Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Fibre - Using my own Asus router?

Options
  • 12-12-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

My current setup is that I have the standard Sky router at the point of entry to the house. I have wireless disabled and the only connection to the Sky router is a (long) ethernet cable to my own Asus router in another room.
    So all traffic (wired and wireless) is through the Asus.

I'd like to get rid of the Sky router and connect my Asus router directly. I would then get another Asus router and use their AIMesh to direct the traffic.

Is is possible?

Any tips on how to set up the router to connect to Sky.

I didn't post this on the Talkto forum as Sky will just tell me it is not supported.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oliver29

Hi. Hopefully you're already sorted, just in case.

I did this a while back myself, an Asus router gave an extra meg on a very slow adsl line :)

user : abcdefgh@skydsl

Pretty sure I used abcdefgh for the password but i see others saying that 1234567890abcdef worked. Exacct password might not be important any more.

I've moved to a vodafone fibre connection since, if you want more of the adsl settings let me know and I can boot up the asus router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭swoofer

With the latest wheez from eir I am thinking of moving to sky but I have FTTH, is it possible to use ASUS router instead of sky one? I keep reading its tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 icantfindaname11

this is an old topic but maybe there is some new info. I am SKY Fibre customer.

I tried to replace SR203 modem with Asus AC88U, merlin installed on that. using PPPoE settings I was able to remove and use my Asus router.

however I observed that Asus router dropped PPPoE connection intermittently, without a pattern, which made this set up unusable. In the logs it started with lines like

lldpd[483]: removal request for address of 193.95.158.125%15, but no knowledge of it

then WAN dropped and reconnect within 5-10 sec. of course if you are gaming or using VPN, that's not acceptable.

tried to speak with Sky, but they say they don't support 3rd party modems.

i have seen many posts on different forums related to Asus modem and PPPoE issues. I was not sure where the problem was, on SKY or Asus side, so I gave up. Using Asus modem now connected SKY modem, which works but one extra modem with cable and energy consumption.

if you are thinking of doing something similar, consider this info, before you spend money.

I would be happy to hear any information or knowledge from any one here

Advertisement