Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No evidence that asymptomatic positive cases are infectious. MOD NOTE post 55

Options
  • 21-11-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭

Results of the Chinese study where they Tested 10 million people, it appears to show asymptomatic people are not a threat like previous smaller studies.
    "There were no positive tests amongst 1,174 close contacts of asymptomatic cases"
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19802-w

This would really bring into question why healthy people should be subject to restrictions or mandates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

so you think no restrictions at all would work? given everything we've seen over the last 8 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

froog wrote: »
    so you think no restrictions at all would work? given everything we've seen over the last 8 months?

Restrictions on symptomatic people only, yes I think it should be looked at.
    There is no mask mandate in Wuhan, night clubs are open, healthy people are allowed get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

According to CDC asymptomatic and presymptomatic account for majority of transmissions
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/20/health/cdc-coronavirus-spread-asymptomatic-website-wellness/index.html

People are spreading the virus when they have no idea they are infected.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"China are big giant liars"

"until they release the data I like"

This doesn't make a lick of scientific sense.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    According to CDC asymptomatic and presymptomatic account for majority of transmissions
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/20/health/cdc-coronavirus-spread-asymptomatic-website-wellness/index.html

That's a complete contradiction to the study of 10 million people in China.
    One of them is incorrect, it's worth remembering one isn't trying to bring in lockdowns or force people to wear masks. We've seen enough times how science evolves to suit a narrative.

Have we any data here to say how many asymptomatic people go on to spread and make the people they infect symptomatic? I doubt they'd tell us even if they did know.

This doesn't make a lick of scientific sense.

Isn't that the point though, we think we know the science, we already know this was floating around in September last year yet professor Nolan's charting refuses to take that into account when modelling, now we have results from probably the biggest mass testing ever and it contradicts the science were following.

That's a complete contradiction to the study of 10 million people in China.
    One of them is incorrect, it's worth remembering one isn't trying to bring in lockdowns or force people to wear masks. We've seen enough times how science evolves to suit a narrative.
    Have we any data here to say how many asymptomatic people go on to spread and make the people they infect symptomatic? I doubt they'd tell us even if they did know.

China had lockdowns.
    I have no idea what you on about.

People without symptoms can be infectious.
    I dont know the split of asymptomatic v presymptomatic but to say healthy people cant spread this disease is wrong.

People without symptoms can be infectious.
    I dont know the split of asymptomatic v presymptomatic but to say healthy people cant spread this disease is wrong.

Ah no to say healthy people can spread the virus is wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ryan turbidy thought he had a cold. But people are looking out for coughing, fever, breathing difficulties, lost sense and smell. Will they ever add feeling like a cold as a symptom?

• Advertisement

Ah no to say healthy people can spread the virus is wrong.

You cant tell the difference between someone who appears healthy who is presymptomatic v who will remain asymptomatic.
    They appear healthy.
    They can spread the virus.

As to whether those that remain asymptomatic can spread the virus, need to see more studies. Honestly something is a bit iffy about the study linked that I dont know how much weight to afford it.
    Maybe it is just badly worded.
    Maybe so many people in Wuhan were exposed to the virus in first wave there was no one left to infect by the 300 asymptomatics found in this phase.

But the article actually says:
    Public health measures for the prevention and control of COVID-19 epidemic, including wearing masks, keeping safe social distancing in Wuhan should be sustained.

I'd consider someone with cold symptoms a threat, they should not be out and about at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Results of the Chinese study where they Tested 10 million people, it appears to show asymptomatic people are not a threat like previous smaller studies.
    "There were no positive tests amongst 1,174 close contacts of asymptomatic cases"
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19802-w

This would really bring into question why healthy people should be subject to restrictions or mandates.
    I suppose better safe than sorry until peer revie ed evidence is available. No such studies were available in march, April may etc.

You cant tell the difference between someone who appears healthy who is presymptomatic v who will remain asymptomatic.
    They appear healthy.
    They can spread the virus.

As to whether those that remain asymptomatic can spread the virus, need to see more studies. Honestly something is a bit iffy about the study linked that I dont know how much weight to afford it.
    Maybe it is just badly worded.
    Maybe so many people in Wuhan were exposed to the virus in first wave there was no one left to infect by the 300 asymptomatics found in this phase.

You've a lot of maybe and assumption thrown in there to discredit what's been published. If it's true it makes a lot of your hardend beliefs wrong. It would take some serious mental gymnastics for you to accept it at face value.

Healthy people do not appear to be the threat you precieve them to be.
    Taking your assumption it went through the whole of Whuhan so only 300 positives remained puts the whole pandemic in the hoax category and Sweden was wrong for not continuing to let it rip.

You've a lot of maybe and assumption thrown in there to discredit what's been published. If it's true it makes a lot of your hardend beliefs wrong. It would take some serious mental gymnastics for you to accept it at face value.
    Healthy people do not appear to be the threat you precieve them to be.
    Taking your assumption it went through the whole of Whuhan so only 300 positives remained puts the whole pandemic in the hoax category and Sweden was wrong for not continuing to let it rip.

Again no idea what you are on about with some of the remarks there.

I dont believe any info on cases or deaths from Wuhan for the early wave of the pandemic.

Swedens reporting is so obtuse it is unreliable.

You havent explained how you know who is 'healthy'. Who is asymptomatic v presymptomatic.
    So I see zero reason to alter any of the current measures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Anyone with half a brain cell could work out that. I've never heard anymore nonsense in my life it's obivous you can't spread something you don't have. The masks are useless studies have shown that dust can penetrate a surgical mask and the virus is 400 times smaller so obivously it can get through a bog standard cloth or surgical mask.

