Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AP Post Interview

Options
  • 26-11-2020 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    An API post has been advertised where I work. I have my application filled out and am awaiting interview. I'm probably a bit lacking in experience compared to the other candidates, but want to give it my best go anyway. I was just wondering if anyone who has been through the process before could offer any insight or advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Hi Everyone,
    An API post has been advertised where I work. I have my application filled out and am awaiting interview. I'm probably a bit lacking in experience compared to the other candidates, but want to give it my best go anyway. I was just wondering if anyone who has been through the process before could offer any insight or advice?

LAOS is the your guide. Learn all the jargon used, and then relate it to an anecdote from your past.

My way to answer would always be:
    Your philosophy, then a brief anecdote to back it up, then link it to your competency.

Eg how do you lead teaching and learning? Well I believe teaching and learning is xyz, for example I led a literacy team that did Abc. Therefore I demonstrated that I am 123 by carrying out such such duties.

Have an answer on how you manage conflict and emotional situations.

Have an answer on how you bring ethos into classroom and other activities.

Have a set of 10 competencies/adjectives to describe yourself and a story for each one.

That's my way to do it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

Look at the LAOS document and the 4 domains on the form and look at the standards of highly effective... work your examples around those statements of highly effective practice and that’ll tell you where you need to put each example. It’s all about “leading, inspiring, motivating, encouraging, facilitating, empowering, communicating, reflecting, involving, considering, forward planning, being attuned to your own strengths and weaknesses, discerning the strengths in others, unlocking leadership potential it all, recognising the student voice as a key stakeholder...

Did you set up any initiative in school or have you been involved in any working group or team? What did you bring to that? Did you learn anything about yourself in that - type of person you are?

Do you work with a PME student? That’s a nice element for teaching and learning. Effective assessment for learning strategies / students as active agents in their learning - willing to risk mistakes as they know the valuable lesson from them... goal setting / inclusive and engaging environments catered to the diverse needs / reflective nature allows for this ...

Managing the Org: BOM rep? / exam aide? Class tutor?

Leading school development: sse / ict / LWR role / sporting team or school led initiative? Well-being (will be big focus if year head etc and there is a new national well-being programme that schools will be incorporating into their SSE plans from next year)

Developing leadership capacity - being involved and being willing / empowering others to take on roles / student leadership (student council / shoe box appeal etc) / being reflective and knowing when something isn’t working but to see why it isn’t working and to refocus etc ...

They love asking about dealing with conflict in the interview... someone not on board etc ... how do you manage these staff members without detailing the process - all about change management and conflict resolution etc.

Think about where your examples best fit with LAOS because that’s where the questions will be coming from... they will read a statement from it and create a scenario / question / probe that you will be answering - some based on your form and others not!

How you engage your learners / the different elements and strategies related to assessment / self-directed and guided learning / critical independent thinkers (learning for life and instilling a love for learning) / safeguarding the wellbeing of all students and catering your strategies in both T&L and Assessment - have the strategies that you use - assessing each student at their own individual level of ability and capability while motivating and challenging them to progress their engagement with the topic on hand - encourage a willingness to make mistakes because the learning involved in this is overcoming the mistake and the lesson that can be achieved here.

How do you know the students are learning is another question that has been asked before / How can you tell if a strategy is working out / have you shared your initiatives with your colleagues etc - staff collaboration / peer-learning / reflective practice / SSE initiatives ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Looks like I've a bit of study to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Every single bit of the LAOS (Leadership and our Schools ) claptrap has been bought or stolen verbatim by 'The Department' from THIS website

https://www.teachertoolkit.co.uk/

The same type of goons who debate the difference between 'leading development' and 'developing leadership'(and lets not forget this 'framework' is now used to appoint/choose everything from AP2s to principals ) would have been arguing over how many angels could dance on the head of a pin 500 years ago .

It seems any ole english 'expert' can come in and drive policy here because anything we irish were doing must be wrong ."Land of Saints and Scholars" indeed ,we seem hell bent on following the UK system, Lemming style .Leaving Cycle in T minus 3...2...

• Advertisement

2011abc wrote: »
    Every single bit of the LAOS (Leadership and our Schools ) claptrap has been bought or stolen verbatim by 'The Department' from THIS website

https://www.teachertoolkit.co.uk/

The same type of goons who debate the difference between 'leading development' and 'developing leadership'(and lets not forget this 'framework' is now used to appoint/choose everything from AP2s to principals ) would have been arguing over how many angels could dance on the head of a pin 500 years ago .

It seems any ole english 'expert' can come in and drive policy here because anything we irish were doing must be wrong ."Land of Saints and Scholars" indeed ,we seem hell bent on following the UK system, Lemming style .Leaving Cycle in T minus 3...2...

