Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of plumbing a fridge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    If it's only 6mm I'd take the skirting off and route a channel into the back of it.

Im not sure the wife would be impressed with skirting running across the bottom of the door. Bit of a trip hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Im not sure the wife would be impressed with skirting running across the bottom of the door. Bit of a trip hazard.
    Sorry, I edited the comment above.
    I mean up and around the door frame. It looks to be about a half inch thick, could take a 6mm groove in the back, then lay in some flexi pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

I mean up and around the door frame. It looks to be about a half inch thick, could take a 6mm groove in the back, then lay in some flexi pipe.

I'll look into that. That's probably my best bet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Not a bad idea at all , just dont try and bend the 6mm pipe too tight or it will kink.

The downside of this idea is the water will be very cold in the pipe in winter and will probably condense a little on the outside of the pipe, if its in contact with skirting and door frame the wood in it will absorb the condensate and may stain or rot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not a bad idea at all , just dont try and bend the 6mm pipe too tight or it will kink.

The downside of this idea is the water will be very cold in the pipe in winter and will probably condense a little on the outside of the pipe, if its in contact with skirting and door frame the wood in it will absorb the condensate and may stain or rot over the years.

You can buy this stuff, super flexible.
    https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/coil-tubing-without-connectors/6862671/

Then get a 6mm router bit and route the groove, leaving enough of a bend so the pipe doesn't kink, push the pipe into the groove, then run tape to hold it in place. The tape would stop air getting near, so you shouldn't get condensation.
    All wood absorbs and releases moisture. You'd have to be very unlucky to get noticeable damage.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Looks like you have a lovely kitchen there, American fridge will ruin the look of it and they are nothing but trouble in my experience. They don’t even have that much space I know a fair number of people who have had them and gone back to a normal one. Why not try one of those counter top ice/water dispensers for a while and see do you really use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

copacetic wrote:
    Looks like you have a lovely kitchen there, American fridge will ruin the look of it and they are nothing but trouble in my experience. They don’t even have that much space I know a fair number of people who have had them and gone back to a normal one. Why not try one of those counter top ice/water dispensers for a while and see do you really use it?

I've been using American fridges for over 25 years without issue. First one lasted over 20 years. As for size and space, it depends on what you buy. The come in different sizes. Obviously the cheaper ones are smaller than the more expensive ones. The one we have now holds more than an under counter 3 drawer freezer and the fridge holds more than the standard fridge.

Filtered Ice, crushed ice and chilled water on demand. With the money saved from bottle water they actually pay for themselves. I couldn't live without it at this stage

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

If it was me I'd probably just forget about the American fridge as it seems like a lot of hassle to get it plumbed. What about something like this since you seem to have plenty of worktop space?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/3in1-Maker-Dispenser-Water-Display/dp/B07HMBK2CK

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

JoChervil wrote: »
    It has to be connected to mains because it is where drinking water is coming from. And ice is for consuming. You can't drink water from a cold water tank.....

But the feed to the tank will be potable water so it could be sourced there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

JoChervil wrote: »
    It has to be connected to mains because it is where drinking water is coming from. And ice is for consuming. You can't drink water from a cold water tank.....

But the feed to the tank will be potable water so it could be sourced there.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2 floors above the fridge though. Far easier taking from kitchen sink pop off skirting & architrave & running it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

You can get American fridges with integrated water tanks. It would save the whole plumbing effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does it need a drain pipe as well ? The feed should be relatively easy , you might even be able to use 10 mm copper which would be easier to hide .. ( check the book for the fridge ) .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Deub

I would question putting the fridge there at all. It is a bit of a trek from the sink (you have to go around the counter) and I imagine the stove is close to where the sink is.

Advertisement