Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Garden Bird Survey 2020/21

Options
124»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭beertons

gzoladz wrote: »
    They only arrived 10/15 years ago and they are doing great. I am hoping to get some in my local park but that must be 3/5 years away.

Can you elaborate on this, who brings them in? How big does the Park have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

bb12 wrote: »
    saw a woodpecker pecking on a silver birch tree today. never seen or heard one before and didn't even know they were in ireland

Years ago I was in the UK staying in an old country pub. Went for a walk one evening after work and heard a woodpecker for the first time in my life. Eventually found him high up in the forest, bigger than I expected, but I'm not sure what I expected. Anyway, when I got home, I looked up woodpeckers, and read that sightings in Ireland were extremely rare. Perhaps they are starting to proliferate here now. I'm sure crossing the Irish Sea would be no problem, given the recent reports of Goldies travelling between here and Germany.

beertons wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this, who brings them in? How big does the Park have to be?

They have colonised naturally, flew across from UK. A decent population has built up in the east, principally Wicklow, and are now breeding widely in Leinster, and are regularly seen prospecting even more widely. Almost all of the island has some suitable habitat for them.

I don't know how true it is, but the great Elm die off from the 1960s onwards has been put forward as a possible reason for an increase in population, with lots of dead standing wood providing food and habitat. Similar may occur/be occurring with Ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I've never seen a Woodpecker but the one day I actually heard one in Bohernabreena I truly believed someone was working nearby with a hammer! I later learned it was a woodpecker from a friend who knows about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

I saw a woodpecker in my dad's garden last week. First time I've seen one in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^

and where are you?

Monaghan!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

they're getting further inland then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

bunny_mac wrote: »
    Monaghan!

what part of the county? i knew they have been seen in derrygorry woods near the tyrone border.

what part of the county? i knew they have been seen in derrygorry woods near the tyrone border.

Not far from Monaghan town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

Heard one from my back garden in Nth East Dublin last year, couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was convinced someone was working nearby or some more logical reason as I couldn't believe a woodpecker could live in the wild in Dublin but after googling the sound it was definitely a Woodpecker. Heard it almost daily for a couple of weeks but nothing since.
    Hope to hear it again someday or even better see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Came across a good bird Id app this week called birdnet.

It records and analyses the song and tells you the bird

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Came across a good bird Id app this week called birdnet.

It records and analyses the song and tells you the bird

Thanks so much for this can't wait to use it.

I have no problem identifing all normal birds when I see them but get so confused by bird song.

So frustrating when you can hear the birds but can't see them and work out what they are.

appledrop wrote: »
    I have no problem identifing all normal birds when I see them but get so confused by bird song.

Same! There are only a few I recognise (robin, blackbird, goldfinch, starling), everything else I can't distinguish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If you're looking to learn bird songs and calls, see the link below which has memorable descriptions and links to songs/calls. Apps that help identify bird song are great, but they're not always accurate (BirdNet confidently identified a singing Redstart near me the other day... there isn't a Redstart in the entire country at the moment!). Even just learning a handful of the more common songs will allow you to identify when there's something 'different' around, so it's well worth the time and effort and ultimately very rewarding.

https://birdwatchireland.ie/our-work/surveys-research/research-surveys/countryside-bird-survey/cbs-bird-songs-and-calls/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I'd love to hear a cuckoo this year. I've only ever heard it once at the Burren. I'm living in Cork. Can anyone recommend where I would have a good chance of hearing one around the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

happyday wrote: »
    I'd love to hear a cuckoo this year. I've only ever heard it once at the Burren. I'm living in Cork. Can anyone recommend where I would have a good chance of hearing one around the county?

Unfortunatly you probably won't hear one these days over most of the South and East of that county due to intensive farming. Your best chance is head to moutainous areas in the North and West of the county eg. Glengarrif

Advertisement