Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE and the €2 per entry competitions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Surely they'll get 25k people entering at 2e a shot over the 2 weeks and associated broadcast mentions.
    For a hotel stay and 1k spending money, they're surely cleaning up on these lottery type competitions.

Its like the national lottery, its a tax on stupidity. The good news is it is proportional. I used to play the lottery until I saw the "real" numbers, then I saw the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There is something deeply off about a publicly funded national broadcaster's "flagship" show, pedaling a weekly raffle to the extent it does, every Friday night.

Considering how bad the Late Late Show now is and the procession of RTE lovies and assorted nobodies it wheels out, anyone would get the impression that the programme's real raison d'etre is purely to try to hawk a competition in which it makes a nice a wedge of income. Tubridy literally reminds viewers about it before every ad break, so that must be 4-5 times per show. It's disgusting.

yeah its a bit over the top at this stage and they really seem to be over relying on these competitions for revenue. Anytime they show football, GAA, rugby, etc they'll have a competition too and you'll see an ad for it five or six times across the couple of hours coverage, the presenters are being told to really hammer it.

I read before that Dancing with the Stars is also a good generator for revenue from people texting in to vote too, in that instance they make even more money because there is no prize to pay for, its just your vote for who gets to stay on the show.

Advertisement