Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Recommend a plumber, Claregalway

• 16-11-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭ Gwynston

Seems like the pump on our power shower has stopped working. It might be repairable, but is 20 years old, so more likely will need replacing with a new shower unit.

Can anyone recommend a good plumber in the Galway area (we're in Claregalway) for such an installation job?
    (I get the impression lots of plumbers aren't interested in small jobs).

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko

This is a DIY job but if you rather have a pro do it you could try Conboy Electrical Sales & Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭ Gwynston

I do some DIY jobs but am not confident of doing anything electrical beyond basic stuff. And the only other DIY jobs I dislike more are plumbing-related! :rolleyes:

Having taken a quick look at the installer instructions for the old shower, it doesn't exactly look trival... :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko

If you put your model into youtube there may be a video to help there.
    Otherwise give Conboy a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ popa smurf

I changed an electric shower there during the summer and like yourself a little nervous but I was amazed how easy it was. Go to your local hardware and tell them the one you have take a picture of it if you want to, you need to replace like for like, turn off mains electric and water, there is just small water pipe and 3 wires. 20 min it job and great job satisfaction when finished. Put a seal around unit after with silicone and your good to go,

Yeah, I usually change these myself too. It is daunting the first time but youtube and other sources are a great help.
    If you change to same model or just change the insert it's a breeze.

This guy is a fun watch in any case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭ Gwynston

Ours is Mira Event Power Shower, so takes both hot and cold intakes.
    I might take the cover off and take some photos, then go in to Woodies to look for a replacement. I guess if I stick with Mira there's a good chance the pipework already in place will line up alright with the new one.

That's the only bit I'm afraid of - if it's just a case of attaching pipes in place with simple screw-on connectors, I'm sure I can do the job. But if any extra pipe routing with joints is required, I won't know what to do.

Based on my old shower's manual, I guess there will be some post-installation tuning steps to follow too?

Does this help?

Advertisement