Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas veggie turkey or roast suggestions

Options
  • 05-11-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I know that it is a little bit early but I am just trying to get an idea of what my options are for veggie turkey or roast this Christmas?

For the past few years we just went with a couple of Quorn Family roasts and some Quorn Gammon Roasts but I haven't seen either of those products around in ages and so might have to consider a plan B.

Has anybody seen either of these products in Dublin recently?
    Or what options are the boards.ie veggies taking this year?

Comments

I really liked this product

http://fieldroast.com/product/hazelnut-cranberry-roast-en-croute/

They have another alternative ‘the celebration roast’ but I didn’t rate it as much as the link I posted.

Some of their products I really like, the deli slices are great, but some I don’t rate at all.

Quite hit or miss for me so I suggest you just try a few and find what you like.

I know I didn’t like the Gardein roast but I’ve friends that really like it.

I think all those taste preferences come down to how meat-like you want your substitutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

I really liked this product

http://fieldroast.com/product/hazelnut-cranberry-roast-en-croute/

They have another alternative ‘the celebration roast’ but I didn’t rate it as much as the link I posted.

Some of their products I really like, the deli slices are great, but some I don’t rate at all.

Quite hit or miss for me so I suggest you just try a few and find what you like.

I know I didn’t like the Gardein roast but I’ve friends that really like it.

I think all those taste preferences come down to how meat-like you want your substitutes.

Looks interesting. Where did you pick them up or did you order them online?

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    Looks interesting. Where did you pick them up or did you order them online?

I’m based in Oz and go to a vegan supermarket that stocks them.

Can’t help you in Ireland as to who stocks them. May say in their website ?

That one I linked is really good. Looks the part too when the pastry puffs up.

I’m based in Oz and go to a vegan supermarket that stocks them.

Can’t help you in Ireland as to who stocks them. May say in their website ?

That one I linked is really good. Looks the part too when the pastry puffs up.

Yeah, it looks the part alright.

I just tried their website and it says that there are no stores located near me. :(

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Advertisement

That looks amazing.

Thanks for the suggestion Tar

That looks great but I am not a fan of chestnuts or cranberries. I am looking for something a bit more simple.

The Quorn Roasts have been great for me up until now and I remember a few years back I tried a Tofurkey and that wasn't bad either.

Unfortunately it seems like Quorn seem to be moving away from their old meat substitute products and focusing more on "ready meal" types which I don't like at all. But who knows? Maybe some other company will come in and fill that niche if Quorn abandon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

How would I go about ordering one ?
    The site veganlife.ie is gone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

65535 wrote: »
    How would I go about ordering one ?
    The site veganlife.ie is gone

Veganlife.ie is just the name of the instagram/facebook page that is reporting vegan products found in Ireland (I help run it). The actual roast can be found here https://www.thanksplants.co/
    It is sold online with some other things, sausages gravy etc for €49. Closer to xmas it will be available in Dublin shops for €19.95.

If you click through to the post the text explains:
    How UNREAL does this Festive Roast from @thanksplants.co look!? Apparently its a seitan based roast stuffed with mushroom, chestnuts and cranberries
    Even better, you can pre-order it online now as part of a Christmas Feast Box for delivery nationwide (€39 plus p&p) and the Festive Roast itself will be available from the 12th November in Dublin stores. RRP in stores is €19.95. The roast is 1kg and feeds 4 - 5 people

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion Tar

That looks great but I am not a fan of chestnuts or cranberries. I am looking for something a bit more simple.

The Quorn Roasts have been great for me up until now and I remember a few years back I tried a Tofurkey and that wasn't bad either.

Unfortunately it seems like Quorn seem to be moving away from their old meat substitute products and focusing more on "ready meal" types which I don't like at all. But who knows? Maybe some other company will come in and fill that niche if Quorn abandon it.

