Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling bloated and sleepy after smoothie

Options
  • 26-11-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some input/advice for a problem I've been having

I've recently started cycling into work 5 days a week, and going for longer cycles on my days off. It's a sport I enjoy and although I don't need to lose weight I do need to get fit after years of smoking

I've started drinking smoothies for breakfast every morning but they make me very tired/sleepy. In the smoothie I put 2 cups of frozen mixed berries, 1 banana, 2 weteabix, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (no added sugar) 2 tablespoons of full fat yogurt, a shake of chia seeds and top it up to a liter with full fat milk.

Does anyone see a problem with the ingredients that would cause me to become bloated and sleepy? Before I started exercising I would normally skip breakfast so I think I'm being healthy but don't feel that way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I was feeling alot like that back in the spring and started avoiding or reducing some foods on the high fodmap list and it has helped.

https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

I had issues with dairy (Gastro) Try by swapping out the dairy for an alternative, Just to see if it helps (oat or rice milk)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some input/advice for a problem I've been having

I've recently started cycling into work 5 days a week, and going for longer cycles on my days off. It's a sport I enjoy and although I don't need to lose weight I do need to get fit after years of smoking

I've started drinking smoothies for breakfast every morning but they make me very tired/sleepy. In the smoothie I put 2 cups of frozen mixed berries, 1 banana, 2 weteabix, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (no added sugar) 2 tablespoons of full fat yogurt, a shake of chia seeds and top it up to a liter with full fat milk.

Does anyone see a problem with the ingredients that would cause me to become bloated and sleepy? Before I started exercising I would normally skip breakfast so I think I'm being healthy but don't feel that way

It seems like a huge portion. Would you cut it in half and see how you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

This is a huge amount in one smoothie! 2 weetabix with a bit of fruit and a small bit of milk on its own would do most people for breakfast. Your smoothie sounds like 3 meals and a snack all in one.
    Being healthy doesnt mean stuffing your body with as many healthy ingredients as possible, your body cant process all that fiber at one time.

Also, something to be aware of, smoothies are healthy and filling but theyre not a substitute for eating. When you blend berries, fruits and veg it kills much of the nutrients in the food. When drinking a smoothie Your body doesnt absorb the nutrients the same way it does when you physically eat them.

If you want to bring a smoothie with you to work, id suggest making something simple like a handful of berries with some spinach, a handful of oats and top it up with some not from concentrate orange juice or almond/oat milk. There is no need to overload it and keep some moderation.
    A portion size is a handful, 2 cup fulls of berries is more than your body needs and it will just flush it out.

Id suggest making a small breakfast in the morning such as 2 weetabix with a handful of fruit on top and a small bit of milk.
    Or whole-wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana on top with some green tea.
    Most whole wheat and healthy cereals are fortified with added vitamins, throw in a handful of fruit and have it with a glass of orange juice. Honestly you'll feel so much better if you take the time to sit down and eat a small healthy breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

A nice healthy meal but a lot of sugar there spiking your insulin which will make you crash then. I usually avoid bananas because they make me crash. Fruit and all but a lot of sugar.

Advertisement