Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we bring back House Wife of the year?

Options
  • 27-11-2020 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5V7jNXgzk

Good wholesome fun for all the family and a day out for the wives.

Should we bring back House Wife of the year 73 votes

Absolutely - they deserve it
    71% 52 votes
    No - its just another distraction from chores
    28% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5V7jNXgzk

Good wholesome fun for all the family and a day out for the wives.

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Burn with Calor Gas....?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”
    L.P. Hartley - The Go-Between

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes and the public should nominate women.
    Everybody should nominate Louise O’ Neil and Roisin Ingle so we could see them have a cook/Hoover off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

In these WOKE days it couldn't be called that, house husbands would have to be included too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Seamai wrote: »
    In these WOKE days it couldn't be called that, house husbands would have to be included too.

Home managers/runners/directors. Who can bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

We’ve moved on from those days, as a society. But how about Calor Full-time Mammy (who graduated from the School of Hard Knocks) of the year?

See who can go to the local lidl in a dressing gown the quickest.

Who can nuke a ready meal in timely fashion for Jayden and Hayden.

Maybe a bonus questions round on what happened this week on Judge Rinder.

Probably something similar on Channel 4 already though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

KungPao wrote: »
    Probably something similar on Channel 4 already though.

Except no clothes allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Contest should include high tech products like RFID to ensure kitchen proximity is adhered to at optimal times. (e.g 7am - 7pm)

A separate “beauty” section could be added to see which housewife can exude the most elegance whilst wearing an 8 foot metal chain connected to the cooking appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

And so they should.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Home managers/runners/directors. Who can bake.

I don't mind if you call it housewife of the year, I am definitely the wife in my marriage.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Except no clothes allowed.

Oooh, nudey house husbands hoovering. I'd watch that, I wont lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Despite what the media would like us to believe there are still plenty of women who aspire to be housewives and mothers. The only difference now is there's a choice for those who don't want that life.

A modern version of Homemaker of The Year could work in theory with both genders allowed to enter.

I think it would get the militant feminists foaming at the mouth, and despite the veneer of equality, I think any male contestants would get mocked from some quarters.

Competitive cooking and baking programmes are popular, but the idea of other household chores being involved changes the dynamic.

It would take a very brave production company to resurrect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Should be brought back, if only to piss off the blue hair/nose ring ensemble brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Pleeeeze bring back “house wife of the year”
    The outrage from the Louise o neill types would be the greatest entertainment imaginable.
    Gas lighting heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A housewife of colour would have to win.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Gas lighting heaven

And now a word from our sponsors..

Omackeral wrote: »

One with a wife and not a husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omackeral wrote: »

Can’t believe I missed a housewife of calor gag here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O dear God Noooooooooooooooooo!, we've quite enough S**** on Irish TV already

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Oooh, nudey house husbands hoovering. I'd watch that, I wont lie.

Dangly bits on show, in close proximity to a hoover nozzle? Sure it would only be a matter of minutes before they would be abusing the appliance in an ungodly manner :eek:

(It would make for a good spin-off, 999 Emergency/Embarassing Bodies kinda thing though)

maudgonner wrote: »
    Dangly bits on show, in close proximity to a hoover nozzle? Sure it would only be a matter of minutes before they would be abusing the appliance in an ungodly manner :eek:
    It's precisely for the nozzle work I'd tune in. How well do they get that nozzle into the nooks, crannies and tight corners? Do they get right in there and give it it a good going over? Compelling viewing.

Had a discussion about this in work once and the younger employees couldn't believe it was a thing.

The prize was a new cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Despite what the media would like us to believe there are still plenty of women who aspire to be housewives and mothers. The only difference now is there's a choice for those who don't want that life.

A modern version of Homemaker of The Year could work in theory with both genders allowed to enter.

I think it would get the militant feminists foaming at the mouth, and despite the veneer of equality, I think any male contestants would get mocked from some quarters.

Competitive cooking and baking programmes are popular, but the idea of other household chores being involved changes the dynamic.

It would take a very brave production company to resurrect this.

Suppose it depends how you market it. You have shows like Bake Off and Sewing Bee showcasing traditional skills but in a non patronising way. They do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Going back maybe 40 years I personally knew a 'housewife of the year'. Nice person, friend of mine though we lost touch, could talk the talk...but housewife she was not. God knows what the criteria were but taking a quick look at their house obviously was not part of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

eviltwin wrote: »
    Suppose it depends how you market it. You have shows like Bake Off and Sewing Bee showcasing traditional skills but in a non patronising way. They do well.

RTE though ...

Divorcees or "loose women" need not apply.

Had a discussion about this in work once and the younger employees couldn't believe it was a thing.

The prize was a new cooker.

Oh the glamour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

People scoff and insist we've moved on...but forget about The Rose of Tralee...

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    People scoff and insist we've moved on...but forget about The Rose of Tralee...

"Reaching out" to the diaspora and crowbarring in something something empowering women.

Lol.

Advertisement