Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Golf Membership Prices in Cork

  • 13-11-2020 1:01am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 20 Soundshkin


    Hi All,

    I am currently looking to join a golf club in the Cork area (Cork city / East cork preferably) as I am finished in the student category(was €360 a year) in my current club (which I was a member of for 4 years) and the entrance fee(9k) is a bit much to join as a full member now on top of the annual fee.

    I have been trying to get in touch over the last couple of months with most clubs to see any offers available but most have not replied, presumably due to the quantity of people after taking up golf membership this year.

    I was hoping that some members here might have information for me as to the price of membership at some of the clubs in Cork and whether they are accepting new members. I know this topic has been raised previously but I cant find any information on here about this topic that isn't ~10 years old.

    Thanks a million for any replies


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭ Mushy


    Cobh is 800 for the year (October to September). Unsure on any deals right now, did have one earlier in year for year and a half. Monthly pay option too of 77 a month, works out far more but can be workable at least


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ Deporhostia


    I know Muskerry is €1400, not quite the location you’re looking for.

    And Douglas is upwards of €9000, I guess that’s where you’re leaving? Their application process for next year is now closed.

    I think Cobh, mentioned above, has a nice balance of affordability and a decent course. It’s a bit hilly for some people.


  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭ paulos53


    Castlemartyr is €1200 but there are also intermediate rates

    €450 for 18-24 year olds
    €650 for 25-30 year olds

    There is a joining fee also. I am not sure what that currently is but probably in the range of €1000 - €2000


  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Soundshkin


    I know Muskerry is €1400, not quite the location you’re looking for.

    And Douglas is upwards of €9000, I guess that’s where you’re leaving? Their application process for next year is now closed.

    I think Cobh, mentioned above, has a nice balance of affordability and a decent course. It’s a bit hilly for some people.

    Thanks a million for the replies, all very helpful so thanks very much.

    Ya it is Douglas I am leaving. Can't justify that amount of money for golf really at this time even though it is within walking distance. The joining fee plus the annual fee would put you North of 10k for golf for the year.

    I have been looking at Cobh. Heard only good things about it and that seems a very reasonable price. I played at Mahon for quite a few years as a teenager and enjoyed it also but they are not taking any more members from what I have heard as well.

    Muskerry is another good option I think they have a deal for u35s also which I am surprised not every club does. 25-35 seems to be the age a lot of golf clubs say they can't keep members at, probably due to saving for houses and kids etc but only some clubs seem to make an effort to keep them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Southern Comfort


    If you have been a student member in Douglas for a number of years, I believe you would not have to pay the full €9k joining fee.

    Also, you could opt to pay whatever the joining fee is over 5 or 6 years.

    Have you checked that out?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭ Miley Byrne


    Soundshkin wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the replies, all very helpful so thanks very much.
    Ya it is Douglas I am leaving. Can't justify that amount of money for golf really at this time even though it is within walking distance. The joining fee plus the annual fee would put you North of 10k for golf for the year.

    If I was within walking distance of Douglas then I would do all in my power to make it work to stay a member there. It's a class golf course and if you can justify it at all then try to make it happen. Most courses in Cork would be a major step down from Douglas.......Old Head, Fota and Cork probably the only exceptions.

    As Southern Comfort says, check it out as you may not have to pay the €9k in full.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭ bailey99


    If I was within walking distance of Douglas then I would do all in my power to make it work to stay a member there. It's a class golf course and if you can justify it at all then try to make it happen. Most courses in Cork would be a major step down from Douglas.......Old Head, Fota and Cork probably the only exceptions.

    As Southern Comfort says, check it out as you may not have to pay the €9k in full.

    I think you are a bit over zealous in your appraisal of Douglas. Cork is very poorly served by golf courses considering its size.


  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ phelimb


    Wow - I'm shocked you still have to pay the full entrance fee after being a member for some years even if it was a student but still - 9K, WOW!

    Anyway, not where you are looking for but Kinsale (and not the Old Head) have Intermediate membership of just under 900 - no joining fee I believe.

    On a side note, played Douglas many times in the past and really enjoyed the course.....but I got kicked out of the clubhouse after playing a round in an open competition years ago for not wearing the appropriate attire (clothes had got soaked out on the course and I put on a dry non-conforming jumper going into the bar) and was refused service and told to leave. Never went back after that but I'm sure things are different now :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭ Miley Byrne


    bailey99 wrote: »
    I think you are a bit over zealous in your appraisal of Douglas. Cork is very poorly served by golf courses considering its size.

    So by that logic there are better courses in the area? Which ones?


  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Southern Comfort


    phelimb wrote: »
    Wow - I'm shocked you still have to pay the full entrance fee after being a member for some years even if it was a student but still - 9K, WOW!

    No need to be shocked........

    He wouldn't have to pay the full amount. I have many friends in Douglas G.C. There's a sliding scale, I believe.

    If the OP had joined as a Juvenile, at the age of 12 for example, his signing on fee would only be 10% of the current joining fee, so he'd only pay €900.

