Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corps SAR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭roadmaster

From a planning permission side of things it is a wonder they did not need planning as it is a change of use of the airfield in away or can aircraft take off and land at anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

If they wanted peace and quiet, they shouldn't have moved to Lucan.

Well this contract is getting messy as suspected. How long before the air corps is asked to fill the gap with there magic fleet of helicopters ready to go?

I know there is a shortage of crew and CHC are playing games but the local public-representatives cant let the base close for 1 week let alone a longer time period as if it is closed for 6 months with no effect to the overall contract the dept can say look it can be done with 3 bases like we said.

Post edited by roadmaster on

Nothing to do with the Air Corps. CHC have been given a large wad of cash to provide the service, its up to them to do so until their contract ends.

If they fail to provide the service, they just give back the money we have paid them.

It will do indirectly as are politcial class believe the defence forces can step in to solve anything anytime and if there is gap in the sar coverage they will look for the air corps to step in with aircraft they dont have.

At this stage i would say CHC would have no problem walking away as they can say its out of there hands despite what the contract says.

Why is regina doherty getting involved now whats the connection there?

• Advertisement

What does "are political class" mean?

Our Councillors, Senators, TDs . Remember the only reason we have a waterford coast guard helicopter base this time is because the local politians made it an issue the same as in the past when the dept wanted to make waterford a day time base only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I note today that Casa CHARLIE252 flew her last Air Corps mission to Shannon, she is oficially retired.

I think Oireachtas privileage is being pushed to the limit by the senators below with some of there statements.

The Local TDs in wexford and Waterford have also jumped on the bandwagon. I dont see how this is Bristows problem all the same as its not up to them to provide the current service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Imagine TDs getting parochial!

One the serious issues with Irish politics, is the weakness of local government, and that TDs are sent to Dublin as parish pumpers, not as legislators for national policy.

I mean they do do the latter, but it is a distant second to the former.

And so even if a more efficient ASR service can be provided with a reconfigured base structure, these clowns won't even listen to the detail, they just want Waterford to be a base and thats it.

Craughwell is a disgrace. Ranting over the weekend that there has been no official DF recognition of the Murder of Pte Patrick Kelly 40 years ago.

Reality was local Veterans had a ceremony where the branch renamed itself the Paddy Kelly branch, and the 6th Inf Bn in Athlone also had a ceremony, and the Square in Costume barracks has been renamed for him.

Problem was the bauld ger wasn't invited, therefore it never happened. He likes to boast about his military experience at any opportunity, but sadly neither Army had him long enough to teach him respect for the chain of command.

A spoofer and a blow hard. Always has a great welcome for himself.

Bristow will be taking some of the CHC crew probably by the end of Febuary to start training on the aw189 to be ready for Q4 this year.

If CHC do act the magot and say they can no longer operate one of the bases due to staff shortages will they have to give the government department advance notice or could they just pull the plug?

You would think its just a bluff by them as it would not help there reputation world wide when going for other contracts.

They can't just pull the plug. For two reasons:

a) The penalty they would have to pay to the Dept of Transport for non-performance would be eye-watering

and b) If they hope to get any public SAR contracts anywhere in the World again, such behaviour could ruin them.

Good news with the Coastguard Crews with agreement on Transfers

CHC doing a lot of unhelpful scaremongering since they lost the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

I see the Senator is OUTRAGED that Bristow is using second hand helicopters….

Bristow is using aircraft from it's own fleet. Same as CHC did before them. The weekend visitor was a 2107 build I believe, which would make it newer than any of the S92 CHC had in service for the same role. It's been used as passenger transport until now, which means any factory glitches will be well flagged and sorted.

The Senator needs to CTFO.

I see 2 Excel are still looking for flight crew and sensor operators for the king airs. Potential air corps crew must have decided to stay put.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Did you see its flight on FR24/ADSB Playback, interesting around Athy.

Yeah, what's there?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭vswr

I'm not against Bristow getting the contract, nor am I against the 189's (although I do think the S-92 is better for Atlantic OPS).

I do think the tender process was a farce though and the government did themselves no favours.

IAC proposed AW189's and lost out because of it, CHC changed their proposal to an all S-92 fleet, as they were told also about AW189's not being sufficient, but, also changing some east coast bases to possible 169's. Then, the only all AW189 contract bit, wins the contract :-D

terrible carry on, someone potentially dying during someones sleepy time

Unless you were involved in the tender process how do you know that any of the above is accurate. If you were involved in the tender process and you reveal this information here, you realise the position you put yourself in?

Perhaps leave the speculation to senators with axes to grind.

Ah it will all come out, bit of a shambles really, but, so are most Government tenders. This was essentially a no IAC (and justifiably so) and get rid of CHC scenario.

It is healthy for contracts of this type to be changed at frequent intervals. Otherwise the provider can become complacent.

Most definitely, and that's what the government's stance will be, that the Bristow offering is something that meets all obligations of the tender. They also have current, and past verifiable experience of successfully delivering a rotary and fixed wing SAR contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mupper2

Exactly, we're not running a corporate charity gig that never stops, the only duty is to saving lives, who ever can do that well..

• Advertisement

Advertisement