Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry is a load of horse **** waste of time and most people intrinsically know it.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

The whole point of language is to communicate, to be clear, and sometimes to provoke feeling. Meanwhile poetry is about making vague statements that are supposed to be "symbols" of something else.

Poetry is all pretentious nonsense. It's elitism in its purest form. People feel like they "get it", they're part of an elite group of people.

If a single person here has respect for or actually reads or even buys poetry - what do you get out of it? How does it improve your life?

Everyone else, what do you think of poetry.

You don't like poetry, fine,
    don't make it your burden.
    Stop your petty whine
    and be a happy person.

If you don't like poetry, that's ok, but don't belittle it just because you don't like it or "get" it. There is an endless amount of other things in life to enjoy, go try one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The whole point of language is to communicate, to be clear, and sometimes to provoke feeling. Meanwhile poetry is about making vague statements that are supposed to be "symbols" of something else.

Poetry is all pretentious nonsense. It's elitism in its purest form. People feel like they "get it", they're part of an elite group of people. "

Philistine !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Graces7 wrote: »

Poetry is all pretentious nonsense. It's elitism in its purest form. People feel like they "get it", they're part of an elite group of people. "

Philistine !
    It took a long time to become a Druid in Ireland. You'd be an apprentice till long past the expected life expectancy. Lots and lots of poetry on the syllabus.

Because before writing epic poems were the way to transfer knowledge through generations.

Think of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, or the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Táin Bó Cúailnge

They are all contemporary pop tunes compared to the stories of the Australians. Geologically verified events from over 40,000 years ago passed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

2020 is a load of sh1te,
    A virus came and gave us all a fright,
    Sickness and isolation,
    And lockdown nations,
    A vaccine will bring us huge delight.

From Owlbethere

if poetry isnt your thing
    if you find that the rhythms dont sing
    give reading a shot
    and be glad-or, if not,
    give music a go, you might love it

and if music it just doesnt stir you
    then art might just do it. or, sher, you
    might just not like stuff
    thats not simple enough
    like this line rhyming with that above it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Yea. And there's almost a ban on it rhyming too.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Yea. And there's almost a ban on it rhyming too.

theres no ban on anything rhyming
    or dictating scansion, or timing
    the charge is confusing
    (though somewhat amusing)
    its optional. why are you whining?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It took a long time to become a Druid in Ireland. You'd be an apprentice till long past the expected life expectancy. Lots and lots of poetry on the syllabus.

It took many years of hard training to become a witchdoctor or alchemist as well - doesn't mean they were useful.
    Because before writing epic poems were the way to transfer knowledge through generations.

Think of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, or the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Táin Bó Cúailnge

I already addressed this and excluded those from the discussion. I'm not even sure if they should be counted as poems for exactly that reason - because that's how they passed down tales. The rhyming and structures heavily assisted their recall before writing, especially to get the exact words. Also as I understand it a lot of oral works were intended to be sung - would you consider rap to be poetry because it rhymes?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,662 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Poetry is cool, and can be about anything. Time for bed

I shut my eyes in darkness deep
    Awaiting the embrace of sleep
    My sweet escape from a world of lies
    And foes wearing a friend's disguise

Serenely falling upon sleep's hands
    I submit myself to her commands
    She slowly lets my mind fall still
    Then empties it for dreams to fill

"i dont like that"
    is a valid statement
    but it doesnt itself
    aid in any abatement

and -more than once- rap has been cited
    as a mode of the form to be slighted
    i dunno why the mic drop
    at the mention of hip hop-
    that seems to me somewhat shortsighted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

theres no ban on anything rhyming
    or dictating scansion, or timing
    the charge is confusing
    (though somewhat amusing)
    its optional. why are you whining?
    A statement isn't a whine.

a statement mightnt be a whine
    but i had to find a word to rhyme

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”

― D.H. Lawrence,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

sabat wrote: »
    Or fapping to Gina Gerson

Holy Fcuk,
    I looked her up,
    I know her face, that’s gas,
    She’s still a hot piece of ass,
    I can’t believe she’s 58,
    Good choice mate ;)

Advertisement