Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when we die?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Strumms wrote: »
    And nobody ever will prove it. Nobody has ever survived death.

how about J.C. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

How about this:

When you die you will be judged as you are found. You will be judged by a God who created you and loves you, while at the same time expects you to live in a certain way - a way that is fitting to the fact that you are His creation, to being a rational creature.

Most people have circa 70 years, although this is not set in stone (for all we know, this could be our last few minutes on earth). During your lifetime, using the light of reason which has been given to you, you should be able to figure out a few basic things. You should not do onto others as you would not have them do onto you. You should give each one his due. This will set you on a path of being an objectively good person - living an objective moral code which most certainly exists (basically, you cannot make up your own morality as you go along).

If you are an atheist or agnostic, you have an absolute duty to seriously investigate the existence of God. You have to satisfy your reason that your position is correct. Why? Because if you are wrong, you will stand before the judgment seat of a God whom you have denied for your entire existence. You would not have had the benefit of His teaching and His forgiveness during your lifetime.

Ever hear of Pascal's Wager? Basically, if you ignore God and God exists, you will lose everything. If you seek faith and receive it, live a good life and die, you will gain eternal life with Him. And if He does not exist, but you lived as if He did, you will lose nothing.

To get back to final judgement - you can be sure that you will be judged justly, because God is an omnipresent Being. He will know every thought, desire, act etc of your lifetime. You will not be judged unjustly.

You will end up in one of two places - Heaven or Hell. Heaven is where you will receive your eternal reward and eternal rest from all suffering, where you will see God as He really is.

Hell is where you will be eternally separated from Him. By all accounts it is not a pleasant place. "Abandon all hope ye who enter here", as Dante put it.

This is just a quick theology 101. Here is some more reading if you are interested: https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a12.htm

I hope to see all you folks in Heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

How about this:

When you die you will be judged as you are found. You will be judged by a God who created you and loves you, while at the same time expects you to live in a certain way - a way that is fitting to the fact that you are His creation, to being a rational creature.

Most people have circa 70 years, although this is not set in stone (for all we know, this could be our last few minutes on earth). During your lifetime, using the light of reason which has been given to you, you should be able to figure out a few basic things. You should not do onto others as you would not have them do onto you. You should give each one his due. This will set you on a path of being an objectively good person - living an objective moral code which most certainly exists (basically, you cannot make up your own morality as you go along).

If you are an atheist or agnostic, you have an absolute duty to seriously investigate the existence of God. You have to satisfy your reason that your position is correct. Why? Because if you are wrong, you will stand before the judgment seat of a God whom you have denied for your entire existence. You would not have had the benefit of His teaching and His forgiveness during your lifetime.

Ever hear of Pascal's Wager? Basically, in a hypothetical scenario, if you ignore God and God exists, you will lose everything. If you seek faith and receive it, live a good life and die, you will gain eternal life with Him. And if He does not exist, but you lived as if He did, you will lose nothing.

To get back to final judgement - you can be sure that you will be judged justly, because God is an omnipresent Being. He will know every thought, desire, act etc of your lifetime. You will not be judged unjustly.

You will end up in one of two places - Heaven or Hell. Heaven is where you will receive your eternal reward and eternal rest from all suffering, where you will see God as He really is.

Hell is where you will be eternally separated from Him. By all accounts it is not a pleasant place. "Abandon all hope ye who enter here", as Dante put it.

This is just a quick theology 101. I hope to see all you folks in Heaven!

That's the concept of god created by the human mind.Our minds are not capable of understanding what god is.it is like a banana trying to understand quantum mechanics.The idea that god is an old man in heaven that judges was created by simple and inferior minds.
    God is a lot more complex than that and is probably not an individual but a conglomerate of consciousness spread out across the universe that it created 13 billions years ago.What it did before that is another question.
    So when we die we go back to being that force that many call god and if you want to judge yourself and put yourself in heaven or hell then that is your choice but I will be doing a lot more than that when I become god again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

How about this:

Ever hear of Pascal's Wager? Basically, if you ignore God and God exists, you will lose everything. If you seek faith and receive it, live a good life and die, you will gain eternal life with Him. And if He does not exist, but you lived as if He did, you will lose nothing.

This is just a quick theology 101. Here is some more reading if you are interested: https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a12.htm

I hope to see all you folks in Heaven!

Ok I'm in, so which one should I look for? Odin? Mohammed? Jesus or one of the other hundreds ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How about this:

When you die you will be judged as you are found. You will be judged by a God who created you and loves you,

Love = no judging.

Didn't read the rest. Stopped there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Hopefully it's just like going to sleep, total oblivion. The idea of an afterlife gives me the creeps, something akin to waking up only to find yourself hooked up to the matrix I'd imagine.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Northernlily

****ing hell, read the first 2 pages and can't help thinking, we really do place too much value on what society expects us to be and live our lives to conform to that.

