Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm 10 stone, 5 foot 9 and l live 25 miles away. My baby is 7 lb 8 oz

Options
  • 07-11-2020 11:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

FFS the amount of people under 40 still using these ridiculous antiquated units baffles me.

Christ. Metric is so much more reliable and logical.

My local butcher advertises by the lb, not kg.

My local carpet shop advertises by the square yard not m2.

Car dealers advertise by mpg not l/100km. Jesus. Fuel is sold by the litre here and road signs are in km.

Midwives automatically say baby's weight in lb/Oz instead of kg.

Grandpa Simpson reference out of the way early.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

People are slow to adapt to change .. shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can you show me a metre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

If I was five foot nine and ten stone I wouldnt be going around mouthing off to midwives never mind butchers.

Use the litre wine bottle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I'm 10 stone, 5 foot 9 and l live 25 miles away. My baby is 7 lb 8 oz. and there's a bear outside the door.....what colour is the bear?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Most funny when go to buy some wood that's advertised and sold as twobyfour but actually measures 50 x 100 mm :D

And the next time round in the woodshop, having learned your lesson, you look and ask for 50 x 100 and they only real 2 by 4 ...which of course doesn't fit what you planned using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd murder a few 568 millilitres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

FFS the amount of people under 40 still using these ridiculous antiquated units baffles me.

Christ. Metric is so much more reliable and logical.

My local butcher advertises by the lb, not kg.

My local carpet shop advertises by the square yard not m2.

Car dealers advertise by mpg not l/100km. Jesus. Fuel is sold by the litre here and road signs are in km.

Midwives automatically say baby's weight in lb/Oz instead of kg.

Grandpa Simpson reference out of the way early.

The woke is strong with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not sure how to express it in metric, but I couldn’t give the short half of a shiny Shute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Hot single mothers in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Flooring shops stick to sq yards as the headline rate looks alittle better. If one shop started putting prices in sqm, people would just look at the advertised figure and think it was dearer than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm 5'8 and 92kg :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I grew up as a child in the 70's during the changeover and so still use both to some degree, and odd to myself... I think in metres and millimetres on the one hand, but revert to inches and feet either side of that. One thing just in my humble mind that's missing from metric is the foot. It's a handy human sized measurement that's been around in some form for millennia(the cubit varied but was usually just over a foot, or the length of a forearm) and there's a gap in metric at that size level IMHO. A third of a metre(mixing again there :D) doesn't cut it. I could drop inches for centimetres handily enough though. I would usually think in litres and rarely enough in fractions and the imperial nonsense at the sub inch scale of eleventy thousands of an inch I could not be dealing with. Centigrade goes without saying really. Height and weight in people I'd still be imperial all the way. I have zero idea what I weigh in kgs, though in fairness I've zero idea what I weigh in stones either so...

I tend to still think in miles as many people do and I reckon that's down to the fact that the kilometre on signs and speedos officially came to Ireland quite recently. 2006 IIRC? So for most unless driving an imported Japanese car say, they'd be thinking in miles and miles per gallon up to fifteen years ago. l/100km and KPH is quite "new". Hell I've been driving Jap imports since the 90's and still do the translation in my head to some degree. Certainly with MPG. I've only recently even worked out what my jalopy does in metric and that was only because of a phone app that talks to my car's ECU with GPS in the mix. Than again I'm a middle aged fart, so there's that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Damn, thought this was going to be a riddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think we should bring back the imperial measurements for everyday ordinary stuff just for the sake of being different to the dullards in mainland Europe. The lab coat crowd can stick to metric though, wouldn't even attempt converting those boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I am always going to convert 30 cm to 1 foot in my head and divide your kilometres by 8 only to multiply them then by 5 to understand where I am. And my babies will always have been whopping 10 pounders. A whopping 4 and a half kilo-er? Come on, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wibbs wrote: »
    I grew up as a child in the 70's during the changeover and so still use both to some degree, and odd to myself... I think in metres and millimetres on the one hand, but revert to inches and feet either side of that. One thing just in my humble mind that's missing from metric is the foot. It's a handy human sized measurement that's been around in some form for millennia(the cubit varied but was usually just over a foot, or the length of a forearm) and there's a gap in metric at that size level IMHO. A third of a metre(mixing again there :D) doesn't cut it. I could drop inches for centimetres handily enough though. I would usually think in litres and rarely enough in fractions and the imperial nonsense at the sub inch scale of eleventy thousands of an inch I could not be dealing with. Centigrade goes without saying really. Height and weight in people I'd still be imperial all the way. I have zero idea what I weigh in kgs, though in fairness I've zero idea what I weigh in stones either so...