The reason why cases and deaths were high in March/April was because hospitals and nursing homes couldn't and are still struggling to get their sh1t together. We're basically all being treated as criminals because of the HSEs incompetence.

GT89 wrote: »
    Anyone with half a brain cell could work out that. I've never heard anymore nonsense in my life it's obivous you can't spread something you don't have. The masks are useless studies have shown that dust can penetrate a surgical mask and the virus is 400 times smaller so obivously it can get through a bog standard cloth or surgical mask.

The reason why cases and deaths were high in March/April was because hospitals and nursing homes couldn't and are still struggling to get their sh1t together. We're basically all being treated as criminals because of the HSEs incompetence.

Asymptomatic spread is an established concept in infectious diseases.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptomatic_carrier

What people with half a brain cell can work out is often the wrong answer.

I can rebut the garbage about masks on the masks thread... in fact it has already been rebutted and thoroughly discredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Can masks stop bits of saliva flying out of your mouth?

And as a follow up, do you have any issue with other peoples spit going in your mouth/eyes/nose and do you think it can be spread from that happening?

So I see zero reason to alter any of the current measures.

I don't expect you to change your mind, your 100% correct in your head and nothing is going to change that.

Some people will see that report as good news and look for the positives.

We have a severe lack of data in this country when it comes to pre/asympto/sympto case tracing.
    I'm not sure how NPHET can ever row back and admit they were wrong. Hiding the data protects their narrative.

I don't expect you to change your mind, your 100% correct in your head and nothing is going to change that.

Some people will see that report as good news and look for the positives.

We have a severe lack of data in this country when it comes to pre/asympto/sympto case tracing.
    I'm not sure how NPHET can ever row back and admit they were wrong. Hiding the data protects their narrative.
    There's a severe lack of data on this globally.....and still a lot of unknowns about the virus.

All of these conspiracy theories about NPHET wanting to keep the country in indefinite lockdown.....why?

• Advertisement

And as a follow up, do you have any issue with other peoples spit going in your mouth/eyes/nose and do you think it can be spread from that happening?

When was the last time that actually happened to you? People do not go around spitting on each other.

It can still get through the mask. If dust can get through a mask so can droplets. The only mask that offers protection is an n95.

I don't really care if someone coughs or sneezes in my face unlike most I'm not living in fear of a virus that's no worse than the flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Anyone with half a brain cell could work out that. I've never heard anymore nonsense in my life it's obivous you can't spread something you don't have.

The crazy thing is no challenge trials have ever been done to prove how it spreads

Vaccines launching in 3 weeks worldwide and no pharma company has infected people deliberately to see do they even work.

A placebo vs vaccine trial where people go about there business for 3 months unsupervised.

Only way to know what your dealing with it is put people in a clinical setting, locked in and watch them 24/7, put Covid in the air and see what happens

China is the only country in the world that would do trials like that and as such if they say Covid doesn't spread asymptomatic I believe them, they've probably done those trials in secret ffs ;-)

They are the worlds number one super power

Covid has proved they are the Alpha

kippy wrote: »
    There's a severe lack of data on this globally.....and still a lot of unknowns about the virus.

All of these conspiracy theories about NPHET wanting to keep the country in indefinite lockdown.....why?

If there are so many unknowns about the virus how can there be vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Stark

When was the last time that actually happened to you? People do not go around spitting on each other.

How do you think the saying "say it, don't spray it" originated?

For that matter, ever sat in the first couple of rows when watching a play?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    How do you think the saying "say it, don't spray it" originated?

For that matter, ever sat in the first couple of rows when watching a play?

Most people know to sneeze into their elbow or a tissue when they sneeze. There's zero need to wear masks.

If there are so many unknowns about the virus how can there be vaccine?

The vaccine does one thing and one thing only.

We don't know where this virus came from, where patient 0 was, how long it has been active, why some people react worse than others, what, if any, issues are there a few months/years down the line from getting the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Isn't that the point though, we think we know the science, we already know this was floating around in September last year yet professor Nolan's charting refuses to take that into account when modelling, now we have results from probably the biggest mass testing ever and it contradicts the science were following.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/health-experts-favour-tighter-covid-restrictions-the-politicians-less-1.4415096
    There is also a suspicion in Government that the team is not sharing all the data it has. There are many reasons for its suspicion – not least the fact that the team was insisting on a lockdown when the numbers were just at their peak. Sharp-eared Government officials heard RTɒs George Lee – a journalist with a special insight into, and affinity for, the team’s thinking, it might fairly be said – say that “Nphet have far more numbers than what is published”.

In a not unrelated development, the Department of the Taoiseach has commissioned its own data marshalling operation.

Consultants EY have been drafted in to crunch the data in order to get a clearer picture of exactly where infections are occurring. The idea is, according to sources familiar with the brief, so that commercial areas shut down but posing little risk of spreading infections can be allowed to open, and stay open.

I find it incredibly unsettling that this news about the government hiring people to extrapolate data from NPHET isn't front-page material, that it's just thrown in as an afterthought.

kippy wrote: »
    The vaccine does one thing and one thing only.

We don't know where this virus came from, where patient 0 was, how long it has been active, why some people react worse than others, what, if any, issues are there a few months/years down the line from getting the virus.

Unhealthy people react worse to the virus than the healthy people that's well known. The long term effects is more scaremongering nonsense.

• Advertisement

Most people know to sneeze into their elbow or a tissue when they sneeze. There's zero need to wear masks.

Apparently masks dont stop the droplets.
    But sneezing into your elbow does...

Yeah. Right.
    Your nonsense about masks has been discredited and rebutted already on the proper thread.

Advertisement