    I imagine that he would still pay considerably less than the full €9k fee if he has been a Student member for 4 years.

    It appears he doesn't know that and, unfortunately, he hasn't been on here since Nov. 14th.......


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭ bailey99


    So by that logic there are better courses in the area? Which ones?

    Cork as a county has very poor courses compared to Kerry, Donegal, Wicklow. Wicklow has the best range of courses in Ireland in my opinion.

    In cork, better than Douglas, I'd have cork, fota, castlemartyr, lee valley, mallow.....will I go on?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭ Miley Byrne


    bailey99 wrote: »
    Cork as a county has very poor courses compared to Kerry, Donegal, Wicklow. Wicklow has the best range of courses in Ireland in my opinion.

    In cork, better than Douglas, I'd have cork, fota, castlemartyr, lee valley, mallow.....will I go on?

    You will see in my original post I said Fota and Cork would be superior. But Mallow? Are you actually serious. By no metric whatsoever is Mallow even in the same conversation as Douglas. Actually that's a fair insult to Douglas.

    Neither is Castlemartyr really, good course but a level below Douglas

    (I'm not a member of either but have played both a fair bit by the way)


  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ moycullen14


    You will see in my original post I said Fota and Cork would be superior. But Mallow? Are you actually serious. By no metric whatsoever is Mallow even in the same conversation as Douglas. Actually that's a fair insult to Douglas.

    Neither is Castlemartyr really, good course but a level below Douglas

    (I'm not a member of either but have played both a fair bit by the way)

    The original point - that Cork has very few high end courses - is valid. Amazing really considering the size of the country and the coast line. No links at all (dont start on the old head).

    Douglas is a fine course but its all down to supply and demand. What douglas has, in spades, is location. Its practically in the city.

    Where does it rank in the county? Hard to say. Little island is a cracking course - well, half of it is. So is fota. Beyond that, its hard to judge.

    As an aside, anyone i know that's a member of douglas is delighted with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ Deporhostia


    Unbiased view here, not a member anywhere.

    What Douglas has going for it are:
    great location
    Excellent conditioning, especially in winter
    Superb practice facilities
    Supposedly it’s a great place to be a member of, social-wise, judging by comments from members I know

    However I have to agree that the course layout itself wouldn’t be quite as interesting as you’d hope. I would say the only holes I would get excited about playing are hole 8 (approach), hole 10 (approach), hole 12, 15, 16 and 17.

    On a par with Mallow, Muskerry and behind Lee Valley for me in this regard. Well behind Castlemartyr in my opinion.

    Hopefully the OP realises he may be able to reduce the joining fee.


  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ phelimb


    Where does it rank in the county? Hard to say. Little island is a cracking course - well, half of it is. So is fota. Beyond that, its hard to judge.

    Tend to agree with this - Little Island/Cork GC would be my #1, followed by Fota (original 18) at #2...after that it's a toss up between maybe 4 or 5 other courses....


  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Southern Comfort


    I also think Cork G.C. is the best course in the Cork area and is definitely my favourite. I try to play it a few times every year to treat myself. I prefer it to Fota which is always a great day out as well.

    But as an overall package, I don't think Douglas can be beaten.

    As Deporhostia said, it's location is ideal, the new practice facilities are great, the course is always in great condition, the social scene there is very lively and their span-new clubhouse is one of the finest in the country.


  • Registered Users Posts: 517 benji79


    Douglas is nice but behind Cork, Fota, castlemartyr, lee valley in my opinion

    On a par with the likes of Muskerry, mallow. I’d even throw Bandon into the bracket


  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ IHateNewShoes


    While not a great option for the OP due to distance (Maybe Blarney) but I think Blarney and Bantry are 2 great courses in Cork County that are both underrated.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭ slingerz


    I would think Fota’s deerpark course would be No. 1 in Cork. Cork GC second. After that I’d have Lee Valley then Bandon. After that Douglas, Muskerry, Mallow, Monkstown all similar. Mitchelstown and Fermoy are good courses without the resources the others have.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭ Miley Byrne


    slingerz wrote: »
    I would think Fota’s deerpark course would be No. 1 in Cork. Cork GC second. After that I’d have Lee Valley then Bandon. After that Douglas, Muskerry, Mallow, Monkstown all similar. Mitchelstown and Fermoy are good courses without the resources the others have.

    I would have Cork first, then Fota, then Douglas, then Castlemartyr. After that it is much of a muchness. Maybe Bandon, Bantry and Lee Valley in the next category


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Southern Comfort


    Would you put Monkstown into the mix? I never really look forward to playing there but I always enjoy it when I do. I played there in September and it was in excellent condition.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭ bailey99


    Would you put Monkstown into the mix? I never really look forward to playing there but I always enjoy it when I do. I played there in September and it was in excellent condition.

    Monkstown is a championship course isn't it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭ Miley Byrne


    Would you put Monkstown into the mix? I never really look forward to playing there but I always enjoy it when I do. I played there in September and it was in excellent condition.

