Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Men's Day, November 19

Options
  • 03-11-2020 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭

To discuss anything and everything related to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Invitation to a Free International Men's Day 2020 Webinar
    To: E-Male Matters Mailing List
    Subject: Invitation to a Free International Men's Day 2020 Webinar

Dear Colleague,

As you probably already know, International Men's Day (IMD) takes place on the 19th of November each year. This day offers an opportunity for everyone to celebrate the important contribution that men and boys make to their families, friends, communities, workplaces, society and the world. However, it is also a time to highlight some of the key issues facing males, and to provide practical support and positive encouragement to overcome these.

To mark IMD 2020, HSE Health and Wellbeing - supported by the Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) and the Centre for Men’s Health in IT Carlow - is organising a webinar which explores the impact of COVID-19 upon the mental health and wellbeing of men and boys. Titled 'Men's Mental Health in these Challenging Times', this free event will ...

• begin at 11.00am;
    • look at issues such as farming, older men and young men;
    • include a mix of research presentations, personal experiences and discussion.

If you would like to participate, you can register at: https://ims.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_QlnhU5CZSMaI9QhEyrkF1Q

All the best,

Coli

PS: Apologies if this is the second time that you have received this message!

Colin Fowler
    Director of Operations
    Men's Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI)
    Email: colin@mhfi.org
    Web: www.mhfi.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/MensHealthForumIreland
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/MensHealthIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Well I remember International womens day in work, there was free cupcakes and inspirational emails.
    I can't wait to see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

phill106 wrote: »
    Well I remember International womens day in work, there was free cupcakes and inspirational emails.
    I can't wait to see what happens!

A generic one liner on your company intranet if it's anything like where I work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

eVeRYdAy iS iNtErnAtiOnaL mEnS dAY - feminists all over the world.

Dzr7snUUcAATBNL.jpg

• Advertisement

The 2 events that I posted are all that I have found on the following Twitter searches
    #InternationalMensDay Ireland
    #IMD2020 Ireland
    #InternationalMensDay2020 Ireland

I've also now come across the following event in Queen's University Belfast which looks a bit bland

https://www.qub.ac.uk/about/Leadership-and-structure/Faculties-and-Schools/Medicine-Health-and-Life-Sciences/GenderEquality/NewsandEvents/InternationalMensDay/MenFamilyandCOVID-19AddressingtheChallenges/
    PANEL DISCUSSION FOLLOWED BY Q&A
    MEN, FAMILY AND COVID-19: ADDRESSING THE CHALLENGES
    Thursday 19 November, 3.00 pm - 4.00 pm

This panel discussion will provide an opportunity to discuss the challenges that the current pandemic has posed to busy staff in Queen's. We will discuss the mounting pressures of increasing research and teaching workloads simultaneous with the added pressures of school closures, social isolation and mental health difficulties.

Key Facts
    Ten Key Facts about Men and Boys’ Wellbeing in the UK
    https://ukmensday.org.uk/key-facts/

https://twitter.com/loosewomen/status/1328305072044990464
    https://www.itv.com/loosewomen/articles/loose-women-all-male-panel-loose-men-international-mens-day
    Our Stand By Your Men campaign, which is part of our award-winning mental health campaign Lighten The Load, has been raising awareness about how vital it is that men talk as openly about their struggles as we do on Loose Women. International Men’s Day is the perfect opportunity to bring that message to the forefront and our Loose Men Marvin, Iain, Roman and Ronan are just the panel to do it. They'll also be joined by Hollywood legend Matthew McConaughey, in what's set to be a show like no other."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I intend to treat myself well on the day, hope all are doing well in the current difficult times.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

and ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Interesting statistics. (Sorry, if already posted)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://twitter.com/GaryGannonTD/status/1329371075101274113?s=20

Gary Gannon as always has to make it about hating men...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 UcdLaw22

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Interesting statistics. (Sorry, if already posted)

Some of those statistics are shocking. Always forget that the percentage of male victims of domestic violence is so high - really shouldn't be seen as solely a women's issue.

The only statistic I'd be slightly wary of is the one about men being more likely to be imprisoned for the same crime - comes across a bit like the problem of most "pay gap" data where they don't take into account the differences in hours worked.

I'm not denying that gender can definitely have an effect on sentencing (with judges being human and having their own internal biases) but a huge aggravating factor in sentencing is the existence of prior convictions/offending behaviour. As men commit the vast majority of crime, it would stand to reason that they are much more likely to have prior convictions (or more priors) than a woman facing a charge for the same crime, which would result in a more severe sentence - not due to gender bias. So it's not exactly comparing like with like. You'd really need to compare men and women with similar offending backgrounds e.g. both first time offenders. If anyone happened to know of any studies where they've done this I'd be really interested in reading it!

