Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Event - 10th November 2020

• 02-11-2020 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Just confirmed that Apple are holding another event this month. Mostly likely the last one of the year.

El1W1QcW0AMnQ-6?format=jpg&name=small

Expecting this event to focus on new Macs using Apple Silicon and probably the rumoured Apple TV upgrade. AirTags and Apple over-ear headphones are other possibilities. Kicks off at the usual time and can be streamed in all the normal places.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hope we see Big Sur too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Be great if it literally was one more thing ��

Has to be Silicon processor macs, on ear airpods, air tags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Interested to see how powerful the new 16” MacBook Pro with Apple silicon will be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭digiman

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Interested to see how powerful the new 16” MacBook Pro with Apple silicon will be!

Only the 13” expected, maybe aspect bump for the 16” which I’ve been holding out for

digiman wrote: »
    Only the 13” expected, maybe aspect bump for the 16” which I’ve been holding out for

Mark Gurman saying the 16” is included.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-02/apple-to-hold-nov-10-event-to-announce-macs-with-own-chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

He's pretty trustworthy when it comes to these types of things, rarely wrong. Looking forward to this event purely for the release date of macOS 11. :D

Event kicking off tomorrow, I see the Irish Apple website has a big promo for the event on the home page right at the top. Found this unusual, I know Apple promote events from time to time but usually only on the US site or a smaller promo on the Irish site. The fact that they're still actively pushing the iPhone 12 too makes me wonder why they've decided to put such a big promo up top above those. Maybe it's a bigger event tomorrow than I was thinking, I know new Apple silicon Macs are a big deal but it's already expected.

I'm looking forward to macOS 11, which looks likely for a release on Wednesday.

Looks like this event is 100% Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

DubDJ wrote: »

Seems that way alright

Maybe they can’t find the AirTags?

• Advertisement

Those chip specs look impressive. Wonder if it will be a single chip instead of multiple configurations with Intel i3-7 for example.

Those chip specs look impressive. Wonder if it will be a single chip instead of multiple configurations with Intel i3-7 for example.

Sounds like it will the M1 across the 13” devices to start off and maybe the Pro will have a higher clock speed or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I didn't know Brendan O'Carroll was a developer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Run iOS apps on Macs, it's all becoming one ecosystem isn't it?

Sounds like it will the M1 across the 13” devices to start off and maybe the Pro will have a higher clock speed or something?

I've seen rumours of an iMac being one of the first silicon Macs, that's why I'm curious. If this is the base for laptops or desktop style Macs. Impressive so far, can only imagine how much more powerful things will be when the transition is complete in a couple of years.

18 hours of video playback is great!

Those battery numbers are impressive. Pushing toward 24 hour battery life at this stage.

The webcam is still 720p it seems

The webcam is still 720p it seems

There's no excuse for not improving the camera, especially with everyone working from home.

• Advertisement

Didn't expect a new MacBook Pro.

Didn't expect a new MacBook Pro.

Gurman was saying this: “ Apple and overseas suppliers are ramping up production of three Mac laptops with Apple processors: new 13-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros and a new 13-inch MacBook Air, according to people familiar with the matter.”

But I think he was also saying on Twitter that they may bit show the 16” today. Which makes sense but it is due an update.

The guy from the Apple v PC ads at the end haha :D

MBA starting at €1,100

MBP from €1,425

Simple and straight forward event this time. New Apple silicon chip M1. Put that chip into three existing Macs - Mac mini, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

Glad to see macOS 11 is out this Thursday too, will be interesting to see how the visual differences and improvements work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Max RAM config is 16GB. That’s interesting.

Max RAM config is 16GB. That’s interesting.

Unless you go for the Intel chip 13” that they are still selling which speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Unless you go for the Intel chip 13” that they are still selling which speaks volumes.

I have MacBooks with intels going back 12 years and happy out with them. I would certainly look to an intel chip if buying now. Personally want to support an Irish based chip manufacturer.

Indeed it does, indeed it does.

• Advertisement

I have MacBooks with intels going back 12 years and happy out with them. I would certainly look to an intel chip if buying now. Personally want to support an Irish based chip manufacturer.

Intel will still millions and millions of chips. Their Apple business accounts for about 2% - 4% (numbers a slightly different where you look) of their business.

What do you mean exactly by this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For now. Come back to this thread in two years and see how many Intel Macs are available to buy.

They were not going to throw the baby out with bath water today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

BIG SUR finally has a release date !!! Thursday !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I know it's an ancient complaint at this point but they really do take the mick if you want to upgrade any component. On the Mac Mini it's €226 for an extra 8GB of RAM and the same to go from a 256GB SSD to 512GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

grbear wrote: »
    I know it's an ancient complaint at this point but they really do take the mick if you want to upgrade any component. On the Mac Mini it's €226 for an extra 8GB of RAM and the same to go from a 256GB SSD to 512GB.

