Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And so say Walrus us (Arghus's Walrus)

• 24-11-2020 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭

Let's get the show on the road...

What is Walrus?
    Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) & the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why Am I Doing This?

Aside from actually listening to music, the next best thing is discussing it, getting into heated arguments about it. I love people being passionate and articulate about what they love. I love hearing new music and hearing from people why they love it.

I also want a small part of the universe where my taste will be the final arbitrator in all things.

What Kind of Music Am I Into?

I like a wide enough spectrum of things to be honest. I cut my teeth on metal and alternative stuff, but I can listen to a lot and there's nothing really that I won't give a chance. I like to discover stuff that sounds fresh and unique, no matter what genre.

The Categories:

[1]As Heavy as a really heavy thing:

Give me your dirtiest, foulest, stinkiest heaviest tune. I guarantee you I can take it. It can be absolute impenetrable noise, my ears can take anything.

[2]A Winter's Tale:

Give me a tune that is unmistakably Winter. This is not a category of Christmas songs. I want songs that make you think of frozen ponds, dark evenings, crisp air and a layer of snow.

[3]A Song You Loved When You Were Fifteen:

We were all, of course, at our peak of discerning taste at that particular age. I want your - honest - selection of a song that you thought was pure class when you were that age.

[4]A Song that mentions a medical condition:

Pretty self explanatory really!

[5]A Song that contains an abrupt shift:

I'm a fan of songs that take you by surprise. You think you are listening to one thing and then - bang - it abruptly turns on its head. I'm looking for songs that either contain a part that bears no relation to what exists around it in the song or one that morphs into something else along the way.

[6]A song that you have to listen to closely:

I love picking out little details in songs, or hearing tiny subtleties in something I've listened to a million times before. I want to hear a song that you think benefits if you listen real close for maximum impact.

[7]A song you like to think sums you up:

Leave reality out of it for this one. Be all you can be.

[8]A Song that makes you think of falling in love for the first time:

We've all got 'em.

[9]A Song Your Mother Loves:

Mammies know best

[10]A Song that sums up boards.ie:

You can get really deep on this one.

Right I'll leave it up for a while, I don't really know how long. I know there are other Walrusesses going on at the moment, so I'll try to stay out of people's way if possible.

Ten categories is a lot, but, fck it, if you're going to do it: do it hard. I'll give every song a good thorough listen and if you're one of those that likes to explain your selections, well that's fantastic and I look forward to reading them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

love the categories!!!! will try to get something in this weekend

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In - gone with a themed entry for the laugh :D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah Necro right out of the gate there. I thought ten choices, some of which are kind of abstract, would slow him down, but the man is a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Ah some very interesting categories!1
    I love that first category. It gives me the opportunity to go back to a time I was listening to noise industrial.

Hmmm.....this will require a lot of thinking.
    I shall get an entry in.

Maybe not today,
    maybe not tomorrow.

But some day.....

.....before the dealine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Cool name and interesting, suitable categories for me Arghus; I'll whip up an entry. Check out my music acts picture peehs, I think you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    In - gone with a themed entry for the laugh :D
    I'll be very disappointed if you didn't enter this for round 4...

534132.png

Oooh I'll enter Arghus :)

Oooh I'll enter Arghus :)

Ooh Matron!

Arghus wrote: »
    Ooh Matron!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Songs submitted...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Pretty much can't listen to Metal and some of the songs you've put in the alternative music forum in the past I have struggled to listen to as well. This will go terribly so of course I'll enter.

And selections sent!!
    Thank you for organising Arghus. You gave me the chance to include a couple of songs that it would be difficult to fit in most of other Walruses. :)

Irish Aris wrote: »
    And selections sent!!
    Thank you for organising Arghus. You gave me the chance to include a couple of songs that it would be difficult to fit in most of other Walruses. :)

No problemo!

ShaneU wrote: »
    Pretty much can't listen to Metal and some of the songs you've put in the alternative music forum in the past I have struggled to listen to as well. This will go terribly so of course I'll enter.

Go for it.

There's only one category that's genuinely looking for the heavy shtuff, the rest is totally open and I'll listen to anything really.

Sent my entries in earlier.

I actually found #7 (song that sums you up/you'd like to think sums you up) the most difficult to come up with anything for - my submission was a bit ridiculous for that one. :o Hopefully the rest won't go down too badly though.

I actually found #7 (song that sums you up/you'd like to think sums you up) the most difficult to come up with anything for - my submission was a bit ridiculous for that one. :o Hopefully the rest won't go down too badly though.

lol, I had a song picked for that one before I even finsihed reading the category description, but I pretty much hate myself, and there's loads of songs about people being inwardly negative, so I was spoiled for choice with that one... :pac:

For me the difficult one proved to be the Winter tale. But I'm very happy with what I selected in the end.
    And the easier one was the last one about boards.

lol, I had a song picked for that one before I even finsihed reading the category description, but I pretty much hate myself, and there's loads of songs about people being inwardly negative, so I was spoiled for choice with that one... :pac:

I tried to avoid being negative....otherwise I'd have come up with something a lot easier, probably! :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

5 and 6 proved challenging for me... thematically speaking anyways :D

• Advertisement

I tried to avoid being negative....otherwise I'd have come up with something a lot easier, probably! :pac:

Sure I'm always negative, but in an upbeat sort of way. Happily Nihilistic is probably how the people who know me best would describe me. ;)

I think the "song you like to think sums you up" song can be a place to let your ego really blossom.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,828 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Part 1 in with Part II incoming soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is the 15 year old question just a subtle way of finding out how old we all are :D

Rikand wrote: »
    Is the 15 year old question just a subtle way of finding out how old we all are :D

All of the categories have been carefully chosen to function, as a whole, as an unnervingly accurate personality test.

It'll reveal more than your age, I assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,336 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

And I'm in

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I have an entry 1/2 done, should be in by the weekend.

Part one is a challenge I'm happy to try and rise to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,336 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I was going to go for Linkin Park with Crawling but when I read the requirements I kinda figured it ruled this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Can the medical condition be a mental disorder? A quick google tells me mental disorders aren't technically considered medical conditions.

• Advertisement

Reberetta wrote: »
    Can the medical condition be a mental disorder? A quick google tells me mental disorders aren't technically considered medical conditions.

Ah yeah, they'll do

Advertisement