Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEWALT DCF787N-XJ 18V LI-ION XR BRUSHLESS CORDLESS IMPACT DRIVER BARE UNIT

Options
  • 23-11-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Great deal if you already have the batteries from another XR tool,
    Screwfix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

53% off

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcf787n-xj-18v-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-impact-driver-bare/437gt

Cordless impact driver with brushless motor providing improved run time and durability by having less wearing parts and creating less heat, without wasting energy. Aluminium front housing provides greater heat dispersion, increasing motor life. Drop-in keyless hex driver allows for quick, one-handed bit fitting. LED work light provides illumination of workpiece.

Max. Torque: 170Nm
    6.35mm Hex Tool Holder
    Variable Speed
    Fan-Cooled Motor
    All-Metal Gearing
    Electronic Brake
    Soft-Grip Handle
    LED Work Light
    Does Not Include Battery or Charger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Threads Merged

The price is €54.95 for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

This driver is probably only suitable for diy use.

The 887n is the trade/professional model, can sometimes be gotten for 80/90 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭listermint

timple23 wrote: »

The 887n is the trade/professional model, can sometimes be gotten for 80/90 euro

This is an XR18V brush less unit. Savage little machine and can stick any flex volt battery it it. Nothing really DIY only about it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its still a brushless model and I had the old model that had brushes for the old 18V ni-cad batteries and its still going strong. Wouldn't have bought this one but at that price :D

Thanks OP's

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 derekc1010

The son picked one of theese today ,
    Hes a sparks and recons it will be perfect for him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Lads would I be right in assuming the battery from https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcd778m2t-sfgb-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/979hf

Would fit this one in the OP?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Lads would I be right in assuming the battery from https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcd778m2t-sfgb-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/979hf

Would fit this one in the OP?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What do ye use these for compared to a normal drill

kevthegaff wrote: »

mainly tex screws, driving lots of screws, can use an adapter and put impact sockets on them to tighten bolts/nuts. can get drill bits to fit these too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭amacca

Has higher max torque than my drill + its impact....will drive in stuff a drill may have difficulty with

eg: I used this or a model like it yesterday to drive long tek screws for attaching steel cladding to timber (which the drill could do but not as fast or well) and drive tek screws attaching cladding to metal on gates which screwdriver would really struggle with or be unable to do

ive used them to drive stuff into brickwork etc,

you could probably get your screwdriver to do some of it but with other tasks youd be abusing the crewdriver and probably shortening its life. I find them a brilliant little tool...as many uses for them now as the screwdriver tbh

+ if you already have the batteries, thats not a bad price for one at all imo.......

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re really good at driving screws into wood, once it hits a bit of resistance, a rotary hammer inside the driver wallops the shaft and gives it a sharp turn - this means first that the bit doesn’t slip on the screw, and you get loads of torque. itlll do this several times a second.
    the driver doesn’t bog down, and you can loosen or tighten stuff you wouldn’t be able to with a drill. I find it very good with flat wood drill bits. You can get drill bits with the hex attachment on them.
    It’s also smaller than a drill so better for getting in tight spaces,

Obviously swapping bits over is way quicker as well as it has a quick release.

Downside is there isn’t a clutch setting like on a cordless drill. So countersinking screws etc isn’t as accurate.

It has no relation to the clutch on a cordless drill (which disengages power when it hits resistance) its quite the opposite.
    You wouldn’t replace a drill with one, but they’re a great addition to a drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭irishguy19772

How much would a battery charger be?.. pointless buying without having them?

yep tis a good deal if you already have batteries + charger

charger around 25 to 30 if youre buying on its own afaik......theres a new faster charger for the 18/54 v flexvolt batteries which probably more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes pointless because how would you charge it or run a battery.

You need a battery and charger.

Note there are swatches of chargers new. Available on adverts.ie because people get chargers in multipacks when they already have a charger so they sell them on. Half the price or more of a new shop bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same principle. Kinda a direct replacement for an air impact gun. For heavier jobs than the other one.

much more powerful......its around 170 - 200Nm torque for impact driver (screws, tek screws etc)......up to and above 2000Nm (depending on model etc) for impact wrench, so for opening wheel nuts etc......similar principal involved but you would generally get yourself a set of impact sockets with those and have fun opening seized nuts and bolts that would have taken a blowtorch, a breaker bar, increasing lengths of pipe for more leverage, a half a day and lots of cursing to open in the past

The below is the daddy of cordless impact wrenches at the moment but the one you linked is quite good, I have it myself. removed rear wheel of an old tractor with it myself a couple of weeks ago......

https://toolfix.ie/product/milwaukee-m18onefhiwf1-802x-18-volt-high-torque-1-impact-wrench/

Im very tempted by the above though tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRegy5s4Mc

amacca wrote: »

Shop around, much cheaper in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Also has the thing for adjusting the max torque, great for when you don't want to destroy a screw head which it can easily do. Great tool.

• Advertisement

Shop around, much cheaper in UK

Oh I know......just the easiest link for the eye candy, spotted the bare unit last year just below 500 excluding delivery........think it was that powertoolmate store on ebay UK you linked.

thing is I dont have enough work for it to justify getting it really.....its just the thought of encountering a nut that needs that level of brute force and of being without one and doing it the old way sends shivers up me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Is that one actually 5 times more powerful or am i misinterpreting the Nm

One is 170Nm and the other is 900Nm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Is that one actually 5 times more powerful or am i misinterpreting the Nm

One is 170Nm and the other is 900Nm

One is a driver, and one is a wrench. The latter is a beast. Heavy duty work, typically on cars. Basically for nuts! Have it here, from a deal on Screwfix way back. Fabulous tool for wheel changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

dodzy wrote: »
    One is a driver, and one is a wrench. The latter is a beast. Heavy duty work, typically on cars. Basically for nuts! Have it here, from a deal on Screwfix way back. Fabulous tool for wheel changes.

I'm a sparkie would be using it for heavy duty fixing at most

Presume the cheaper one will suffice?

I'm a sparkie would be using it for heavy duty fixing at most

Presume the cheaper one will suffice?

I'd say so

I wonder could a moderator change the title to include equivalent MAKITA DTD156Z 18V Impact driver https://www.screwfix.ie/c/tools/impact-drivers-wrenches/cat830838?modelno=dcf787n_xj|dtd156z which is also on offer for the same price.

Don't think its worth a new thread?

Also DeWalt 4Amp 18V XR Batteries are a good price, on offer at €54.95 Inc VAT but click and collect only https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcb182-xj-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-xr-battery/61372

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭irishguy19772

Great deal but if I factor buying battery and charger separately I am nearly at the 180 the complete set are on sale for. Pity

Great deal but if I factor buying battery and charger separately I am nearly at the 180 the complete set are on sale for. Pity

Charger second hand but probably never used €25 example https://www.adverts.ie/power-tools/dewalt-battery-charger-dcb115/22030648

Battery €55 see above

So €135 and you miss out on a case and second battery.

However its mainly a good deal if you have batteries already.

• Advertisement

Just got notification of this being sent out looks like its coming from the UK with ParcelForce.

Advertisement