Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed for remote office

Options
  • 06-11-2020 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Could anyone recommend a timber shed installer who can construct a domestic remote office on a budget?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

patrafter7 wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a timber shed installer who can construct a domestic remote office on a budget?

Thanks

Probably a good idea to check the local building ordinance before you start. In particular rules relating to size and purpose of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Probably a good idea to check the local building ordinance before you start. In particular rules relating to size and purpose of use.

Your bog standard shed does not need planning permission or anything like that. Even if you were to run electric to it.

The only thing the OP says is that its on a budget.....sheds are not cheap that you want to run as a home office. Insulation, heat and light, and a degree of comfort. Something the size of a prison cell won't be good for the mental health.

Do you want to be sitting in a wooden shed when its cold, lashing rain outside and you can feel the elements at the same time?

But in my experience you would be looking at somewhere in the €3-4k range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know a few people who have got a concrete base and metal shed installed as a stop gap. A normal garden shed is a bit too damp and cold to use as an office.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your bog standard shed does not need planning permission or anything like that. Even if you were to run electric to it.

Yes, but we're not talking about a bog standard shed used to store tools etc...

Making sure you know exactly that is allowed would be prudent before splashing out on it.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Yes, but we're not talking about a bog standard shed used to store tools etc...

Making sure you know exactly that is allowed would be prudent before splashing out on it.

Its not a permanent structure. I think you are just looking to make it harder than it actually is.

https://www.gardenrooms.ie/planning-permission/

25msq is what is allowed without PP. But all this is a mute exercise when the OP says hes on a budget. Nothing about this is going to be cheap. Your bog standard shed with nothing is going to be €600ish, a steel shed €1000 upwards and as for getting them, well thats another story altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have a word with your employer about covering your costs. Surely they won't be expecting you to provide free space to them and furnish it and heat it at your own expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have a word with your employer about covering your costs. Surely they won't be expecting you to provide free space to them and furnish it and heat it at your own expense?

They'll likely just tell him/ her to keep using the kitchen table, and to speak to Revenue about claiming back extra costs.

They'll likely just tell him/ her to keep using the kitchen table, and to speak to Revenue about claiming back extra costs.

They may well do that, which would certainly create a liability for them for any musculoskeletal disorders that arise from not having a decent chair and a desk at the right height. It may also place responsiblity on the employer for any breaches of confidentiality and GDPR that arises from doing work in an area shared with non-employees.

Employers shouldn't be expecting to get office space for free from their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They may well do that, which would certainly create a liability for them for any musculoskeletal disorders that arise from not having a decent chair and a desk at the right height. It may also place responsiblity on the employer for any breaches of confidentiality and GDPR that arises from doing work in an area shared with non-employees.

Employers shouldn't be expecting to get office space for free from their employees.

True, but that's exactly what's happening.

Employers are seeing the benefit to them ($$$) and are making it a permanent thing without offering any support to employees (like it or lump it approach).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Simple- if WFH not possible, you go to the office.
    The employer is not responsible to buy you a garden shed office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Consider a 10x10 container office?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

where you based op?

https://www.loghouse.ie/product/arklow-log-cabin-3-4m-x-2-5m/

this would strike a good balance, based on the sound of what you are going for. Paint it yourself, you could just run a electrical extension out to it, really depends what your budget is etc...

€2,090.00
    AVAILABLE OPTIONS - Cabin assembly
    €380.00
    AVAILABLE OPTIONS - Timber frame & block foundation
    €280.00
    AVAILABLE OPTIONS - Upgrade to 35mm walls & living double glazing
    €350.00
    AVAILABLE OPTIONS - Roof insulation
    €260.00
    AVAILABLE OPTIONS - Add gutters & down pipes
    €220.00
    Subtotal €3,580.00 inc. VAT

they are the essential options in my opinion. Few hundred for paint, electrics another good few hundred if they connect it to the board in house...

or this, for 3k... I am assuming that is something striking a balance between reasonable to work from and cost effective...

https://www.eco-home.ie/product/garden-log-cabin-edith-3x2m/

usually two outers walls are not exposed. I would just put warmboard on the outside , fixed to the cabin by screw and washer and tape the joints. then put in infrared heater close to you...

For some employers, including my own, there is no option to go into the office, and no time scale for when this will be possible.

So they only option on the table is a substantial change in working conditions, imposed not negotiated.