Laos stands for looking at our schools.

Just to update. I was unsuccessful at interview. Disappointed obviously, but I'll look for my feedback and try improve for next time. Some of the questions were odd and not what I expected from a competency based interview.

Unlucky, you'll get em next time. But yeah some can be phrased tricky, you just have to kinda twig which domain (and set of buzzwords!) they want you to load up!

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Unlucky, you'll get em next time. But yeah some can be phrased tricky, you just have to kinda twig which domain (and set of buzzwords!) they want you to load up!

Thanks a million. On reflection I'd say it wad the lack of buzzwords that killed me. I found it hard to keep remembering to sprinkle them in to my examples.

Fair play for going for it and I'm sure you'll be successful next time now that you know what that set up is like? Would you mind sharing some of the questions you were asked? Always intrigued to see what people are asked in interviews

• Advertisement

Questions that I can remember that i was asked(phrasing not exact but general gist of question is there,):

Talk about a time you led an initiative at school

Talk about a time you managed staff

How have you helped the management team in your school

How do you bring reluctant staff members on board with your ideas

In what way have you led an initiative that has benefitted the whole school

What one thing have you learned in your career thus far that you would share with other staff

Name 3 things you think should be a priority for schools over the next two years

Last two I felt unprepared for they didn't strike me as the typical competency based type question but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Questions that I can remember that i was asked(phrasing not exact but general gist of question is there,):

What one thing have you learned in your career thus far that you would share with other staff

Name 3 things you think should be a priority for schools over the next two years

Last two I felt unprepared for they didn't strike me as the typical competency based type question but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Yeah that 3 things question is the have you read your school's most recent MLL report or subject inspection. Tricky if you're not ready alright. Likewise, answer on saying remote learning strategies would only get you so far.

One thing with staff, yeah tricky, I'd go on about the importance of robust communicative structures, I'm so great because I do this etc.

Difficult to improve the school when it's your boss interviewing you!

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Yeah that 3 things question is the have you read your school's most recent MLL report or subject inspection. Tricky if you're not ready alright. Likewise, answer on saying remote learning strategies would only get you so far.

One thing with staff, yeah tricky, I'd go on about the importance of robust communicative structures, I'm so great because I do this etc.

Difficult to improve the school when it's your boss interviewing you!

Oh maybe i didn't do so badly on 3 things to focus on one, i cited 3 things from our last inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭amacca

Isnt it such utter bull**** really when you think about it?

They might as well add this overly long slightly poorly worded question too

Are you the right kind of yes person that will blindly follow any nonsense initiative some twit trying to justify their existence in the dept dreams up or a school manager looking for advancement themselves comes up with....all the while making the conditions your colleagues work in that bit more irritating and ultimately remove a little bit more time/autonomy/authority from the classroom teacher but say it was fabulous anyway?

Etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

amacca wrote: »
    Isnt it such utter bull**** really when you think about it?

They might as well add this overly long slightly poorly worded question too

Are you the right kind of yes person that will blindly follow any nonsense initiative some twit trying to justify their existence in the dept dreams up or a school manager looking for advancement themselves comes up with....all the while making the conditions your colleagues work in that bit more irritating and ultimately remove a little bit more time/autonomy/authority from the classroom teacher but say it was fabulous anyway?

Etc etc

This is so very true of the way things are at the moment.

If you are a member of a Golden Circle it does not matter what answer you give to an interview question.Somethings will never change.So many good people are leaving the profession.The Unions are no help either.See my post re: half day the Tuesday of the holidays and you will see how "helpful" the Unions are to the frontline teacher

God I find the above so depressing to read. There is such little opportunity for progression in our profession anyway, to think it's a pointless exercise applying or that if you do, you have to sell your soul is bleak.

LW2018 wrote: »
    Fair play for going for it and I'm sure you'll be successful next time
    SMacRuairi also made a similar comment .Its becoming increasingly the trend that you WONT 'get it the next time '.Certainly after a few attempts youre most likely wasting your time .You would not have to be too cynical to think these interviews are predetermined or at least they know who WONT get it beforehand.At their most liberal it will be between two 'favourites' but Id bet good money in at least 50% of cases the principals choice 'has it' before a word is said .In fact the anointed one would have to do an epically bad interview to not get the nod .If one of the other two/four on interview panel goes rogue and 'votes for' someone else you can be sure they wont be invited back for another 175 euro approx (?) payola .

I can understand the frustration, and to some degree, there are principals who go their own way, particularly I see in ETBs, but honestly, like with most interviews, sometimes there are people who are better.

I've won some interviews, lost some, and yeah on one occasion felt like it was clearly an inside job, but the majority of colleagues I've seen hired etc are there on merit and experience. Just keep plugging away.

