Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three launching 5g broadband on Monday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Darc19 wrote: »
    Where I work we are business customers. But I would be a contact for three.

Never got the chance to call him back due to other priorities, so hopefully sort it this Monday.

The plan I was sent is targeted to domestic users as prices included vat. All business pricing is ex vat

Thanks, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The Cush wrote: »
    I never indicated that the 700 MHz band was a capacity band, as I said in my post "this will change once they eventually rollout 5G in the 700 MHz coverage band", in reply to the previous post that said "5G will never be country wide, it won't even be city wide". No mention of capacity in either post, only coverage.

See my later post that evening where I discuss the 26 GHz and 3.6 GHz capacity bands and the 700 MHz coverage band - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115228403#post115228403
    Apologies, I missed where you mentioned coverage (not Capacity); you're correct.
    The 800 MHz band is in full use for 4G LTE, so no available capacity for new 5G services and there will be no overnight switchover from 4G to 5G, hence the requirement for new low frequency spectrum in the 700 MHz band.
    And we still operate 2G voice and low-speed data services in the 900MHz and 1.8GHz bands, 3G in the 900 and 1.9/2.1GHz bands and 4G in the 800MHz and 1.8HGz bands - some of those legacy technologies should be sunset. Some countries moved to shut down legacy 2G networks, another suggestion I read was to shut down 3G and keep 2G for voice-only capacity but I believe that shunting voice over to 4G (VoLTE) with offloading to WiFi would let both 2G and 3G networks be sunset, gifting the 5G networks with reusable 2.1GHz spectrum for urban areas and 800MHz or 900MHz for coverage depending on requirements.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps because other operators (e.g. Eir, Vodafone and Virgin) are in a position to offer a seamless WiFi/4G/5G experience: WiFi when at home or visiting a friend, 4G/5G when out and about; 3 feel the need to push 5G coverage into more places to compete?

Either way I welcome the news, though I still feel they should 'walk' before they 'run' and fix other issues they've not addressed to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Perhaps because other operators (e.g. Eir, Vodafone and Virgin) are in a position to offer a seamless WiFi/4G/5G experience: WiFi when at home or visiting a friend, 4G/5G when out and about; 3 feel the need to push 5G coverage into more places to compete?

Either way I welcome the news, though I still feel they should 'walk' before they 'run' and fix other issues they've not addressed to my knowledge.

This doesnt make any sense as Virgin are an MVNO and operate on 3's network.

If we sunset 3G then 3's customers would be in total blackspots all over the place as they don't have any real 2G footprint (what they have is ex 02). Never going to happen. Dropping 2G is feasible and likely depending on when the next license expiry is @Cush?

Also 3s 5G is NSA so its not "competing" its just an add on to their 4G footprint. Doesnt add anything bar a little data capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    Dropping 2G is feasible and likely depending on when the next license expiry is @Cush?

The 800/900/1800 MHz liberalised licences expire Jul 2030.

As they are liberalised licences theoretically I suppose they could switch off 2G whenever it suits them but realistically Comreg would have to have an input so that 2G voice subscribers are not left without a service.
    Also 3s 5G is NSA so its not "competing" its just an add on to their 4G footprint. Doesnt add anything bar a little data capacity.

Is 5G SA in any way near ready as standard? Could it be an option for the rollout of 700 MHz 5G here next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is 5G SA in any way near ready as standard? Could it be an option for the rollout of 700 MHz 5G here next year?

Nope, everywhere is doing NSA for the foreseeable I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

This doesnt make any sense as Virgin are an MVNO and operate on 3's network.
    Virgin being an MVNO is irrelevant, the key point is they operate a fixed-line broadband service as do Eir and Vodafone.

Eir and Virgin both operate a network of commercial WiFi hotspots and sharing of customers bandwidth via 'eir_WiFi' and 'Horizon Wi-Free'. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to capitalise on this in a way that was actually secure and gave their customers a nice bonus.
    If we sunset 3G then 3's customers would be in total blackspots all over the place as they don't have any real 2G footprint (what they have is ex 02). Never going to happen. Dropping 2G is feasible and likely depending on when the next license expiry is @Cush?
    In the US and Australia, the 2G networks have been shut-down and plans are to shutdown the 2G networks in Germany in 2021; when I had read up on this to find any plans in Europe, it was floated that using 2G for voice-only backhaul while sunsetting 3G in favour of expanding LTE coverage was seen as the more likely approach. As far as I know there was no edict from Government to sunset 2G, the networks opted to decommission their legacy networks in the way that Bell Canada and Telus decommissioned their outdated CDMA networks.

Will be interested in hearing from anyone using 3 (or any network's 5G service) what the experience is like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Sooooo...anyone try out the Three 5G broadband service yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I'm getting 600mbps down and 1000-1200mbps down outdoors on Three 5G on my iPhone.

I'm considering going for the Three 5G mobile broadband - is the speed capped for the mobile broadband in anyones experience? I'm seeing a maximum of 150 Mbps on the actual contract but I'm wondering has anyone tested this and achieved better speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is there a coverage map up yet of live areas / planned? How strong coverage is etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

joe123 wrote: »
    Is there a coverage map up yet of live areas / planned? How strong coverage is etc?

https://www.three.ie/coverage-checker/

• Advertisement
Advertisement