That's not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Health and safety doesn't end when WFH due to government regulations

The employer is responsible to ensure that their employee has a safe working environment, a kitchen table and chair is not a safe workplace for the majority of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Work colleague bought a 8x6 wooden shed, think it cost around 400, spend a couple of hundred on insulation and sheeting out the inside, added ventilation and an electric heater, he's very happy with it.
    Be careful with the roof, a lot of the wooden sheds have a metal roof and when it rains its very loud, not very professional when on a call or zoom meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when you lads say a shed, does it have any windows etc, there would be nothing worse than being like a prisoner with no natural light in a tiny space!!!

JDxtra wrote: »
    True, but that's exactly what's happening.

Employers are seeing the benefit to them ($$$) and are making it a permanent thing without offering any support to employees (like it or lump it approach).

In fairness, some employers are being decent at least about furniture and fittings, whether allowing people to take chairs and monitors home, or giving an allowance for fit-out costs. I've heard of allowances from €300-€1000.

For me as a public servant, there is none of that. I took the monitors in March without asking, as others had done before me, as I wasn't going to spend months hunched over a laptop screen. I've lost what was the spare bedroom, so I can't even have a fight with the missus and go off and sulk now. I'm tripping over the start of the Xmas presents in the 'office' now. I've had to buy a desk and chair myself, and I'm faced with substantial extra heating costs over the winter. I've put on 7kgs in weight, mainly as a result of having unrestricted access to a well-stocked fridge all day.

It just isn't working for me, and for a minority of others. I see people hunched over the kitchen table, or stuck in a box room in a shared house for their entire day, workday and evening.

We were all prepared to be flexible in the emergency situation that arose, but we're well past emergency now. Employers need to provide office space for those staff for whom work-from-home doesn't work.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    when you lads say a shed, does it have any windows etc, there would be nothing worse than being like a prisoner with no natural light in a tiny space!!!

With window.
    If you are getting the shed from a shed maker, you can always get more or bigger windows. When I got my shed it came with 2 windows on one side, the guy did offer to put in more and if I supplied a pvc window or door, they would add it in too, there were a couple on donedeal for very cheap and kind of sorry I didn't take him up on the offer

In fairness, some employers are being decent at least about furniture and fittings, whether allowing people to take chairs and monitors home, or giving an allowance for fit-out costs. I've heard of allowances from €300-€1000.

For me as a public servant, there is none of that. I took the monitors in March without asking, as others had done before me, as I wasn't going to spend months hunched over a laptop screen. I've lost what was the spare bedroom, so I can't even have a fight with the missus and go off and sulk now. I'm tripping over the start of the Xmas presents in the 'office' now. I've had to buy a desk and chair myself, and I'm faced with substantial extra heating costs over the winter. I've put on 7kgs in weight, mainly as a result of having unrestricted access to a well-stocked fridge all day.

It just isn't working for me, and for a minority of others. I see people hunched over the kitchen table, or stuck in a box room in a shared house for their entire day, workday and evening.

We were all prepared to be flexible in the emergency situation that arose, but we're well past emergency now. Employers need to provide office space for those staff for whom work-from-home doesn't work.

I'm shocked you're a public servant...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

That's the nub of it. They can provide an office space: it is called office.
    Few hundred quid for a chair, desk, screens "should" be paid/provided by the employer when asked to WFH. Health and safety and all that.
    If you don't have space for it, no spare room, shared apartment etc., don't expect the employer to get you a bigger apartment or an office-shed for the garden.
    Of course, if access to the office is restricted/impossible, and you can't put a proper work space in your home, your options are limited.
    - sue your employer
    - change job
    good luck in each case. Harsh, but true.

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    I'm shocked you're a public servant...
    Some days, I'm shocked meself.
    That's the nub of it. They can provide an office space: it is called office.
    Few hundred quid for a chair, desk, screens "should" be paid/provided by the employer when asked to WFH. Health and safety and all that.
    If you don't have space for it, no spare room, shared apartment etc., don't expect the employer to get you a bigger apartment or an office-shed for the garden.
    Of course, if access to the office is restricted/impossible, and you can't put a proper work space in your home, your options are limited.
    - sue your employer
    - change job
    good luck in each case. Harsh, but true.

Harsh but untrue, actually.

There are other options.

There is the option of the collective power of the trade union movement working to ensure that their employees are not disadvantaged.

There is also the option of a Workplace Relations Commission formal complaint about the unilateral changes to the conditions of employment.

There is also the option of a formal complaint to the Health & Safety Authority of the employer's failure to provide a safe working environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

ETBs are providing lots of 'office comforts' for their "stay at home workers" incl.of laptops yet their frontline staff are "packed into tight spaces" with little escape and in many cases NO basic facilities such as laptops etc,........great life really if you can get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Some days, I'm shocked meself.