For those saying that the principal doesn't want "straight shooters", I mean sometimes no, you have someone who can't work as part of a team and you don't want people doing random unexpected things at diff times. You want your 6th year head to act in the same processes as your TY year head, not totally different ways of doing things. You can't have one person thinking that they'll deal with u bullying through talks all the time and the other looking to just suspend everyone,that really comes through in interviews sometimes.

I know it's an unpopular opinion and I wish everyone the best of luck in theirs, but sometimes working on your answers and your own world is better than just looking to tear down the person who got the job... But hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

For sure there are issues now with the process around middle management appointments, namely that the Principal will put in their people, usually inexperienced teachers who will do his /her bidding without question. But IMO a much bigger problem is the recruitment of Principals / Deputy’s, again very inexperienced people seem to be getting these positions, often not able for the job but knowing that if they play the game for a few years they can move on to a bigger school.

Icsics wrote: »
    For sure there are issues now with the process around middle management appointments, namely that the Principal will put in their people, usually inexperienced teachers who will do his /her bidding without question. But IMO a much bigger problem is the recruitment of Principals / Deputy’s, again very inexperienced people seem to be getting these positions, often not able for the job but knowing that if they play the game for a few years they can move on to a bigger school.

Amen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭doc_17

The three things question is probably a bit of a test to see if you are keeping yourself up to date with educational reforms. Reflect on your weak answers and involve yourself in stuff that will strengthen that area next time.

Remember it’s a competency “based” interview but that doesn’t mean it’s entirely based on those types of questions. Get your feedback anyway.

I didn’t catch if you had a postgrad in school leadership or masters? That will certainly help. I’m not quite as cynical as others on this point because of hard work isn’t rewarded then principals with their head screwed will realise schools will fall to pieces if hard work isn’t being rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Icsics wrote: »

Can you explain this a bit more please?

I don't have a postgraduate in school leadership but I have a certificate. Do I need more considering I have no interest in being a principal? I appreciate everyone's feedback and opinions. I'll stay working away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Getting feedback is vital. One area seriously let me down in my first competency based interview, on reflection I would say fairly. I focused on that area and really worked on improving my engagement and knowledge of it in the school and I was successful in the next interview. I'd be a very hard worker but the person who beat me the first time would have more experience and have been stronger in that particular area so fair enough.

I also read circulars as they come out and stay very much on top of what direction the department are moving in (not that I always agree, but you also can't disagree effectively with what you don't understand). Talking to other staff in my school after another round of promotions the fact you need to be fairly strong in all four areas seems to have escaped some people so definitely get your scores!

Getting feedback is vital. One area seriously let me down in my first competency based interview, on reflection I would say fairly. I focused on that area and really worked on improving my engagement and knowledge of it in the school and I was successful in the next interview. I'd be a very hard worker but the person who beat me the first time would have more experience and have been stronger in that particular area so fair enough.

I also read circulars as they come out and stay very much on top of what direction the department are moving in (not that I always agree, but you also can't disagree effectively with what you don't understand). Talking to other staff in my school after another round of promotions the fact you need to be fairly strong in all four areas seems to have escaped some people so definitely get your scores!

Thanks a million. I will do. On feedback, can you ask questions at it or do they just meet you and give you a "spiel" rather than allow you to ask questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

What sort of initiatives are people setting up in their schools? I’m involved in lots of things, but they are mostly set up by management, so I would have nothing to say there.

What sort of initiatives are people setting up in their schools? I’m involved in lots of things, but they are mostly set up by management, so I would have nothing to say there.

These aren't my ideas just ones I know people who were successful in posts at my school did before they became postholders:

Tech tutorials for staff run by someone tech savy on staff, one day a month they do a "drop in clinic" at lunch time

School yearbook

School newsletter

Mentoring programme for 1st year students

Staff and student trad music club

Leading sse initiatives

Running school show

Introducing new subjects to school

Setting up school library

Running "meet the teacher" night for first year parents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

What area would you have found yourself struggling in?

kala85 wrote: »
    What area would you have found yourself struggling in?

The 3rd domain, Leading school development! It was one I definitely needed to work on, getting the feedback helped and definitely thinking about the reasons the successful candidate did so much better in that area helped me improve for the next round.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million. I will do. On feedback, can you ask questions at it or do they just meet you and give you a "spiel" rather than allow you to ask questions?

I'd recommend getting your actual numbers. It's out of 100, 25 for each domain. You get your scores and the successful candidates scores, helps to really see where exactly you lost marks and the written notes from the interviewers can give insight too. The principal will generally go through it with you if you want, I didn't opt for this. The numbers made it clear to me what I needed to work on!!

Advertisement