Yes, but . . . and there's always a 'but' with Apple . . . regarding RAM unless I'm mistaken the RAM is on-board the M1 system on a chip (SOC) so that means that it's not a separate component. So, actually, its power might not be measurable in quite the same way as on other systems.

You might find that 16gb performs more like a more powerful spec. Take the iPhones, people have been giving out for years that the Pro phones only have 4 or 6GB of Ram, but because Apple controls all aspects of the software and hardware, there is no performance lag on these devices and they frequently outperform other smartphones with greater specs. That's why Apple doesn't mention these specs in its keynotes etc. It likes to think it sells 'experiences' rather than specifications.

Whether you buy that or not is of course entirely up to you. But I think we're looking at something new with the M1 chip and we won't know for sure how they perform until people start using them and testing them.

• Advertisement

Am I going mad or is the MacBook Air only now available with the M1 chip if one wants to buy new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Am I going mad or is the MacBook Air only now available with the M1 chip if one wants to buy new?
    that would be apples whole plan of using there own chips

Yes indeed. I'm just surprised that they didn't keep at least one Intel-based Air as they have done with the Pro and Mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Not sure why you'd go for the pro over the air here. They look extremely similar only with the pro you're paying extra for the completely useless touchbar. I think I'd actually be willing to pay extra not to have it.

Why buy a Pro when the Air has the same chip? Does the fan in the Pro really make a difference to performance by keeping the chip cool?
    Who wants to pay extra for the Touch Bar ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There must be other differences between the new Air and the Pro. The Air uses a 30w power supply, the Pro a 61w. There must be something that necessitates the big difference in power consumption.

The base Air uses 7 cores while the top Air and MBP use all 8 cores. The MBP has a fan to keep things cooler so the system can work harder for longer.

Neither of which would make me pay €200 more for the Pro over the Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Anyone here think the first few generation of ARM Mac's will have shorter upgrade cycles compared to intel mac's already out ?
    We have seen similar with other Apple devices (Like iPhone's, iPad's and Apple Watches)

Wanted to pull the trigger on a Macbook 16, but it's still got the intel 9th gen chip, poor webcam and doesn't support wifi6. I was expecting all these would have been upgraded after this event regardless whether it got the new ARM processors or not.

Anyone know why the M1 chip in the Pro doesn't come with 32GB of RAM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

digiman wrote: »
    Wanted to pull the trigger on a Macbook 16, but it's still got the intel 9th gen chip, poor webcam and doesn't support wifi6. I was expecting all these would have been upgraded after this event regardless whether it got the new ARM processors or not.

Anyone know why the M1 chip in the Pro doesn't come with 32GB of RAM?

It can’t support it.

I’d be be holding off until Apple has designed a whole machine around the chip. Also, I’d need to see how the software compatibility shakes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Apple said the transition plan was 2 years so by WWDC 2022 I’d imagine we’ll start to see Apple drop support for Intel completely in newer macOS releases. I know intel will be properly supported for roughly 5 years before those macs move to legacy support.

I’d imagine in 2 years time we’ll have a full range of ARM macs and any issues will be resolved by then.

I’m personally waiting on the rumoured 14” MacBook Pro. Hopefully that will have a second-gen M-series chip with better support by then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Apple said the transition plan was 2 years so by WWDC 2022 I’d imagine we’ll start to see Apple drop support for Intel completely in newer macOS releases.

I don't see it will happen in 2 years where they completely stop new version of MacOS running on Intel. I would say it could take more than 2 years for many popular Apps to even be written for ARM. Especially Apps that aren't written in Swift, since it isn't easy to compile them for ARM. I would say 5+ years before this happening.

But any new major feature could be exclusive to ARM based Mac's, the new OS will be run on Intel but won't have all features.

drogon. wrote: »
    I don't see it will happen in 2 years where they completely stop new version of MacOS running on Intel. I would say it could take more than 2 years for many popular Apps to even be written for ARM. Especially Apps that aren't written in Swift, since it isn't easy to compile them for ARM. I would say 5+ years before this happening.

But any new major feature could be exclusive to ARM based Mac's, the new OS will be run on Intel but won't have all features.

Yeah sorry that’s why I meant. Apple will start to focus purely on ARM and start to stop support for intel macs. I’d be confident that they will probably eliminate intel chips from the Mac lineup by then too.

Also, although Apple usually supports older macs with macOS for a good few years I could see the number of years reduced because of the transition.

Advertisement