Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milking Parlour addons

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Ok the truth of cluster flush. Lads who tell you it's great have spent thousands on it, and it's hard to admit the truth then. I was one of those people. So the reasons: 1.It wont cure SCC. If you have a SCC problem, you have high SCC cows, flushing cluster after milking wont solve that. So you must solve that problem and then sort out the issues that are causing it. I threw my cluster flush out last year and SCC was lower this year. Not because I threw it out but because I sold the high SCC cows. The lads with the lowest scc I'm my group, below 50k, don't have any cluster flush, how are they doing it!
    2. You will be broke buying drums of acid for it, no wonder milking machine salesmen push it, it's a continuous income stream for them. I got so fed up drawing drums to it that half the time there was only water doing the flush.
    3. Cluster will have to hang from upper side so every time you swing across you will have to turn cluster around to attach to next cow. No better way to cause wrist problems if your milking alot of cows.
    4. It slows milking for obvious reasons.
    So to summarise: looks like a great idea, I got sucked in too, but please consider carefully before putting it in. Solve the cause of the problem, because this wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Getting cluster flush fitted with parlour extension here c 450€ inc vat per unit

If your getting cluster flush there is a crowd in England that do one that dips the cows before taking off the cluster and then flushing the cluster. Adf milking is the crowd that do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I’ve heard good reports about it too tbf but I’d be looking deeper if there’s an scc problem or mastitis issues cluster flush won’t solve it best way to solve an scc problem is to cull it out easy do it if milk recording obviously check earthing on parlour and good hygiene practices

On the parlour etc a hear detection and health monitoring system on my wish list

Didn't say it would solve the problem but it will be an aid to help us get it right
    We lost the majority of our herd to scc and mastitis not so long ago and with the new dry cow tube regulations I'm not willing to take the risk on that affecting our herd again seeing as our herd has a poor history with it

We'll have enough units now so we shouldn't be waiting on units outside of peak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭cjpm

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Ok the truth of cluster flush. Lads who tell you it's great have spent thousands on it, and it's hard to admit the truth then. I was one of those people. So the reasons: 1.It wont cure SCC. If you have a SCC problem, you have high SCC cows, flushing cluster after milking wont solve that. So you must solve that problem and then sort out the issues that are causing it. I threw my cluster flush out last year and SCC was lower this year. Not because I threw it out but because I sold the high SCC cows. The lads with the lowest scc I'm my group, below 50k, don't have any cluster flush, how are they doing it!
    2. You will be broke buying drums of acid for it, no wonder milking machine salesmen push it, it's a continuous income stream for them. I got so fed up drawing drums to it that half the time there was only water doing the flush.
    3. Cluster will have to hang from upper side so every time you swing across you will have to turn cluster around to attach to next cow. No better way to cause wrist problems if your milking alot of cows.
    So to summarise: looks like a great idea, I got sucked in too, but please consider carefully before putting it in. Solve the cause of the problem, because this wont.

Fair play for such a detailed reply. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

How much a year did you spend on acid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

How much a year did you spend on acid?

I don't know tbh but I just know I used to have a stack of empty 25L drums outside the Dairy door!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I don't know tbh but I just know I used to have a stack of empty 25L drums outside the Dairy door!

Why didn't you use 200l barrels
    Cheaper and wouldn't be used as often

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Didn't say it would solve the problem but it will be an aid to help us get it right
    We lost the majority of our herd to scc and mastitis not so long ago and with the new dry cow tube regulations I'm not willing to take the risk on that affecting our herd again seeing as our herd has a poor history with it

We'll have enough units now so we shouldn't be waiting on units outside of peak

Wouldn’t be concerned about dry cow tubes they’ll still be got

blackdog1 wrote: »
    If your getting cluster flush there is a crowd in England that do one that dips the cows before taking off the cluster and then flushing the cluster. Adf milking is the crowd that do it.

I’ve a Gea parlour and they have a cluster that milks ,teat dips before taking off cluster and then flushes once off ,called appolo system costs circa 1300 per unit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You clearly missed my post Mr Bass;)

Oops missed the last line of that post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Grueller

I’ve a Gea parlour and they have a cluster that milks ,teat dips before taking off cluster and then flushes once off ,called appolo system costs circa 1300 per unit

Ouch. I got a whole parlour,teat spray unit, plate cooler, sump pump, mangers, stall work supplied and fitted for €2100 a unit. That's some price for that system.

Grueller wrote: »
    Ouch. I got a whole parlour,teat spray unit, plate cooler, sump pump, mangers, stall work supplied and fitted for €2100 a unit. That's some price for that system.

Tbf it’s a serious piece of kit lots of units sold all around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Another crowd had that system but if I’m not mistaken wasn’t there high levels of teat dip showing up in the milk??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

blackdog1 wrote: »

Just seen ur post now... that’s the crowd I was referring to...

Another crowd had that system but if I’m not mistaken wasn’t there high levels of teat dip showing up in the milk??

Gea had all those problems in development but all ironed out now and loads of happy customers ,I know there’s at least one farm up north with it

Advertisement