Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your fitness purchases

Options
  • 10-11-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

A thread to share your recent Fitness purchases. Lots of people will be keen to get ideas on Home workout equipment and upcoming bargains with Black Friday.

Today I ordered some Protein powder from PHD. Lemon Drizzle flavour wouldn't be for everyone but it works for what I use it for - Yogurt, oats, and shakes. Lots of extra freebies for a good price.

Taken from the below thread. I used the trick mentioned in the post at the bottom to get the free 5 bar variety pack.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/phd-lemon-drizzle-smart-protein-ps699-3582592

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I only ever use whey in greek yoghurt. Nom.

Bought two 30kg dumbbells.

That's pretty much it. Haven't ordered all of the things like last lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I got a bike on the B2W scheme last month, with the aim of doing about 15-20k per day I'm not going to the gym, incl school run and local trips that I'd normally drive, so far so good on that front.

Not a purchase, but my brother in law dropped in a box full of small dumbbells and removeable weight plates last week, so I'll start a small regime with those too - there's no long bar or bench so it will be pretty basic.

Actually if anyone could advise me there I'd be grateful.

and I'll just continue on with my eating plan (no intermittent fasting), all of which have been working ok for me so far, I'm only 8 or 9 weeks in to my getting serious about weight loss and I think I'll hit 10kg this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apocalypse3

Yesterday I bought hit fitness olympic 7" barbell for 236 euros;

Not sure if beneficial as, I am on weight loss journey, went from 101.9KG to 84.1KG, we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I got a bike on the B2W scheme last month, with the aim of doing about 15-20k per day I'm not going to the gym, incl school run and local trips that I'd normally drive, so far so good on that front.

Not a purchase, but my brother in law dropped in a box full of small dumbbells and removeable weight plates last week, so I'll start a small regime with those too - there's no long bar or bench so it will be pretty basic.

Actually if anyone could advise me there I'd be grateful.

and I'll just continue on with my eating plan (no intermittent fasting), all of which have been working ok for me so far, I'm only 8 or 9 weeks in to my getting serious about weight loss and I think I'll hit 10kg this week.

It may be worth having a look on Done Deal or Adverts for Barbells and a Bench. They are selling at significant premiums at the moment. Lots of the online stores are either out of stock or on significant wait times for back orders.

Example here https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=barbell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

unfortunately, circumstances at the moment don't allow for any kind of outlay.

I have what I have

thanks for the suggestion though :)

• Advertisement

I don't have a bench or bar either but can get a decently effective lockdown workout with bands and a single pair of dumbbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Not recent, but last lockdown I bought a pair of rings, which I'd highly recommend if you don't have weights. The variety of exercises you can do with them is phenomenal. Last I checked they were available on D8 Fitness website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I bought a mat this lockdown - exciting :D

Doing pushups on the carpet gets annoying (1st world problem) but it's actually handy to have for €20 for future use too, and might even tempt me into some ab and mobility work at some point.

Plus if I stick it in view on zoom calls people think I'm virtuous and do yoga. Win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I got a Bullworker (36" Bow Classic) in early lockdown because I wanted to 'muscle up' my upper body - in particular to counteract possible loose skin from very significant weight loss (approx 50lbs at the time, about 100 now) plus who doesn't want to look toned anyway? It's a resistance training contraption which replaces lifting weights with pressing springs for a similar net effect. Got it on Amazon at a time when gyms closed and weights not to be found for love nor money - it's not there currently but I suspect it's simply sold out due to so many people working out at home.

Now, if you look around you'll see a lot of people dismissing it as a fad (even though it's around since the 60s!), and I don't claim that better results may not have been attained with access to full gym equipment.......but I'm happy with my results! Biceps and shoulders in particular look pretty damn respectable (if I say so myself) and I'm actually looking forward to getting my top off at the beach / pool on holiday whenever this Covid crap ends - and that was something I used to dread and do for as short a time as possible when I was heavier.

I haven't really used it for my legs - I run a lot now and fortunately kept the leg muscles from my former 300lb frame in the slimmed down 200lb version so I get to skip 'leg day'! I use the Bullworker 3 days a week (sometimes 2) for about 25 minutes a go so it's not a huge time investment. It's pretty compact too - comes in a bag which also carries all the springs which can be stuck in a corner somewhere, and certainly takes up far less space than a set of weights. And while a proper gym routine may produce better eventual results (or maybe not - I don't know), I suspect many of the people posting on this forum wouldn't exactly look forward to using a gym (I certainly wouldn't) so the Bullworker is a very handy solution.

