Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 dead and several injured after terrorist incident in Vienna, Austria

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

Learn your history indeed.

Srebrenica was well over twenty years ago, actually.

If history teaches us anything, it is that, in your words 'Hate is hate, murder os murder, religion has been the cause of both for centuries'.

So why, having gotten that Catholic monkey off our backs after a long struggle, would we import a vastly more alien and problematic belief system ?

We don't need it. And we don't need it from the Balkans, or Rwanda anymore than we need it from the ME.

So your history lesson is... bunk.

I'm unsure where to start, maybe with the fact I wasn't addressing you?

Go back, read the thread and address those that are calling for mass action against others based on religion instead of guilt.

Then you may well understand my comment instead of just jumping in

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

I'm unsure where to start, maybe with the fact I wasn't addressing you?

Go back, read the thread and address those that are calling for mass action against others based on religion instead of guilt.

Then you may well understand my comment instead of just jumping in

Since you didn't understand that 1995 is more than twenty years ago, I can hardly be sure that you understand your own comments.

I'm sure I don't need your permission to contribute to either this thread which I have followed from the beginning, nor the Nice thread from which this one directly came.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115149163&postcount=859

Read closely, and then you may well understand from my multiple posts that actually, as far as I am concerned, the Poles have it right.

Imagine thinking 20 years ago is a long time!
    It's not really history, Serbians are still being investigated for the genocide they committed during the different Balkans was.

Since you didn't understand that 1995 is more than twenty years ago, I can hardly be sure that you understand your own comments.

I'm sure I don't need your permission to contribute to either this thread which I have followed from the beginning, nor the Nice thread from which this one directly came.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115149163&postcount=859

Read closely, and then you may well understand from my multiple posts that actually, as far as I am concerned, the Poles have it right.

Ffs!

Ok, continue on. Act like those you condemn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Ffs!

Better than defending islamist scum.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Imagine thinking 20 years ago is a long time!
    It's not really history, Serbians are still being investigated for the genocide they committed during the different Balkans was.

Who said it was a long time ago, or that it is history ?

I didnt. I just corrected the uninformed sermoniser who said that it was less than twenty years ago.

Factually, it wasn't. No need for indignation about that.

In reference to history, I mentioned the Balkans, a region with a long history of conflict, not Srebrenica the specific event.

Ffs!

What a deplorable way to trivialise Radical Islamist savagery.

Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hardly. They're just pointing out really basic inaccuracies. If we don't understand where a viewpoint is coming from and how it got to this point how can we hope to solve things? Repeating "sky fairy" won't solve anything. It'll be just one ignorance butting up against another.

The reasons for this current war - and I do believe it is one - are myriad and complex. The sadly recently departed journalist Robert Fisk's work would be a good source to read to see how things got to this stage. How it went from the Islamic world of say the 1960's that was far more "liberal" and modern, to today.

The superpowers having proxy wars in the middle east didn't help. The support in middle eastern cultures for despots who raped their country's assets really didn't help. QV the Shah of Iran. Usually supported by the same superpowers.

Just look at Afghanistan as an example. Bin Laden got his start there and back in the day those old enough to remember will remember nightly news pieces glorifying the fearless and resourceful mujahideen fighting a just war against the commies, supported by the west in arms and money. It was when I first heard the word "jihad".

The failure of western multiculturalism another reason, where subsequent generations of those who don't look enough like the natives and not just Muslims don't feel quite French/German/Italian/Dutch[delete as applicable], but unlike say those of African origin, the Muslims have the feeling of the support of a wider more sure, more self confident community to cling to.

The failure of the west to hit the rabble rousers firing up those multigenerational multicultural orphans another reason. I mean look at the video posted earlier from Canada IIRC, where an imam is preaching murder and revolt and yet he's still walking about unencumbered

The west becoming ever more unsure of itself, "progressive" where apparently nothing is truly wrong or right and confused and afraid about when to judge things either way in case someone somewhere is "offended" is another major problem. If you're a fourth generation Muslim man, or woman not quite fitting in, confused about WTF is going on, seeing what you see as fellow Muslims being drone bombed by a fat Yank in a cubicle in Nevada, no wonder you'll look to something more solid, more conservative, more sure, more confident and among that group you will see the more murderous come to the fore.

Oh sure it's much simpler to just paint these murderers as "medieval sand n1ggers believing in a sky fairy", but like I say that will solve nothing and will feed this war.

I'm just re- quoting this because I think Wibbs nuanced a post I could not be arsed "nuancing".

If I went through Wibbs post forensically, we might/might not/ argue some finer points.

Still, as Wibbs said, be wary of the simplicities that suit your narratives. Actually, be wary of the narratives that suit your simplicities.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭creeper1

We have to know what we are dealing with in Europe. Unfortunately YouTube no longer has the full, more horrific video and this is all I could find.

https://youtu.be/HEXUJCYKGWs

However, apart from this being a horrific crime, what is insane is that clerics (men of God!) said the killing was justified and only changed their tune when it came out that the woman never burned any Koran.

I don’t care what you do with a Koran. Nobody deserves this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭jmreire

The first Government response to the Vienna attacks, latest from Aljazeera today:

Austria gov’t agrees to preventive arrests, ban ‘political Islam’
    Proposals include the ability to close mosques, strip citizenship and imprison those convicted of ‘terrorism’ for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

jmreire wrote: »
    The first Government response to the Vienna attacks, latest from Aljazeera today:

Austria gov’t agrees to preventive arrests, ban ‘political Islam’
    Proposals include the ability to close mosques, strip citizenship and imprison those convicted of ‘terrorism’ for life.

Closing Mosques where murder ior violence is advocated or information promoting such.

A very small thing but if done impartially and without fear of response would see parts of European capitals explode literally and figuratively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

creeper1 wrote: »
    We have to know what we are dealing with in Europe. Unfortunately YouTube no longer has the full, more horrific video and this is all I could find.

However, apart from this being a horrific crime, what is insane is that clerics (men of God!) said the killing was justified and only changed their tune when it came out that the woman never burned any Koran.

"woman attacked for desecrating bible" - 0 results found

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Danzy wrote: »
    Closing Mosques where murder ior violence is advocated or information promoting such.

A very small thing but if done impartially and without fear of response would see parts of European capitals explode literally and figuratively.

Then deal with that. A lot easier to respond to self identifying people in the street than sneaky unknowns randomly blowing themselves up at concerts or getting out of a car with assault rifles and slaughtering people in restauraunts and cafés.

Not only should radicalisers and hate preachers and sharia law advocates be arrested and deported or locked up for 20 year minimum, governments should actively bait muslim communities to draw out the violently intollerant so they can be dealt with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

creeper1 wrote: »

Savages.

Advertisement