Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living In Rathdrum, Wicklow

Options
  • 18-11-2020 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Myslef and my husband are thinking of buying a property in Rathdrum and moving from Dublin.
    We love Wicklow and can both work from home, so we don't need to travel for work. Its a big decision and were not familiar with the area. Can anyone tell me what the area is like, schools, creches. Is there local sport clubs and so forth. Any information to help with our decision would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Myslef and my husband are thinking of buying a property in Rathdrum and moving from Dublin.
    We love Wicklow and can both work from home, so we don't need to travel for work. Its a big decision and were not familiar with the area. Can anyone tell me what the area is like, schools, creches. Is there local sport clubs and so forth. Any information to help with our decision would be really appreciated

Have you bought yet, where are you looking?

Area is grand, typical small rural town.

3 primary Schools, 2 crèches, One good Secondary school.
    GAA, Soccer, Rugby, Gymnastics, Athletics.
    2 small shops and one supermarket.
    3 pubs and one restaurant with plenty on establishment with a short drive.

Tis grand!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jane Raikar

We were looking at the new build in viewmount buts its sold out. A new development is coming up in Avondale Grange that we've registered our interested for.

We drove around the village a couple of weeks ago and there seems to be a lot of building work and development . Because of lock down we can't spend much time there to get a real feel for it.

I've an 8 and 2 year old, so that's good there clubs and good schools

Whats the area like?
    Is there much anti social behaviour? I know you get it everywhere but in general is there ever much trouble?

I appreciate the response l

I’m living in Rathdrum all my live. The town is good. Was neglected for a good while but it is very much on the up now. Very little anti social behaviour, as you say it’s no different to anywhere really. Not much trouble, no.
    Not familiar with the Avondale Grange development. I’ll look it up and shout you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jane Raikar

I’m living in Rathdrum all my live. The town is good. Was neglected for a good while but it is very much on the up now. Very little anti social behaviour, as you say it’s no different to anywhere really. Not much trouble, no.
    Not familiar with the Avondale Grange development. I’ll look it up and shout you back.

Brilliant Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Johnnystephens

Unfortunately the small town/ village is destroyed with monstrous housing estates ...The street was only meant for horse and carts and can't cope with the surge in traffic so much so it's grid locked most days with nowhere to park. Shops are extremely expensive so most people shop in Wicklow and Arkow..Not a lot in the way of good sports facilities for kids or adults..Boys school is grand [ SNIP] , tech is mediocre.Other than that the surrounding scenery is outstanding.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the small town/ village is destroyed with monstrous housing estates ...The street was only meant for horse and carts and can't cope with the surge in traffic so much so it's grid locked most days with nowhere to park. Shops are extremely expensive so most people shop in Wicklow and Arkow..Not a lot in the way of good sports facilities for kids or adults..Boys school is grand [SNIP], tech is mediocre.Other than that the surrounding scenery is outstanding.

I’m struggling to find something in this post which isn’t horse ****e.

Did someone from the town run away with your wife or what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Please remember it's a small community when throwing out disparaging remarks. Post #6 edited

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Any chance that the salacious thread title could be corrected? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Title changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Johnnystephens

I’m struggling to find something in this post which isn’t horse ****e.

Did someone from the town run away with your wife or what?
    Lived in it all my life, it is now destroyed, the only horse stuff you mention is coming from yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Wicklowgal01

Hi Jane, I've lived in Rathdrum all my life too and it's a nice little village. 3 primary and 1 secondary school. I've had dealing with 3 of them and no issues. Lots of clubs around locally to get to know people (obviously not the moment with Covid). Traffic on the main street can be a nightmare like someone else mentioned but doesn't bother me too much. Having Avondale on our doorstep is great and places like Glenmalure and Glendalough so close is brilliant too. It's good you can wfh as commuting to Dublin is tough, I've done it! It's fairly quiet around, that's a good thing I think. My other half isn't from here originally but now he loves it!! D

Lived in it all my life, it is now destroyed, the only horse stuff you mention is coming from yourself.

Right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 690Duke

Hi, I know it’s been a while since you posted but just wondering if you went ahead with the move and how it worked out. Currently looking at buying a new home in the Avonmore development and just looking for information on how people that moved there within the last few years are finding it. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Help_Dubai

Anyone know anything about these developments in Rathdrum - next / new phases due in all of the below soon:

Avonmore View - full new phase soon

Avondale Grange - full new phase soon

Avondale Meadows - 8 more houses coming

Stewart’s Hall - 17 more houses coming

No prices confirmed yet, all due to go up substantially from previous phases, not surprisingly…

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

Following thread page 16 about Wicklow/Rathnew has some info on Rathdrum

New Wicklow Town/Rathnew Estates - Page 16 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Avondale Grange phase 2 seems to be flying up. Almost in time to be ready alongside phase 1.

