Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Schafberg Peak

4a9de3181ac8b130ca0f1191a89f19cb.jpg

Prater Park

place-2016-05-25-6-a530e70e6e91cfe860ec400e1e24afc0.jpg

St Stephen's Cathedral

austria-vienna-st-stephens-cathedral-2.jpg

Hallstatt Village

p08fq4z7.jpg

Swarovski Crystal Worlds

swarovski_kristallwelten_wattens.jpg

Schonnbrun Palace

Sch%C3%B6nbrunn-Palace-tickets.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Schafberg Peak

I mean it's like you're about to fall off the edge of the world seemingly at the top. Just amazing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Schafberg Peak.

Best pub view in the world. Even better than the Blue Light Pub. Found about it watching Michael Portillo earlier in the year, and it's firmly on the bucket list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holy ****, that Schafberg Peak looks AMAZING!

But I've always wanted to go to a concert (preferably a New Year's Day concert) in the Schonbrunn Palace.....

Feckit, that mountain top has to get my vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

They're all lovely excepting the funfair thing and the cathedral is OK, but has to be Schafberg Peak. Fantastic, it gives me vertigo just looking at the picture.

Boardsie trip to Schafberg Peak after the pandemic is over anyone?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Hallstatt Village

To borrow the line from In Bruges, 'it's like a f**king fairy tale, how can it not be somebody's thing!?'

Hallstatt. It's like a fairytale place where you'd find wooden puppets or elves and shoemakers.

I put this up on the I Bet You Didn't Know That thread in July actually - the train that takes you up to the peak. It's so steep that the locomotive is tilted to keep it level on the slope.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Boardsie trip to Schafberg Peak after the pandemic is over anyone?

:D
    I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Swarovski Crystal Worlds, its a giant face spitting out water, not sure we will see many more in this tournament

cdeb wrote: »
    I put this up on the I Bet You Didn't Know That thread in July actually - the train that takes you up to the peak. It's so steep that the locomotive is tilted to keep it level on the slops.
    Great Freudian typo there while you were at it! :D

Ninja edit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Schafberg peak, no beating that!

Ninja edit!
    Not ninja enough! :pac:

• Advertisement

I put this up on the I Bet You Didn't Know That thread in July actually - the train that takes you up to the peak. It's so steep that the locomotive is tilted to keep it level on the slope.

The Little Engine That Could - and does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Some of the nominations in this are going to make our own efforts in the All Ireland competition look fairly mundane by comparison.

I was fairly sure I would be voting Hallstatt for Austria but that Schafberg Peak looks amazing and gets my vote.

I wasn't sure if we were re-nominating for Ireland so left them out. Would have gone for the two finalists and the Skelligs though.

Schafberg Peak

Wow, I didn't actually know about this place & I thought Austria was beautiful, this is better then anything I have seen before.
    First new place on list

Schafberg Peak advances and will represent Austria

• Advertisement

We stay in Europe as we visit the first of the Benelux countries next.

I'm actually a little surprised at how clear that was tbh!

Grand Place

100957_Brussels_Grand%20Place_d458-67.jpg

Bruges Belfry and Markt Square

80460_belfort-hoofdafbeelding.jpg

Atomium

Atomium-meeting-venue_09ae73dbc5f41ca87f5405afb62e3431b8aa602c_sq_640.jpg

Manneken Pis

797_797---MANNEKEN-PIS-1_sq_640.jpg

Bruges Belfry and Markt Square - It's just fabulous. Was supposed to be visiting this summer... thanks Covid

Tempting to go for the peeing statue but I'll avoid my immature nature and vote for

Atomium.

Looks awesome.

Can I register an anti-vote for the Mannekin Pis? The most underwhelming thing I've ever made an effort to see, ever!

The Atomium, on the other hand, is absolutely bonkers, and brilliant, and fairly unique, so absolutely gets my vote!

(I think it's a bit unfair using a pic of the Grand Place with that flower display, which is only there every second year - it's an impressive square, but a LOT more boring usually!)

Atomium, I'm not a science nerd but this is pure class and gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Bruges Belfry and Market Square, as I've mentioned I'm a big fan of the movie but I'm yet to visit.

Atomium - went there when I was 12 absolutely facinating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I would agree about Mannekin Pis, one of the most underwhelming city sights I have ever been to see (although still not as underwhelming as The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen, I'll probably moan about that again if it appears in the Denmark round).

