's not saying much.

I've no problem with british shops. We need the variety and choice they bring and the employment.

It's no surprise that Greene's business is in trouble.its been that way for a long time.

Topshop and the likes can't compete with the online stores that do selling so we'll.

Primark will survive because they sell cheap and cheerful which their customers want.
    But the arcadia group stores aren't really appealing to the age they want to appeal to.
    That age group prefer online if they gave money and Penney's if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

One does feel sorry for the end of line employees, but the fashion industry in general is a joke. The people who make the clothes are the ones who tell you what clothes to wear each month. And people buy into it. If they can't afford the designer stuff, they get the child/cheap labor made knock offs from these other stores and wear it maybe once (or do the completely scummy thing and wear it once with the label still on and return it for a refund then...).

We need to get rid of fashion full stop. It serve absolutely no purpose other than to make people feel better than others because they can afford x item. Same as most consumer tat, but I give tech an ok on this because expensive tech is, nearly all the time, better than the cheaper versions (except for Apple stuff, which is designed for sheeple).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

One does feel sorry for the end of line employees, but the fashion industry in general is a joke. The people who make the clothes are the ones who tell you what clothes to wear each month. And people buy into it. If they can't afford the designer stuff, they get the child/cheap labor made knock offs from these other stores and wear it maybe once (or do the completely scummy thing and wear it once with the label still on and return it for a refund then...).

We need to get rid of fashion full stop. It serve absolutely no purpose other than to make people feel better than others because they can afford x item. Same as most consumer tat, but I give tech an ok on this because expensive tech is, nearly all the time, better than the cheaper versions (except for Apple stuff, which is designed for sheeple).

Trade will just go online instead. Only difference- no store employees to pay ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I feel sorry for the many employees in this.

However, Philip Greene is a slug. A despicable, exploitative bag of slime with widely reported narcissistic failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Even some of the designer stuff is sweatshop made. High end clothes are not an indicator of decent wages for labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,433 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It'll be sold off to pay the redundancies for the staff who have lost their jobs... I'm sure...

That boat cost 3 times what he was looking for to save Arcadia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Even some of the designer stuff is sweatshop made. High end clothes are not an indicator of decent wages for labour.

Or quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That boat cost 3 times what he was looking for to save Arcadia

It's interesting that it is registered in Malta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It's interesting that it is registered in Malta.

What is "interesting" about that?

EU country, huge history of sailing, unblemished reputation, every support service possible available, large number of harbours suitable to mooring.

Main advantage is a 5.4% vat rate on Super Yacht purchases, but aside from that it is the favoured place due to the expertise there - juts like Ireland is the favoured place for aircraft leasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the many employees in this.

However, Philip Greene is a slug. A despicable, exploitative bag of slime with widely reported narcissistic failings.

As hes transferred out more money than he can ever spend in this lifetime, he wont be the one suffering though, the employees will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I can see eco-clothing getting very big very fast.
    Higher quality clothes that aren't as damaging to the environment to produce.
    They should also have a sort of fairtrade system for clothing to make sure workers abroad are getting decent wage and good conditions.
    I think most people would be willing to pay a bit extra for that.

I can see eco-clothing getting very big very fast.
    Higher quality clothes that aren't as damaging to the environment to produce.
    They should also have a sort of fairtrade system for clothing to make sure workers abroad are getting decent wage and good conditions.
    I think most people would be willing to pay a bit extra for that.

That would be great, but the queues outside Penny's at stupid o clock this morning would indicate different.

anewme wrote: »
    That would be great, but the queues outside Penny's at stupid o clock thos morning would indicate different.
    If the young ones got into it I reckon it could take off.
    The cheapo clothes are a false economy anyway, after about a year they have either shrunk or lost their shape, the crappy stiching has come undone or they get that bobbling on them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Just caught a quick thing about it in the news one of the things, the company took money out of the employee's pension fund how does that happen surely the pension fund is the property of the employees, not the company.

Some of the brands will reform and open again shopping as a leisure activity is a very popular activity.

The Trafford Centre in Manchester has pubs, it's weird the pub level ( all chain pubs) are kept at a twilight level and are all themed it's a bit like something you would see in Las Vegas. It's a dreadful place but I don't get shopping as a leisure activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

That would be great, but the queues outside Penny's at stupid o clock thos morning would indicate different.

What else do they have to spend the childers allowance on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Debenhams in UK also now closing

• Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If the young ones got into it I reckon it could take off.
    The cheapo clothes are a false economy anyway, after about a year they have either shrunk or lost their shape, the crappy stiching has come undone or they get that bobbling on them :mad:

Yes, however people don’t want to wear the same thing over and over again. They want cheap and disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Sleaford Mods. Poets and prophets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Washout wrote: »
    Debenhams in UK also now closing

Am i the only one who fails to give a shít about these things? Companies close, companies open, life goes on. Who really gives a rats arse? If you've lost your job in top shop, you need to go look for another one somewhere else, simple as. It's a pain in the hole, especially at this time of year, but hey ho.

