Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LTE-M / NB-IoT networks in Ireland?

• 17-11-2020 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

What's the latest on the rollout of these low power networks in Ireland?

Vodafone made some noise a year or two back about the upcoming rollout of NB-IoT across their network but not much since. I've ordered up some Vodafone V-SIMs but I'm reading that these just latch onto Vodafone's existing 4G networks.. it's not even clear if they work on their 2G or 3G networks. Three meanwhile have launched an M2M platform with Cisco but likewise, I suspect this just runs on their 4G network.

Anyone here doing anything in this line or know of any updates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

My Google search brings me to a thread started by myself 😅

Any insight since on developments in IoT networks on the island?

I've played around with Vodafone V-SIM's but their ridiculousy restricted device whitelisting process means you can only use the service on some pre-approved junk from China and one or two Reolink cameras.

I've asked them a few times through different channels if they would consider allowing the V-SIM's to be used relatively freely in any device, without pre-approval, and they could still protect their network and revenue from abuse by limiting throughout and by maybe still blacklisting smartphones. Not as much as an acknowledgment back and a few manufacturers I contacted claimed the same. Yet another Vodafone product with great potential left to die perhaps

Three have some form of M2M service which looks like it's being managed wholesale by Cisco. I've made contact and requested a starter pack more than once and yet again, not a peep back.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you have a corporate account? I suspect you'll need one to get anywhere.

A recent presser

ESB got 410Mhz but doubt they'll ever resell that, just use it instead of FM for network reporting.

No corporate account unfortunately... or fortunately depending how you look at it! I was looking to acquire up to 10 units to use in a telemetry system we were working on but we had to look at some solutions from the mainland (1nce, OpenM2M, etc...) who sell access onto the Irish networks. Capacity and pricing differences aside, they don't have the same cross-gen and other network access that the like of Vodafone's own V-SIM offered.

It's good to know all the same that their NB-IoT network is in fact up and working. Hopefully in time they'll open it up to smaller businesses and system developers.

On the ESB, do they intend to use this spectrum for domestic smart meters? I thought 3 had won the contract to haul this traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My guess is its not for meters, its for the distribution network. Small units "on the wires" so they know where a fault is on a long span etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 spudmuncher

I have been doing a little tinkering with NB-IoT using the RAKwireless RAK5860 module.

Like the OP, I also had no luck sourcing NB-IoT sims from vodafone ireland in low volume but I have found that Olivia Wireless sim cards work on the Irish Vodafone NB-IoT network. The current low offer is e10 per year for a 1GB limit. Last year when I ordered, I bought 2 sims with a 5 year package and a 250MB limit for e15 each but I don't see that offer any more. Type oliviawireless dot com slash pricing-flat-rate into your browser if they might suit your needs. I had previously been using 1NCE sims with 2G modems. They work on vodafone 2G/3G/4G but as yet not on NB-IoT.

Daithí

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Only saw this now and you're correct, distribution network only

ComReg also stated that, for the avoidance of doubt, Smart Metering is not considered part of a Smart Grid and so any roll-out obligation may not be based on, or include, any references to Smart Meter deployment.

400 MHz Band Spectrum Award | Commission for Communications Regulation (comreg.ie)

Thanks @spudmuncher

I hadn't heard of Olivia Wireless but having a quick look at their website, they list all Irish networks and gens on their coverage page but this seems to depend on the package chosen (data-pool plans have less networks available). No mention of Vodafone's NB-IoT either but the current offering looks very good and should cover all areas of the country.

Pricing for SIM's and data looks decent but they charge big money for some features that 1NCE include at no cost (VPN for example). I'll order a few PAYG SIM's and see how it goes

Here is the output from a modified version of the RAK Cellular_Ping example using a RAK5005-O baseboard, a RAK4631 processor module, a RAK5860 NB-IoT module and an Olivia Wireless SIM. For info on the AT command set look up docs for the Quectel BG77 module. As well as a ping, it performs a simple http get to a script that returns the current time. Curiously, after around 20s of searching, the status from the AT+CREG? query goes from "Searching" to "Registration denied" but the subsequent attach, ping and http get sequences still work.

