Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky SIRO Regular Dropouts

Options
  • 19-11-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Anyone with Sky SIRO having intermittent drop outs?

I moved from Vodafone SIRO to Sky SIRO on Tuesday and ever since I've been having intermittent broadband drop outs. Each one might only be for 30 seconds but as I'm RDP'd/Citrix into work, I lose connection and have to log back in each time which takes a couple of minutes. Happened at least 6 times yesterday and one in the middle of the kids Zoom music lessons last night.

Vodafone SIRO was rock solid.

I'm also using an Asus RT-AC68U router so wondering do I need to plug the Sky one in for a while before reinstalling the Asus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SachaJ

The log on the Asus router seems to be always the same. See attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check the 68Us logs. Sounds like an hour long lease.

EDIT: Hadnt refreshed. Your PPPoE sessions are terminating, check your settings for a release time there.

I see no setting for release time. See attached.

Looking at the logs they are not regular as I thought they were earlier. Today I've had one at 09:46 and another at 10:21. Yesterday I had them at 15:57, 16:47 and 19:35.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Test with the Sky one for a day, you can mimic your settings so devices connect automatically.

Also watch the ONT for a LOS light but it really shouldn't be the optical link.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlos

Hi SachaJ,

I've just signed up for sky Siro too and having a very similar issue. Regular drop outs every 1-2 hours, I'm using the RT-AC66U and from the logs it's disconnecting with the same error:
    WAN Connection: No response from ISP.

wondering if you found a solution for this?

still yet to receive the sky router which is stuck with an post since wednesday.

• Advertisement

I plugged in the Sky router and it's working fine now. I have yet to go back to the 68U.

Did this sort it out for you? Now that I've been running off the Sky router, I might try the 68U again and see if there's any dropouts

not so far, been experimenting with different combinations of the internet detection setting but haven't found a combination that works. Some seem to reduce the frequency but nothing eliminated it. Now set to DNS probe with a max failure of 0 - been stable last 3 hours so fingers crossed.

Sky router is arriving later today, i need to use a custom dns and dyndns update so might just try and use the AC66u in WAP mode and leave the router function to the sky hub.

that setting didn't work either to resolve the disconnects.

have just switched to the sky hub, wifi speed is surprisingly decent and while i can't set the dns there is an option to connect to dyndns and i'll just set the dns on the individual devices. Hopefully this also ends the disconnects for me too.

carlos wrote: »
    that setting didn't work either to resolve the disconnects.

have just switched to the sky hub, wifi speed is surprisingly decent and while i can't set the dns there is an option to connect to dyndns and i'll just set the dns on the individual devices. Hopefully this also ends the disconnects for me too.

I have a baseless theory that maybe Sky need their own router to connect to flag the connection is configured. Once that happens, maybe its stable. I'll try my Asus router again over the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 fminus

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is oddly specific. Did you ever find a solution to this issue. I'm having the exact same problem every 2 hours and cannot find a workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

I'm going to bump this thread to see if anyone has an Asus AC66U router running OK with Sky SIRO? I've failed to get one to work, even though the same router has worked fine over several years with other SIRO isps e.g. Digiweb until switch to Sky, previously vodafone etc. I've used the usual VLAN 10 and MTU 1492 with either anything@skydsl/anything or macadress@skydsl/macaddress but to no avail. I've also done a full factory reset on the Asus.

I've also tested a Fritzbox at same location and no problems. Seems to be something specific to the Asus which I can't figure out.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 icantfindaname11

i had AC88U and had the same issue with Sky Siro connection. same router worked fine when i was with Vodafone Siro. something is definitely strange with Asus and Sky Siro set up.

i am kind of "happy" to see that I am not the only one (i though that my router was faulty), as i havent got any responses for this question in different places, on the other hand it is pity that there is no solution to this, and it is a common problem.

I have tried all the combinations with my asus, no joy, intermittently dropped the connection which made it unusuable as my zoom calls were interrupted!

i will move back to Vodafone when the contract end just because of this reason.

i always see this messages in the logs when the router was disconnected:

lldpd[483]: removal request for address of 193.95.158.125%15, but no knowledge of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

This seems to be an issue with Asus routers and PPPOE - there was a thread back between 2019 and 2021 talking about the same thing - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058037925/sky-fibre-using-my-own-asus-router

So it would seem that its an Asus firmware thing. Its been a while since I used an Asus router (with UPC at the time so different set-up) but it used to be possible to flash an alternative firmware on them. Something like https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ that may be better.

I had Sky on OpenEir fibre but used a Unifi USG gateway and it was rock solid.

The other option may be a different brand of router.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 icantfindaname11

I have tried Asus ac88u with both stock and Merlin firmware, they gave me both same result. As you say there might something with sky and asus pppoe. Because same router worked perfectly fine with Vodafone.

as you suggest I should try another router to see if that would work with sky. That might shed some light on this.

Advertisement