Those kinds of roasts appear closer to christmas than now, but I'd expect them to pop up soon. Tofurkey is usually in health shops every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all

Is anyone able to tell me if this is a main course or a side dish please? To be honest, I thought it looked like a main course, but now that I read the description, it seems like it is just stuffing. Am confused now! Thanks a million in advance

https://christmasfood.marksandspencer.ie/vegan-festive-wreath-serves-4-/p/fdp60484864?prevPage=plp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all

Is anyone able to tell me if this is a main course or a side dish please? To be honest, I thought it looked like a main course, but now that I read the description, it seems like it is just stuffing. Am confused now! Thanks a million in advance

https://christmasfood.marksandspencer.ie/vegan-festive-wreath-serves-4-/p/fdp60484864?prevPage=plp

Looks like a main to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

eviltwin wrote: »
    Looks like a main to me

Yeay! Having ordered it already, this is what I wanted to hear. Thank you. Will be our first veggie Christmas. Enjoying the lifestyle change :)

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all

I don’t know for sure but it certainly looks like something you would add to a dinner plate.

So like a stuffing or stuffing substitute. Or maybe more like a nut roast ?

But it doesn’t look like anything you’d serve alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ruarua

I had the vegan nut roast from Blazing Salads in Dublin (Drury Street) last year.

I thought it was delicious and really enjoyed it from the first helping to the last.

They're available to order on their website now.

ruarua wrote: »
    I had the vegan nut roast from Blazing Salads in Dublin (Drury Street) last year.

I thought it was delicious and really enjoyed it from the first helping to the last.

They're available to order on their website now.

Good shout. A friend of mine got that last year too and he really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I used to make a mean roulad (seitan) that always went down well with the meat eating folk too. There's bound to be a link to it here somewhere. Simple enough to make, and tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

Just to note that Tesco are launching a Christmas vegan range in the next week. I have only seen a part of the catalogue so cannot comment on what they will offer but one picture I saw looked like a fake beef wellington. Keep an eye out for it being released.

Separately, Vegan Sandwich Co did seitan turkey and stuffing with gravy last year, when still selling at the market stall. I understand that they will offer the same for order and collection / delivery again this year so keep an eye out for that.

Just to note that Tesco are launching a Christmas vegan range in the next week. I have only seen a part of the catalogue so cannot comment on what they will offer but one picture I saw looked like a fake beef wellington. Keep an eye out for it being released.

Separately, Vegan Sandwich Co did seitan turkey and stuffing with gravy last year, when still selling at the market stall. I understand that they will offer the same for order and collection / delivery again this year so keep an eye out for that.

Any link to the tesco stuff? Cheers

** Edit ** All good thanks.

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/enjoy-a-fully-vegan-feast-this-christmas-as-tesco-unveils-its-impressive-festive-range/

Found there is a roast for €3.49 in aldi to try now!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHdRjNSH__K/

• Advertisement

Picked 4 up today. Will report back after a roast on Sunday!

Tofurkey roast is in carrots tail in dublin from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Looks tempting, hopefully I can get it locally for a try

How many would it serve?

We made a video of it, it is small, probably two people.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHeBIpDHv8t/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Vegan Sandwich Company are also offering some Christmas roast preorder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I didn't realise that in Instagram was Co-run by you tar!

Managed to find the aldi roast today after a few tries at different places, going to try it tomorrow. Much smart than I expected, hopefully it's nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

We made a video of it, it is small, probably two people.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHeBIpDHv8t/

Are they nice, Tar?

Might pick one or two up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Vegan Sandwich Company are also offering some Christmas roast preorder

Thanks for that, I just ordered one!!

I didn't realise that in Instagram was Co-run by you tar!

Managed to find the aldi roast today after a few tries at different places, going to try it tomorrow. Much smart than I expected, hopefully it's nice!
    Since I like helping people choose vegan options and spend all my time eating I thought I'd try to be useful haha!

Yeah it is way smaller (I think that was what you meant) than the advertising would have you believe, if I was having it on christmas I'd want one to myself for sandwiches! Let us know what you think!
    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Are they nice, Tar?

Might pick one or two up tomorrow.

I didn't have it myself, but I'll be popping in soon to get one. Let you know!
    My friend that had it said that the meaty part could use more flavour but that she loved the sweet stuffing. Also let us know!

The big thing for this is that it is so cheap, usually the bigger roasts are 30ish euro which they would want to be amazing for tbh. I usually get one anyway as it is a special occasion and I like supporting the smaller Irish businesses releasing them, vegansaddnwichco, moodley manor (RIP).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

We had that aldi roast tonight, I really wasn't a fan. I thought it tasted exactly like the 'meaty' part of the southern fried burgers that were in aldi a while back.

It's great to see other brands branching out into more things than just standard burgers though, there's so many more options now than when I stopped eating meat a few years back which is only a good thing!

Advertisement