RAK5860 Cellular TEST With Olivia Wireless NBIOT sim card!

BG77 power up!

RDY

ATI

Quectel

BG77

Revision: BG77LAR02A04

OK

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","simbase"

OK

AT+QCFG="nwscanseq",030303,1

OK

APP RDY

AT+CFUN=1,0

OK

AT+CPIN?

+CPIN: READY

OK

AT+CREG?

+CREG: 0,2

OK

// note added: the modem responds with 0,2 (searching) for around 20s and then goes to 0,3 (registration denied) but seems to work anyway

AT+CREG?

+CREG: 0,3

OK

AT+QNWINFO

+QNWINFO: "NBIoT","27201","LTE BAND 20",6354

OK

AT+QCSQ

+QCSQ: "NBIoT",0,-80,164,-10

OK

AT+CSQ

+CSQ: 31,99

OK

AT+QIACT=1

OK

AT+QIACT?

+QIACT: 1,1,1,"10.4.1.16"

OK

Begin receive packet from www.vodafone.com!

AT+QPING=1,"www.vodafone.com"

OK

+QPING: 0,"104.18.10.12",32,297,255

+QPING: 0,"104.18.10.12",32,135,255

+QPING: 0,"104.18.10.12",32,128,255

+QPING: 0,"104.18.10.12",32,128,255

+QPING: 0,4,4,0,128,297,172

AT+QHTTPURL=32,5

CONNECT

OK

AT+QHTTPGET=10

OK

+QHTTPGET: 0,200

AT+QHTTPREAD=5

CONNECT

<html><body>22/04/19,11:32:26+00 

OK

Interesting to see a real-world connection on the NB-IoT network

I'm surprised Olivia Wireless and more so Vodafone extend the same data allowance to their NB-IoT network as they do on their xG networks. What would be the benefit of using the NB-IoT network by default versus allowing the SIM to roam across the xG networks? Better coverage, lower power, cheaper radios? I assume the throughput on NB-IoT is much lower than available on 3G or 4G?

The standard xG networks are not designed for low power and modems can require several amps for short intervals, something that dry cell batteries are not good at providing. The NB-IoT network (as well as others such as SigFox and Lora) use communications protocols that trade off data capacity as well as latency for low power and long battery life. LTE-M is somewhere in the middle. Because they are low power, NB-IoT signals can also occupy the guard bands between frequency allocations which is quite useful in a crowded spectrum.

• Advertisement

Well explained thanks. Surprisingly low latency on the NB-IoT ping results you posted above too, comparable with older 2G / EDGE networks.

I see the likes of Waveshare sell combined NB-IoT / GPRS / EDGE hats for Raspberry Pi. I'll hopefully try one in the near future given a bit of time. Would be interesting to see how the unit & SIM handle roaming between NB-IoT and xG networks as this would be ideal for the likes of vehicle tracking in rural areas where the xG networks fall away

Yes, you are right about the fast pings, I hadn't taken much notice. I suppose the point is that the network does not guarantee low latency so you can't depend on it. As to why its so fast in this instance, I can see two reasons. The first is that I have a very strong signal at my house (the response of 31 to AT+CSQ implies maximum RSSI). When its deployed in its intended environment (measuring river levels in remote locations), the RSSI may well be significantly lower. The second and and probably the more pertinent reason that I can think of is that I'm probably the only sinner in Cork using NB-IoT at the moment and I have the whole of the system capacity to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coolcet

Hi,

Any updates on Irish NB-IOT coverage/access ? I was going to order an olivia wireless sim & maybe a waveshare hat, but they now seem to be offering LTE-M rather than NB-IOT. I'm confused, I've also tried signing up for a 3 starter kit, no joy, obviously still only interested in corporates, no interest in my use case for a mere 50 units :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Have tried IoT on 3 network sims but find the coverage is not good.

Advertisement