Harsh but untrue, actually.

There are other options.

There is the option of the collective power of the trade union movement working to ensure that their employees are not disadvantaged.

There is also the option of a Workplace Relations Commission formal complaint about the unilateral changes to the conditions of employment.

There is also the option of a formal complaint to the Health & Safety Authority of the employer's failure to provide a safe working environment.

It's ironic that the unionised jobs seem to have the worst employer care for their employees. I know another person working in a unionised company and they are getting nothing to protect themselves and they are front line, they don't supply any PPE or disenfranchised for the staff.

I work for a terrible multi national that doesn't allow unions. Anyone who has to be in site has access to as much PPE and disinfectant as they want and anyone working from home can get most of their office couriered to them or can expense what they need to be safe.

The WRC is going to be busy after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In principle, I agree with you: I'm mad as hell that I'm apparently expected to provide my employer with office space long term, for the princely sum of 3.20 per day. My partner is pretty damn unhappy that he doesn't have a living room during the day.

I'm also pretty pissy with certain sell-out colleagues who are telling management how great WFH home is and that it's the future of work. I've been told - by them - that I should move to a larger place (but like hell am I giving up a Part 4 tenancy in the current rental market). Even if I was in a unionised environment, the power of the union is collective - and most people don't agree with me and wouldn't support me.

But pragmatically - I cannot refuse. If I try, my current employer is likely to make me redundant. Any future job I get is likely to include it as a condition of employment that I provide a suitable office space (and I'm gonna be in trouble if they come inspecting it!)

And you're absolutely right about the likely flood of claims for musculo-skeletal issues - so much so that I expect the government will find some legal way to absolve employers of responsibility, at least for a year or two of pandemic response time.

Personally I'm hoping that a juicy GDPR breach and subsequent compensation will jolt a lot of companies into re-thinking - but we will need to wait for Covid-19 to settle down.

And to return to the OP - by all means ask your employer to contribute, or at least to loan you some furniture- but don't expect a positive response. Many will just say "nope".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

In principle, I agree with you: I'm mad as hell that I'm apparently expected to provide my employer with office space long term, for the princely sum of 3.20 per day. My partner is pretty damn unhappy that he doesn't have a living room during the day.

I'm also pretty pissy with certain sell-out colleagues who are telling management how great WFH home is and that it's the future of work. I've been told - by them - that I should move to a larger place (but like hell am I giving up a Part 4 tenancy in the current rental market). Even if I was in a unionised environment, the power of the union is collective - and most people don't agree with me and wouldn't support me.

But pragmatically - I cannot refuse. If I try, my current employer is likely to make me redundant. Any future job I get is likely to include it as a condition of employment that I provide a suitable office space (and I'm gonna be in trouble if they come inspecting it!)

And you're absolutely right about the likely flood of claims for musculo-skeletal issues - so much so that I expect the government will find some legal way to absolve employers of responsibility, at least for a year or two of pandemic response time.

Personally I'm hoping that a juicy GDPR breach and subsequent compensation will jolt a lot of companies into re-thinking - but we will need to wait for Covid-19 to settle down.

And to return to the OP - by all means ask your employer to contribute, or at least to loan you some furniture- but don't expect a positive response. Many will just say "nope".

Sell out colleagues really? WOW

WFH is great and is the future and long may it continue!!

Surely you can put a small desk in your bedroom and let your partner have the living room.

I paid 50 quid in woodies for a 6ft folding table, brought office chair home along with laptop Docking Station etc. All sorted and the 50 quid table is great.

No issues whatsoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

This is all getting weird fast.

You don't get the job unless you have a home office and are marked on your "professional presentation".

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

So - back to the original question - can you buy a shed and use it as a business premises so you can keep your job
    Yes - if you're an independent contractor and take responsibility for all of the subsequent employment regulation etc etc + all of that paper filling work stuff
    No - if your employer is just a clueless cheapskate freeloader and expects their employees to do all of their thinking for them. Tell them you will be turning up at 9:00am in the morning unless they tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

[QUOTE= blah blah .. No issues whatsoever![/QUOTE]

The issue here is complete chancers taking advantage of workers in a vulnerable circumstnace - ala Uber and that 1 gig economy valley bull ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

• Advertisement

WFH from home since March. Employer also very kindly gave me a 20% paycut. Also 'sold' the idea of working from home that I would save on commuting costs.

I had the space and fitted out the box room and its fine with the exception of a screaming 3 year old from time to time.

On the plus side I don't get out of jocks and t-shirt for half the day.

I floated the idea about a new chair, monitors etc but was laughed at.

Advertisement