Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to forward certain ports on Eir fibre box

Options
  • 20-11-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have FTTH gigabit broadband and Eir's F3000 (Sagemcom eir Fibre box 1A 1.0) router. All is good except when I tried to forward my port 80 or 443 to gain external access to Raspberry Pi unit running Home Assistant.

Facts:

- Raspberry Pi listening on port 443
    - external port 443 forwarded to local IP of the RPi unit
    - testing from mobile (4g connection): ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
    - testing using canyouseeme and similar sites: PORT CLOSED
    - I tried enabling DMZ for the local IP of RPi: no difference
    - same story with port 80
    - but when I forward any other random external port (i.e. 8000) to local port 443 on RPi it all works fine

To me it looks like either Eir blocks port 443 or else the router itself doesn't allow forwarding this port maybe because it reserves it for HTTPS connection to it's web interface?

Any ideas, anybody?

Cheers
    Piotr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably reserved for "remote management" aka its own config webserver on WAN side.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AndrzejL

Eir always does stupid stuff like that... This time they a) completely disable ACL (access control) You used to be able to allow access to ftp / http / https ports from WAN / LAN - now that's gone - possibly so people cannot disable their access to your router from WAN side so that they can connect and mess with your settings... b) because of the a some of the ports are now impossible to forward like port 80 or 443 or 465... etc.

Last time they also disabled hairpin nat on the F2000 modem so even IF you were able to setup port forwarding you were not able to access your own services from within the LAN... Great. Easily fixed by setting up domain in the hosts file with the local address of your server but still PITA because not every mobile device can do it so you won't be able to access your services from your phone... ipad... etc. Of course they did exactly the same thing with the F3000 router. Dumbasses... Oh well... I will need to get a better router and replace their rubbish box.

Regards.

Andrzej

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Raoul

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am having the exact same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jodel

I have the same problem. Has anyone found a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Raoul

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Jodel

I have a similar setup, with a raspberry pi hosting a small web server. I need to forward port 80 and 443. Eir offers no support on the problem.

I was thinking of putting their fibre box in bridging mode and using another router connected to it. However, the land line is plugged into the fibre box and apparently i will have no land line connection if i put the Eir fibre box in bridging mode.

Is there any drop in replacement for Eirs modem/router that would give both the broadband and phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DaveHD

Rather than bridging the eir router you have to dmz it this keeps the VOIP service active on the eir router and you own router takes care of network duties. Bridging turns off the VOIP layer

Look at this thread which is about the BT/EE router which is the same as the eir router with exactly the same issues

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/m-p/2095497#M77781

I have dmz'ed my eir router and use an Asus router following the steps in this thread. Warning this can be heavy reading

Advertisement