UcdLaw22 wrote: »
    Some of those statistics are shocking. Always forget that the percentage of male victims of domestic violence is so high - really shouldn't be seen as solely a women's issue.

The only statistic I'd be slightly wary of is the one about men being more likely to be imprisoned for the same crime - comes across a bit like the problem of most "pay gap" data where they don't take into account the differences in hours worked.

I'm not denying that gender can definitely have an effect on sentencing (with judges being human and having their own internal biases) but a huge aggravating factor in sentencing is the existence of prior convictions/offending behaviour. As men commit the vast majority of crime, it would stand to reason that they are much more likely to have prior convictions (or more priors) than a woman facing a charge for the same crime, which would result in a more severe sentence - not due to gender bias. So it's not exactly comparing like with like. You'd really need to compare men and women with similar offending backgrounds e.g. both first time offenders. If anyone happened to know of any studies where they've done this I'd be really interested in reading it!

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

PROF. STARR'S RESEARCH SHOWS LARGE UNEXPLAINED GENDER DISPARITIES IN FEDERAL CRIMINAL CASES
    Nov. 16, 2012
    If you're a criminal defendant, it may help—a lot—to be a woman. At least, that's what Prof. Sonja Starr's research on federal criminal cases suggests. Prof. Starr's recent paper, "Estimating Gender Disparities in Federal Criminal Cases," looks closely at a large dataset of federal cases, and reveals some significant findings. After controlling for the arrest offense, criminal history, and other prior characteristics, "men receive 63% longer sentences on average than women do," and "[w]omen are…twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted." This gender gap is about six times as large as the racial disparity that Prof. Starr found in another recent paper.

There are other studies that have shown gender disparity in criminal cases, but not as pronounced as Prof. Starr's findings. This is because she is looking at "a larger swath of the criminal justice process" in her analysis, she said. The paper states, "Existing studies have typically focused on single stages of the criminal process in isolation"—in particular, the judge's final sentencing decision. These studies compare actual sentencing outcomes after controlling for the recommended sentence associated with the defendant's ultimate conviction. The problem with this, Starr explains, is that "the key control variable is itself the result of a host of discretionary decisions made earlier in the justice process"—including prosecutors' charging and plea-bargaining decisions. Starr's research incorporates disparities found at those earlier stages, and finds that "more disparity is introduced at each phase of the justice process."

After estimating the amount of disparity left unexplained by the arrest offense and other control variables, the paper explores "why these gaps exist—and, in particular, whether unobserved differences between men and women might justify them." Prof. Starr explores several potential mitigating factors, such as the "girlfriend theory" (that "[w]omen might be viewed as…mere accessories of their male romantic partners"), the role of women as primary caregivers to their children, and the "theory that female defendants receive leniency because they are more cooperative with the government." Although each of these theories found some support in the data, they did not appear capable of explaining anything close to the total disparity that Prof. Starr found.

Prof. Starr emphasized that it is not possible to "prove" gender discrimination with data like hers, because it is always possible that two seemingly similar cases could differ in ways not captured by the data. Given the size of the apparent gender gap and the richness of the dataset (which allowed many alternative explanations to be explored), however, Starr believes that there is "pretty good reason to suspect that disparate treatment may be one of the causes of this gap."

If men and women are being treated differently by prosecutors and judges, what should be done about it? Prof. Starr leaves that question to policymakers, but she does note that the solution "is not necessarily to lock up a lot more women, but perhaps to reconsider the decision-making criteria that are applied to men. About one in every fifty American men is currently behind bars, and we could think about gender disparity as perhaps being a key dimension of that problem."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

he really is the worst type of person.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

"Everyday in our media we learn of more and more cases of domestic violence resulting in the death of women."

Do we? Must be looking at different media to me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

That would have been a hilarious twitter post if it was from a Gary Gannon parody account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

silverharp wrote: »

Just pass no heed, we all know of anti male bias and agendas in the media. This nothing new.

Cook a nice meal for yourself, take some time out for yourself, treat yourself and check in with other males in your social circle and above all, be proud of the positive contributions we make to society and those around us every day.

I subscribe to the email lists for the Irish Times, Irish Independent and Irish Examiner and didn't see any mention of the day, nor mentions on Twitter of such articles. It is, of course, quite possible I missed some coverage.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 BIG GUNZ

I hate how everything about IMD is negative: suicide, depression etc. Why don't we honour great warriors and leaders? Let's celebrate male characteristics like honour, courage, strength etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

iptba wrote: »
    I subscribe to the email lists for the Irish Times, Irish Independent and Irish Examiner and didn't see any mention of the day, nor mentions on Twitter of such articles. It is, of course, quite possible I missed some coverage.

The Irish Times had one opinion article on it, it was titled:

"Does International Men’s Day diminish women’s struggle for equality?"

Advertisement