Grafton street won't lie empty for long, people seem to have an insatiable thirst for over priced crap they don't really need. Someone will fill those empty units with some other god awfull pile of shíte and people will line up to buy that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Am i the only one who fails to give a shít about these things? Companies close, companies open, life goes on. Who really gives a rats arse? If you've lost your job in top shop, you need to go look for another one somewhere else, simple as. It's a pain in the hole, especially at this time of year, but hey ho.

Grafton street won't lie empty for long, people seem to have an insatiable thirst for over priced crap they don't really need. Someone will fill those empty units with some other god awfull pile of shíte and people will line up to buy that instead.

Yes, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the really important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to all involved.

• Advertisement

Sleaford Mods. Poets and prophets.

The Xmas no 1 hopefully :)

You are hopefully in the minority not giving a ****. Most people have empathy and respect for others. Especially those who remembered what the 2008 recession did to people. there are many still recovering.

The Debenhams workers are still fighting for their rights.

These are shop workers, not people on huge money.

Not sure why you think Arcadia group is exclusively in Grafton Street either?

But hey ho, I hope it keeps fine for you.

Yes, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the really important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to all involved.

You seem to have lost sight of something, what the hell are you talking about?

We're talking about clothes shops closing, not famine or genocide or something that actually makes a blind bit of difference in the scheme of things.

Some clothes shops might close down, boo fúcking hoo. It's shítty for the people involved, no one wants to see people loosing their jobs, especially at this time of year, but it happens sometimes, they'll bounce on i'm sure.

You seem to have lost sight of something, what the hell are you talking about?

We're talking about clothes shops closing, not famine or genocide or something that actually makes a blind bit of difference in the scheme of things.

Some clothes shops might close down, boo fúcking hoo. It's shítty for the people involved, no one wants to see people loosing their jobs, especially at this time of year, but it happens sometimes, they'll bounce on i'm sure.

Everyone's job is not famine or genocide or something that makes a blind bit of difference in the scheme of things. That does not mean that their jobs dont matter. We all have bills to pay.

In the 2008 recession, many small trades people lost their jobs and income. Did their financial hardship not make a blind bit of difference because they fitted doors or windows or something?

You are hopefully in the minority not giving a ****. Most people have empathy and respect for others. Especially those who remembered what the 2008 recession did to people. there are many still recovering.

I meant i couldn't give a shít about the shops themselves, not the people who work in them.

Not sure why you think Arcadia group is exclusively in Grafton Street either?

But hey ho, I hope it keeps fine for you.

I don't, someone mentioned Grafton street i was just using it as an example.

Fashion, by it's very nature is fickle. Shops come, shops go - it was always that way, will always be that way. How is anyone surprised by this.

Clothes shops are not great whales, they don't have some divine right to exist. There's no real need to mourn their extinction.

spook_cook wrote: »
    The timing is rotten. It's crap to lose your job but worse so in the leadup to Christmas.

The Irish staff have been told they are going to try and trade through and find a buyer for some, if not all of the Group.

Not all Brands are aimed at the same market, so someone might be interested in taking some of them.

Staff have been paid November and told December is safe.

As good as it gets at the moment.

I meant i couldn't give a shít about the shops themselves, not the people who work in them.

I don't, someone mentioned Grafton street i was just using it as an example.

Fashion, by it's very nature is fickle. Shops come, shops go - it was always that way, will always be that way. How is anyone surprised by this.

Clothes shops are not great whales, they don't have some divine right to exist. There's no real need to mourn their extinction.

You could say the same about any product. Nothing has the divine right to exist.

Especially smugness and superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I guess any hope of Irish Debenhams staff getting redundancy is now gone.

Everyone's job is not famine or genocide or something that makes a blind bit of difference in the scheme of things. That does not mean that their jobs dont matter. We all have bills to pay.

In the 2008 recession, many small trades people lost their jobs and income. Did their financial hardship not make a blind bit of difference because they fitted doors or windows or something?

Look maybe I've worded this poorly or something - i'm not in any way discounting the people involved, it's terrible for them and their families especially at this time of year.

I'm talking about the companies, not their employees. It makes no difference in the scheme of things if there's a top shop or not, if there's a debenhams or not, there will be some other shop selling some other shíte, that's my point.

• Advertisement

You could say the same about any product. Nothing has the divine right to exist.

Especially smugness and superiority.

I can assure you i'm neither smug, nor superior - if you're taking me up that way, you are taking me up wrongly. I've attempted to clarify what i meant, i can do no more than that.

Advertisement