What an absolute waste of time. 9-5 work for 50 years is a serious horror show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just going to compost and be food for worms. So yeah rebirth in a way I suppose - circle of life and all that. The carbon that was formed by the imploding stars of the cosmos will get recycled yet once again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

AllForIt wrote: »
    Love = no judging.

Didn't read the rest. Stopped there.

Don't know if you have kids.
    Will assume you do.

Will also assume you love them.

What do you do when they disobey you and rebel against your love in trying to correct them and steer them in the right way of living?

Im sure you come to a judgement and a response. Tell me you don't love them in doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How about this:

Is God really that needy, that the judgement is not so much about how you lived and what good you did, but more about whether you acknowledged his existence or not?

So if you did really dreadful things, abusing and harming children, but then begged for forgiveness, you're laughing for eternity.

But if you did great things for other people, and cured the childhood cancers that God imposed on this world, just for laughs apparently, but don't acknowledge his existence, you're condemned to hell for eternity.

Doesn't really seem just or fair?

• Advertisement

Is God really that needy, that the judgement is not so much about how you lived and what good you did, but more about whether you acknowledged his existence or not?

So if you did really dreadful things, abusing and harming children, but then begged for forgiveness, you're laughing for eternity.

But if you did great things for other people, and cured the childhood cancers that God imposed on this world, just for laughs apparently, but don't acknowledge his existence, you're condemned to hell for eternity.

Doesn't really seem just or fair?

God's only going to ask one question.
    What did you do with His Son? Did you believe in Him? Did you live in the forgiveness He died to give?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

If I have a few weeks to live I want to be quickly frozen.

In the future they may have a cure and something that stops aging.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What did you do with His Son? Did you believe in Him? Did you live in the forgiveness He died to give?

So curing cancer or generally being good and kind to other people doesn't matter at all then?

Does it not seem a bit needy to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Why does he give kids cancer and let them burn alive in house fires?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

whats the point in wondering? We all going to die regardless. some people think theres god and heaven etc, some people thing theres nothing at all. I think god and heaven is a bit simplified because if there is more to death than nothing, then it had better be something decent.

Everyone has their own viewpoint, and from this side of the big pearly gates, everyone's viewpoint is as good as anyone elses. thats why it makes me ask 'whats the point in wondering?'

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't seek faith. If the god exists, I win. If it doesn't exist, I still win.

I find it humorous that you believe god to be a "him".

fryup wrote: »
    how about J.C. ?
    Did he return from he dead, and live a long life?

So curing cancer or generally being good and kind to other people doesn't matter at all then?

Does it not seem a bit needy to you?

If they were enough to get into heaven, Jesus wouldn't have had to die on a cross.

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Why does he give kids cancer and let them burn alive in house fires?

There you go assuming God gives kids cancer.

Kids aren't special in that regard.

He doesn't give anyone cancer or let people burn alive in fires.

Why have men and women died at the hands of their persecutors for their belief in God? Many of them on a pile of wood.

Why have men and women died at the hands of their persecutors for their belief in God? Many of them on a pile of wood.
    And many more who believed in god tossed people into lakes to see if they'd float...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d like to be reincarnated.

Heaven, from what we know or from what we are told, doesn’t seem like much craic...doesn’t look like much craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bigroad

You go asleep when you die.
    If you were a good person in your life you have good dreams if you were bad you have bad dreams.

the_syco wrote: »
    And many more who believed in god tossed people into lakes to see if they'd float...

You're assuming in believe that they were Christians who did this

I can call myself '' whatever''. It doesn't mean I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

That’s three questions.

I can call myself '' whatever''. It doesn't mean I am.

I can call myself the son of god
    Doesn't mean I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

For people here advocating living your life according to the Bible, have you actually read all of it? That book is insane, I know the koran gets all the bad publicity but that other book is insane, it has it all from incest to beastiality. Take the story of lot for instance theres a passage in it where he was hiding some guy and people knocked on his door looking for him to sodimise him amd lot offered his daughters instead and worse told them he could do whatever he liked with them, that s just one example of a long list of absolutely craziness thats in an archaic book written by over 100 people edited throughout history, Ill tell you what I believe I believe that all Religion is mental illness. You can point out these crazy passages all day long to a religious person amd its like having a conversation with a cat, you'll get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The belief in an after life is a great thing to ponder.

The belief in god is a very different thing and tends to upset believers and non believers as you can see here in this thread.An interesting thread but introduce god and things go a bit nuts.

I can call myself the son of god
    Doesn't mean I am.

Glad you get my point. Let me see the life lived and I'll tell you if your claim is true!

begbysback wrote: »
    That’s three questions.

There were more sub points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

There were more sub points.

Sub points with question marks at the end?

Advertisement