Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Breast lump check is 3-6 months

  • #2
    Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ rubyblues


    Hi, I'm just wondering what is a normal wait at the moment. A found a lump that felt hard but moveable -pea size. I have lumpy bpobs but I've bever felt anything like this so it alarmed me. Gp thought it might be cyst so sent off referral to James. I called them and they said as gp didn't mark urgent its 6 month wait for appointment. I know I should be reassured that she thinks it could be a cyst but its a long wait! Anyone in similar position? She has since sent to Vincent's but its 2-3 month wait there


Comments

  • #2


    rubyblues wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering what is a normal wait at the moment. A found a lump that felt hard but moveable -pea size. I have lumpy bpobs but I've bever felt anything like this so it alarmed me. Gp thought it might be cyst so sent off referral to James. I called them and they said as gp didn't mark urgent its 6 month wait for appointment. I know I should be reassured that she thinks it could be a cyst but its a long wait! Anyone in similar position? She has since sent to Vincent's but its 2-3 month wait there

    I'm in West Dublin so was sent to Beaumont. 2 weeks between referral and appointment. GP did say we are blessed on the Northside as there are big delays on the Southside. My appointment was two weeks ago so very recent.


  • #2


    Seems a long wait, I got an appointment within days for the Beaumont, referral on Monday, they called me on Tuesday and appointment was Friday. My GP had marked it urgent, this was all Pre Covid though and was the first time I'd found anything.

    If you're concerned maybe see if your GP can get it moved up


  • #2


    Was in the breast care centre in St James this morning, consultant examined a lump and is ordering a mammogram and ultrasound. Unfortunately I will have to go back for a separate appointment as they only have 5 slots for imaging a day!

    The doctor said they are dealing with a massive backlog of referrals.

    I was waiting 5 weeks from my GP referral to appointment, but I met the criteria for an urgent review (urgent is supposed to be 2 weeks)


  • #2


    Humour Me wrote: »
    Was in the breast care centre in St James this morning, consultant examined a lump and is ordering a mammogram and ultrasound. Unfortunately I will have to go back for a separate appointment as they only have 5 slots for imaging a day!

    The doctor said they are dealing with a massive backlog of referrals.

    I was waiting 5 weeks from my GP referral to appointment, but I met the criteria for an urgent review (urgent is supposed to be 2 weeks)

    I was lucky in Beaumont as my appointment was 8.15 so I got an imaging slot on the day. They were all gone by 9am


  • #2


    Hey guys, I hope ye are keeping well despite this really awful waiting period.

    Just wondering if anyone knows what the waiting list is like for the Galway clinic?

    I'm 21 so statistically almost certainly fine. My GP referred me as low risk "just in case", 5 weeks ago. I have not heard anything since. My aunt got BC at 29 (only relative on either side to have it out of like 15 other women) but I'm quite nervous. I think I've found another pea sized lump on my ribcage (bottom of my breast) which might just be cartilage or bone but it's my other breast so I'm scared. Don't wanna annoy my GP again being so young and already having been referred.

    God this system is horrific.


  • #2


    Hey guys, I hope ye are keeping well despite this really awful waiting period.

    Just wondering if anyone knows what the waiting list is like for the Galway clinic?

    I'm 21 so statistically almost certainly fine. My GP referred me as low risk "just in case", 5 weeks ago. I have not heard anything since. My aunt got BC at 29 (only relative on either side to have it out of like 15 other women) but I'm quite nervous. I think I've found another pea sized lump on my ribcage (bottom of my breast) which might just be cartilage or bone but it's my other breast so I'm scared. Don't wanna annoy my GP again being so young and already having been referred.

    God this system is horrific.

    If you haven't already, get back on to your GP, tell them about the second lump and you want to be moved up to an Urgent appointment. Its more than likely nothing but with the second one showing up, you might be prone to cysts or something that will have your head melted. Its better to push getting it checked. Don't let them use your age as a reason to delay


  • #2


    I was at the GP today for a lump, she referred me to St James's and said I should have an appointment in 2-3 weeks. Reading this thread, it looks like I could be waiting a lot longer than that?

    I wonder if I should have suggested going private, I do have health insurance but she never asked and I forgot to mention it.

    I'm not overly worried but I do have family history and other risk factors, it would be good to get it checked just for peace of mind.


  • #2


    I was in James's in January after a 3 month wait but I wasn't urgent.
    I was seen in the private clinic despite being public as they were using that to catch up on the back log, got imaging done that day too.
    Would definitely look into going private though especially if you have insurance anyway.


  • #2


    Got an appt for 18th May, so 3 weeks from GP to clinic.


  • #2


    I found a lump about two weeks ago, seen the doctor on Monday. She said the lump is very small, 'pea size', and doesn't believe it's anything to worry about. However she has referred me to get a mammogram and ultrasound just to be sure. She said the wait time would be weeks, so I said I would rather go private. I contact SVPH today, wait time there is still up to six weeks. My doctor said I could contact another hospital if it suited me as I'm paying OOP. Would there be somewhere anyone could recommend for a quicker appointment, in Dublin/Kildare area?

    I'm concerned as there is a number of different cancers in my extended families. A maternal aunt and paternal aunt have both had breast cancer, both had mastectomies'. I'm also very overweight, which I understand doesn't help at all and is something I'm working on.


  • #2


    downesy wrote: »
    I found a lump about two weeks ago, seen the doctor on Monday. She said the lump is very small, 'pea size', and doesn't believe it's anything to worry about. However she has referred me to get a mammogram and ultrasound just to be sure. She said the wait time would be weeks, so I said I would rather go private. I contact SVPH today, wait time there is still up to six weeks. My doctor said I could contact another hospital if it suited me as I'm paying OOP. Would there be somewhere anyone could recommend for a quicker appointment, in Dublin/Kildare area?

    I'm concerned as there is a number of different cancers in my extended families. A maternal aunt and paternal aunt have both had breast cancer, both had mastectomies'. I'm also very overweight, which I understand doesn't help at all and is something I'm working on.

    When I rang the Beacon recently, they said wait time at the moment was about 3 weeks.

    I just waited for the public clinic in St James's as it wasn't any longer in my case.

    Had my appointment yesterday, they did a mammogram and said they'd contact me within two weeks. I'm hopeful it's nothing, as I'm thinking they'd probably have told me on the day if it was anything to worry about.


  • #2


    That all sounds mad. It was November but two weeks from referral to appointment, as mentioned above. On the day they did mammogram, tomogram and ultrasound as well as cyst (what it turned out to be) drainage in two places. Having to wait 2 weeks for results would have been torture.


  • #2


    When I rang the Beacon recently, they said wait time at the moment was about 3 weeks.

    I just waited for the public clinic in St James's as it wasn't any longer in my case.

    Had my appointment yesterday, they did a mammogram and said they'd contact me within two weeks. I'm hopeful it's nothing, as I'm thinking they'd probably have told me on the day if it was anything to worry about.

    I'll give the Beacon a call to see how their wait times are at the moment.
    How long in advance did you get your appointment do you remember? At this stage it seems like it's similar times between public and private so it might be just as well to wait for my public appointment.

    Hopefully it is nothing for you. I'm sure they would have mentioned it if they spotted anything.


Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.