I got a Bullworker (36" Bow Classic) in early lockdown because I wanted to 'muscle up' my upper body - in particular to counteract possible loose skin from very significant weight loss (approx 50lbs at the time, about 100 now) plus who doesn't want to look toned anyway? It's a resistance training contraption which replaces lifting weights with pressing springs for a similar net effect. Got it on Amazon at a time when gyms closed and weights not to be found for love nor money - it's not there currently but I suspect it's simply sold out due to so many people working out at home.

Now, if you look around you'll see a lot of people dismissing it as a fad (even though it's around since the 60s!), and I don't claim that better results may not have been attained with access to full gym equipment.......but I'm happy with my results! Biceps and shoulders in particular look pretty damn respectable (if I say so myself) and I'm actually looking forward to getting my top off at the beach / pool on holiday whenever this Covid crap ends - and that was something I used to dread and do for as short a time as possible when I was heavier.

I haven't really used it for my legs - I run a lot now and fortunately kept the leg muscles from my former 300lb frame in the slimmed down 200lb version so I get to skip 'leg day'! I use the Bullworker 3 days a week (sometimes 2) for about 25 minutes a go so it's not a huge time investment. It's pretty compact too - comes in a bag which also carries all the springs which can be stuck in a corner somewhere, and certainly takes up far less space than a set of weights. And while a proper gym routine may produce better eventual results (or maybe not - I don't know), I suspect many of the people posting on this forum wouldn't exactly look forward to using a gym (I certainly wouldn't) so the Bullworker is a very handy solution.

Just to offer an alternative - Something like the below will do the job for a fraction of the price - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starwood-Sports-Resistance-Crossfit-Powerlifting/dp/B08DVC26KT/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=FldC2e1sttIx-DM.Q5qzIw&hsa_cr_id=2741109480202&pd_rd_r=12b6d1db-4dc2-4fcf-8eed-eaa9141a1397&pd_rd_w=eWr0O&pd_rd_wg=ALGkM&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img

• Advertisement

Patsy167 wrote: »

Be wary of some of the bands online. Got some mini-bands that were nowhere near the quality or resistance of the D8 Fitness mini bands, for example.

But I would concur that good resistance bands will allow you to do a lot of exercises and get a good workout. Have a red, purple, green and orange one.

Don't sell yourself short on how you achieved the results. Almost any piece of equipment/workout routine can be effective. It's the user that matters. It's your own honest hard-work, discipline, and consistency that got you the results, not the bull-worker!

Black Friday week is always a good time to restock on protein powders on either BulkPowders or MyProtein. Had a quick look on MyProtein and the 5kg is coming in at €47.70. My rule of thumb when ordering the 5kg bag is to order when ~€10/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I lost the run of myself

Squat rack
    New J hooks
    Olympic Barbell
    260kg of Olympic plates
    A bench
    2 large rubber mats 40kg each
    Landmine swivel bar holder
    Viking press handle for barbell
    Pulley system for lat pulldown/tricep push downs
    T bar row handle for barbell
    Wall hung Plate holder x 8
    Rope attachment for cable pulley
    A few other cable attachments.
    Wrist roller bar thingy for forearm development

Last year I bought

Adjustable bench
    Adjustable dumbbells 5-40 kg

And have a curl bar with vinyl weights since I was a kid. Still using that.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I lost the run of myself

Squat rack
    New J hooks
    Olympic Barbell
    260kg of Olympic plates
    A bench

Last year I bought

Adjustable bench

Wow! That is some setup. Is it purpose built garage/set-up? You could charge membership with that offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I lost the run of myself

Squat rack
    New J hooks
    Olympic Barbell
    260kg of Olympic plates
    A bench

Last year I bought

Adjustable bench

Green right now with envy.

Last lockdown I bought a set of adjustable dumbbells. Not really heavy enough for leg work but could get by. Already had a set of resistance bands.

This lock down I bought more bands.

Im thinking of investing in a bike for spin at home. Drowning in info

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Wow! That is some setup. Is it purpose built garage/set-up? You could charge membership with that offering.

Some lucky sod will get it when he dies trying to copy Larry Wheels

Advertisement