Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for losing weight

Options
  • 16-11-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am looking to get into shape.
    My legs are fine as I used to do a lot of running and
    I’m getting back into it again.
    So I need to lose my belly.

I don’t mind repetition so can you advise me
    What I should eat daily please

I shop in Tesco every Saturday so if you could advise
    Me what I should be buying that would be brilliant

I am 75kg

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Patsy167

There is no magic food but there is plenty of good information and advice over in the Nutrition forum.

The sticky is a good starting point - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055157091

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bekindandfun7

Thanks very much for the reply ill check that out now

Much appreciated :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved to Nutrition & Diet forum :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Eat less is always a winner.

“Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” Very simplified and certainly not easy. Good starting point would be here https://ss.fitness/grocery-list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I recently dropped 10kg in the last 2 months. The reason for me was because my GP urged me to make changes due to very high blood pressure.
    I cut deli meat out of my diet entirely, removed high sugar and salt/sodium foods, switched to plant based milk (oat/almond) and margarine instead of butter.
    I also now use brown rice and whole wheat based foods like pasta and bread (which was tough for me because my favorite food in the world is well cooked white rice).
    Instead of meat I now use fish (cod, salmon, squid, prawn) and only drink water, Tea and one coffee per day. Also try to add as many vegetables to your meal as possible. I go for Broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, Kimchi, Edamame to name a few.

Managed to drop my blood pressure and 10KG by just this and going for a short run (2-3k) every 2. or 3. day. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fish and rice, chicken and rice, lots of veg, not too scientific but will be close to the right path.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bladespin wrote: »
    Fish and rice, chicken and rice, lots of veg, not too scientific but will be close to the right path.

just rice or rice cake?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Stay away from cakes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In a word, vegetables. That should be common knowledge but it isn't.

• Advertisement

just rice or rice cake?

Fish cake? Nah, pity, not the cake variety.

Plenty of options really but to squash it right down they're gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

• Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Less calories just for losing weight, without going down body composition rabbit holes.

The fitness chef is worth a look up, as it may be just swapping calorie dense foods for less calorie dense foods, and portion control. He does lots of infographics on facebook/ instagram comparing alternative options.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cut out bread. Eat lean meat, lots of veg.

Alcohol a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Denny61

Eat porridge every morning..you will lose weight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Denny61 wrote: »
    Eat porridge every morning..you will lose weight

How does consuming calories make you lose weight exactly?

You might want to give some context to your statement.

spurious wrote: »
    Cut out bread. Eat lean meat, lots of veg.

Alcohol a no no.
    I lost and have maintained an over 8 stone weight lost. I didn't, and haven't, stopped consuming bread. Or Alcohol.

Overall calorie intake is what matters, not individual foods or food groups.

Yes, I cut down on bread. Alcohol, not so much...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I lost and have maintained an over 8 stone weight lost. I didn't, and haven't, stopped consuming bread. Or Alcohol.

Overall calorie intake is what matters, not individual foods or food groups.

Alcohol can cause problems though, it can be very calorific and will mess up digestion to a degree, it's not magic gainer either lol but should be taken with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Lean proteins, good fats and real carbs. As a rule of thumb if you have to read the ingredients its not food. lol

Portion control.

Begin with making good habits. Try change one meal a day if needs be. For me breakfast was the first meal to change. I have the same breakfast 6 days a week.

Another tip is to try have protein with each meal.
    The best advice I ever got was to find the foods I loved, the foods I enjoyed. Nothing will stick if you hate what you eat

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Alcohol can cause problems though, it can be very calorific and will mess up digestion to a degree, it's not magic gainer either lol but should be taken with caution.
    Not going to argue it's good for you, but (for me) biggest issue diet wise is impact on will power.

I would caution against purely focusing on "Avoid X, Y, & Z"

A good tip I received years ago was to shift mindset from "avoid this/that" mentality toward focusing on having positive "add this/that".

In practice, what this would look like is "Today, I will have 5 different types of fruit and veg, and 3 x20g protein servings, & 2l water".

It was a real mind shift. If you go with a avoid this/that mentality, it may leave you feeling deprived if these are foods that you truly enjoy. This can then manifest in binges and also means that you have "failed" if you do give in to cravings. On the other hand, focusing on making additions means you can always be hit during the day and there is no black/white. The bad stuff will naturally fall of of your routine when you focus on adding/replacing, rather than avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I've lost two stone recently. For breakfast I would have either weetabix, porridge or eggs. For lunch I would have a wrap or pita. Dinner then I would have something nice mostly made from scratch. Meat and veg mainly. I wouldn't have any snacks during the day. Some evenings I would have a bag of popcorn, apple and peanut butter or a small bar of dark chocolate.

My two main tips would be to stick to your three meals a day religiously. Before I might skip breakfast and then at lunch I would be overeating. Second one would be avoid snacking. My biggest problem was big bags of crisps in the evening. If I do have a snack now it's much smaller and somewhat healthy in comparison.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not going to argue it's good for you, but (for me) biggest issue diet wise is impact on will power.

Absolutely, if it feels like a chore you'll never keep it up., moderation etc etc.

Advertisement