Surprised to see they are not advertised yet, unless there was enough of a demand left from phase 1.

I see Avondale Forest will have parking charges when it opens.

I think a housing body, Tuath maybe, bought a number of those houses so there’ll be quite a bit of social housing in that estate, beyond the local authority required 10%.

Most new builds are social housing as they begin to phase out private ownership.

From the Social Housing Construction Projects Status Report Q3 2021; you can find a list of all social housing projects in the country by in county order

Avonmore View 13 social housing

Avondale Heights, 20 houses

Avondale Grange, 36 houses. Respond are the housing group there. More than half the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

I looked into buying here last year. The entire 2nd phase is social housing. The estate agent said it would be atleast this summer before any would be available for private buyers

• Advertisement

The 8 new houses at Avondale Meadows sold out, never even saw them advertised. No social housing units in the 8 as only developments of 10+ have to provide social housing units.

The 17 new houses at Stewart’s Hall will have at least 2 social housing units (local authority), don’t know about housing body units. Same developer and agent as Avondale grange, so respond or tuath could purchase units.

New avonmore view phase not likely to be up for sale until September now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 John E.

All very useful information .... thanks to all those contributing. 😊

One Question: Does anybody have copies of brochures for any of these developments they could share online?? It's not clear in what condition any of these properties are being offered and hence not clear what the rising prices really mean.

I viewed some new-builds in Gorey where the condition and finish was top notch but the added commuting distance for me was just too much and so I am restricting myself to Rathdrum and the like. Yet I have heard that a lot of the Wicklow properties (e.g. Tinahilly in Rathnew) are being sold in bare bones form meaning an additional large budget is required to make them habitable.

Is this the same in the Rathdrum developments??

John, sent you a pm.

Avondale Grange are without white goods in kitchen, tiles and flooring. There is plywood or equivalent upstairs.

They are decent houses otherwise, good sized bathroom and high ceiling.

A work colleague bought in Enniscorthy and it had everything. Floors and an oven.

Presuming commute to Dublin, Gorey is similar commuting time (driving) as Rathdrum as there is more time on the motorway.

Thanks Pat.

I see from the brochure a reference to a €1,000 tiling allowance—and that’s it. Brochure doesn’t even specify the usual stuff about air to water heating systems etc … It’s a very bare bones presentation, clearly confident that there will be takers regardless. And that is despite the large jump in prices this past year.

I saw tome top quality new builds in Enniscorthy too, but it’s too far from everything for me.

Are the other developments in Rathdrum bare bones propositions too (e.g. Avondale Meadows, Viewmount, Oak Springs) do you know??

I think flooring is becoming less and less common, unless the new builds are in a location not quite in as much demand. Don’t think flooring is included in most of the new builds in Rathdrum, nor are white goods - that seems to be disappearing too as demand is sufficient without that sweetener. Build quality is good though - air to water systems in most, BER A etc. Note the Avondale grange and Stewart’s hall houses are timber frame (same builder), Avondale meadows are block build (redmond construction), same as oak springs. Stewart’s hall just released, priced between €315k and €320k for 3 bed semis.

Thanks Help_Dubai … Not too fussed about the white goods (not expensive and easily fitted) but flooring is time AND money … And it complicates comparison between different builds, developments, locations etc. Oh, and what’s the relevant difference between a timber frame and block build house, do you know? Other than timber-frame builds taking less time to construct (or is that true?). Couldn’t find the Stewart’s Hall release listed anywhere online … is it on a local hoarding only?? And what do you make of those prices??

I’m no builder, but with the Irish climate and for longevity, I preference a block build myself. Contact the agent (McDonnell Properties) if you’re interested in the Stewart’s Hall houses), they’ve probably only shared details with waiting list people yet but will openly advertise if there are any left after that. 315-320 is expected but given where prices were 1, 2, 3 years ago… it’s painful. If social housing is a factor for you, do your research. Avondale meadows (8 houses) were 330 and sold out in a morning. There are loads of people on the waiting list for the next phase in Avonmore view apparently, so you need to be on the ball. You mightn’t get a place if you wait for them to be up on Daft etc. Rathdrum is a shorter commute than Gorey to Dublin, particularly if you’re taking the train. The train station, despite only 2 morning and 2 evening options is a big plus for Rathdrum. All other stops are in bigger more expensive places as you get closer to Dublin. Rathdrum is a not too discovered yet gem… don’t tell all the dubs moving out though 😋

Thanks Help-Hubai. I received an email notification from Daft.ie saying Stewarts Hall semis available at 315k.

• Advertisement

I think the ones at 320 are in the much better position and are slightly larger. A few are already sold and I wouldn’t think the others will be available for too long. If you look at the estate plan, the terraced ones will have a few local authority social housing units and one of the housing bodies may have purchased the others (so the grapevine says). I think avonmore view social housing units will be facing directly onto Stewart’s hall.

Advertisement