I tend to still think in miles as many people do and I reckon that's down to the fact that the kilometre on signs and speedos officially came to Ireland quite recently. 2006 IIRC? So for most unless driving an imported Japanese car say, they'd be thinking in miles and miles per gallon up to fifteen years ago. l/100km and KPH is quite "new". Hell I've been driving Jap imports since the 90's and still do the translation in my head to some degree. Certainly with MPG. I've only recently even worked out what my jalopy does in metric and that was only because of a phone app that talks to my car's ECU with GPS in the mix. Than again I'm a middle aged fart, so there's that.

I was born the year we changed to metric (I think) so, like you I was educated in metric but the world around still operated in imperial measures. The upshot of that is I have no clue how to assess or estimate anything in either. I use metric for liquid handy enough but dont ask me anything else. Big/small and near/far are as accurate as I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wibbs wrote: »
    One thing just in my humble mind that's missing from metric is the foot. It's a handy human sized measurement that's been around in some form for millennia(the cubit varied but was usually just over a foot, or the length of a forearm) and there's a gap in metric at that size level IMHO. A third of a metre(mixing again there :D) doesn't cut it..

I was coming in here to post that very thing!

I use metric for everything but will still use feet to measure distances. A metre is just not relatable. As you said, people for millennia have been using sizes relatable to the human body to measure things, aka the cubit.

It's especially evident when measuring height. I'm 5'10 .. which is 1.8 metres. How does a brain even begin to visualise 1.8 metres? You need a measurement between M and CM.

Rather hilariously, I remember having an interaction with someone about this before who was convinced a 'foot' was a stupid measurement, not relatable and a metre was the default proper measurement.

The following ensued:

Me: 'Okay then, how do you visualise a metre?'

Them: 'I dunno, three wooden rulers?'

Me (trying not to let the cat out of the bag): 'how long is a wooden ruler?'

Them: '30cm'

me: 'How long is a foot?'

Them: 'I dunno..?'

Me: THIRTY ****ING CENTIMETERS!

...okay so it's 30.48cm but you get my point :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You're not been on this site furlong OP. We've discussed this dozens of times. Indeed Bakers Dozens of times. In fact if I had a guinea for every time I'd be worth £180 8s 6d plus that ha'penny I've stashed under the stone

• Advertisement

While we are all probably somewhat guilty of using both metric and imperial depending on what we are measuring, I certainly do - human weight and height is imperial for me. Most other things are metric, most of the time.

But why, oh why would anyone in the world use a scale that has water freezing at 32 degrees and boiling at 212 degrees? That's just stupid!
    Oh, and -40f is the same as -40c!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What's going to happen in Brexitland, they use actual metric sizes, for plumbing fittings, and doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

I had a great imperial/ metric converter, but someone 1.25 centimetered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes. Je deteste imperial measures. I weigh myself in kg and am coming around to height in CMs because dating apps use it. It could be worse, we could be the UK, or worse the USA with their fluid ounces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Yes. Je deteste imperial measures. I weigh myself in kg and am coming around to height in CMs because dating apps use it. It could be worse, we could be the UK, or worse the USA with their fluid ounces.

Speaking of fluid ounces. I found out US and UK ones are different measurements. So much for the states breaking away from their overlords :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's especially evident when measuring height. I'm 5'10 .. which is 1.8 metres. How does a brain even begin to visualise 1.8 metres? You need a measurement between M and CM.
    Exactly. The metric system can get very confusing if its used on dating sites. I just assume I'm too short. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Hah! I think I'm one of those who moaned about this before, maybe 5-6 years ago. It still pisses me off.
    But I do know a few 30 year olds who haven't a clue what a foot is or a mile. Maybe two generations down the road we'll be all using the one 'metric'.
    House size that is quoted in square feet really takes the biscuit. I cannot visualise it at all. Just a blank.
    And people give their weight in pounds!!:confused:
    For the metrically minded, we half it and round down a bit for a rough idea.
    But if you think in stones, trying to divide by 14 in your head is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Wait till you get into building supplies, I was shopping for perspex sheets, they come in 1 meter width and the lengths are feet, the ones I got are 1m x 10ft

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Allinall wrote: »
    I had a great imperial/ metric converter, but someone 1.25 centimetered it.

Someone half-iched it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Someone half-iched it? :confused:

It was a tea leaf.

Advertisement