    Yeah Monkstown would be on a level with Bandon, Bantry, Lee Valley. Nice course actually


  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Southern Comfort


    bailey99 wrote: »
    Monkstown is a championship course isn't it?

    Yes, it is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Soundshkin


    No need to be shocked........

    He wouldn't have to pay the full amount. I have many friends in Douglas G.C. There's a sliding scale, I believe.

    If the OP had joined as a Juvenile, at the age of 12 for example, his signing on fee would only be 10% of the current joining fee, so he'd only pay €900.

    I imagine that he would still pay considerably less than the full €9k fee if he has been a Student member for 4 years.

    It appears he doesn't know that and, unfortunately, he hasn't been on here since Nov. 14th.......

    Yes sorry I had not been on to reply but again thanks a million for all the replies.

    Ideally I would like to stay at Douglas obviously with it being so close and having developed quite a number of friendships with people up there. I haven't received official notification for next year's fees yet ( we don't receive that till January) but the guys I was playing in the competitions before lockdown with were adamant that I would be paying the full fee or near enough to the full fee anyway.

    Other friends of mine that have been playing since 12 would have to only pay the 900 they know that for certain alright so it would be handy if there was a sliding scale as if it was roughly 10% a year that's obviously a massive decrease but all will be revealed come January as regards to that.

    Once this lockdown ends and courses are back open I'll try and play a few rounds at a couple of courses to see my options too though in case the fee is too steep and I am forced to look elsewhere.


  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Southern Comfort


    I'm glad you came back to us.... :)

    You'll only know how much you'd have to pay if you ring the office in D.G.C. Your friends can only speculate on the amount really. And you don't have to wait until January to make the enquiry.

    It would be a shame if you joined another club a distance from your home, only to discover, too late, that you could have joined Douglas for less that you expected........

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    Please come back and let us know how things worked out for you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭ ShivasIrons


    Soundshkin wrote: »
    Yes sorry I had not been on to reply but again thanks a million for all the replies.

    Ideally I would like to stay at Douglas obviously with it being so close and having developed quite a number of friendships with people up there. I haven't received official notification for next year's fees yet ( we don't receive that till January) but the guys I was playing in the competitions before lockdown with were adamant that I would be paying the full fee or near enough to the full fee anyway.

    Other friends of mine that have been playing since 12 would have to only pay the 900 they know that for certain alright so it would be handy if there was a sliding scale as if it was roughly 10% a year that's obviously a massive decrease but all will be revealed come January as regards to that.

    Once this lockdown ends and courses are back open I'll try and play a few rounds at a couple of courses to see my options too though in case the fee is too steep and I am forced to look elsewhere.


    Here's an idea, why don't you just speak directly with the manager in Douglas? Eliminate hearsay and conjecture and get the facts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ concretet0m


    Why does it need to be like this? Why can’t it be clear and transparent? Im my early 30s and moved to cork last year and wanted to pick a course but I didn’t even consider Douglas because of the whole smoke and hazy ness around what the fees would be. I assumed they are going for the whole exclusiveness, “if you have to ask you can’t afford us” kind of vibe.


  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Southern Comfort


    Why does it need to be like this? Why can’t it be clear and transparent? Im my early 30s and moved to cork last year and wanted to pick a course but I didn’t even consider Douglas because of the whole smoke and hazy ness around what the fees would be. I assumed they are going for the whole exclusiveness, “if you have to ask you can’t afford us” kind of vibe.

    What do you mean by "Why does it need to be like this?"

    It's totally clear and transparent. Two of my friends joined Douglas last year. They enquired about the cost and were told how much it was immediately. (I believe it was €8,500 single payment or €9,000 over 5 or 6 years). There was no "smoke and hazy ness around what the fees would be." I'm pretty sure that you would have been told the same, had you bothered to ask. I believe that everyone who applied for membership was accepted.

    I played there with the 2 of them a few times and they absolutely love it.

    To be honest, I think that your final sentence, "I assumed they are going for the whole exclusiveness, “if you have to ask you can’t afford us” kind of vibe," says more about you than it does about Douglas Golf Club...............


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ normanbond


    Soundshkin wrote: »
    Hi All,

    I am currently looking to join a golf club in the Cork area (Cork city / East cork preferably) as I am finished in the student category(was €360 a year) in my current club (which I was a member of for 4 years) and the entrance fee(9k) is a bit much to join as a full member now on top of the annual fee.

    I have been trying to get in touch over the last couple of months with most clubs to see any offers available but most have not replied, presumably due to the quantity of people after taking up golf membership this year.

    I was hoping that some members here might have information for me as to the price of membership at some of the clubs in Cork and whether they are accepting new members. I know this topic has been raised previously but I cant find any information on here about this topic that isn't ~10 years old.

    Thanks a million for any replies

    Am in a sorta similar position in that I’m looking to join a golf club in Cork.
    Has anyone got details on other clubs, what are the fees (yearly and if any joining fee)?
    Tnx


Advertisement