Anyway it's a tough one between Grand Place and Bruges Markt for me - the Grand Place looked amazing when we were there at Christmas time and I love how they change it around during the year. But Bruges really is a bit special - as someone said earlier, it's like a ****ing fairytale, so the Markt gets my vote.

• Advertisement

I find Belgium really fecking boring

Atomium is something actually different, interesting and not fecking boring. Vote for that.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I find Belgium really fecking boring
    You could call it the Longford of Europe I guess. I'll vote Brugge cos it's a lovely city.

Does this mean that the Flame Towers in Baku are either not in the tournament or have a bye as the only Azeri nomination btw? Presume we're going alphabetically through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I will echo the sentiment about Mannekin Pis, very very underwhelming.

I will vote for Atomium. That and the Mini Europe are really cool!!

The Atomium advances and will represent Belgium

Does this mean that the Flame Towers in Baku are either not in the tournament or have a bye as the only Azeri nomination btw? Presume we're going alphabetically through this.
    I'm sure Omackeral has enough to be doing, so I'll anwer this.....

Any country that had only one nomination goes straight through to the national contest.

These are the prelims, where countries had more than one nomination.

Hope I've got the terminology right!

I know - but the question was to confirm we're going alphabetically?

Also, I figure the Flame Towers deserve a mention, even if they didn't get nominated.

Ok so I landed on my feet with 64 countries when I did up the original nominations list. I was chuffed and settled on that as a perfect tournament number. I was still taking for nominations for any mentioned nations but not any for those yet to be mentioned. Azerbaijan falls into the latter.

HOWEVER, I will create a Wild Card Battle Royal and your Flaming Towers will be in it :)

I know - but the question was to confirm we're going alphabetically?

Also, I figure the Flame Towers deserve a mention, even if they didn't get nominated.
    Yep, he (she??) said it's going alphabetically.

I'd assumed you'd nominated them, and were wondering why they were skipped!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ok so I landed on my feet with 64 countries when I did up the original nominations list. I was chuffed and settled on that as a perfect tournament number. I was still taking for nominations for any mentioned nations but not any for those yet to be mentioned. Azerbaijan falls into the latter.

HOWEVER, I will create a Wild Card Battle Royal and your Flaming Towers will be in it :)

Oh sweet!

I may PM you later. :)

But actually, a Wild Card would be a nice way of catching what we've failed to nominate. Provided it doesn't mess around with your neat 64-country draw of course!
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd assumed you'd nominated them, and were wondering why they were skipped!
    No, though I did do that a couple of times on the Ireland landmarks thread alright. But it might be handy to see what's been left out and to at least give more unusual places a shout out.

• Advertisement

Oh sweet!

I may PM you later. :)

Please don't!!! I've just created a Wild Card Round with a whopping 12 additional countries. That'll give us two prelims and a play-off to see who grabs the last spot. There is now no country left out that was nominated!

Right we go to Bubblypop's favourite part of the world next and that's the Balkans. Hold tight.

Stari Most Bridge

2784554829_b925f5e4d2_b.jpg

Kravice Waterfall

d7.jpg

Sarajevo Olympic Bobsleigh Track

IMG_0516.jpg

Omackeral wrote: »
    Please don't!!! I've just created a Wild Card Round with a whopping 12 additional countries. That'll give us two prelims and a play-off to see who grabs the last spot. There is now no country left out that was nominated!

Fairy nuff!

*Waits to see whether the Gates to Hell in Turkmenistan got nominated now...*

Waterfall is gorgeous and Skate park kinda cool but gotta go with

Stari Most Bridge

Picturesque. I'd love to visit there.

The abandoned bobsleigh track is a good nomination for whoever's responsible for that!

But the bridge in Mostar is quality, even after it was blown up and rebuilt. Gets my vote. (But I'm damned if I'm jumping off it...)

• Advertisement

Kravice waterfall is pretty spectacular, but the Mostar bridge is other-worldly beautiful.

Mostar Bridge.

Stari Most for me.

Despite having the **** bombed out of it, and being in fair tatters when I visited, there was just the loveliest atmosphere in Mostar - and that bridge was just a very sad, poignant symbol of everything that had happened.

(I'd have nominated the Hilton in Sarajevo if I'd thought of it in my five minutes of panic when I realised nominations were closed!)

Stari Most Bridge. That's class.

This is going to be such a tough contest!!

Stari Most Bridge Quite magical. It looks a thoroughly lovely place.

The waterfall, OK but there's always a better one and the bobsleigh track is OK but I wouldn't go out of my way - currently 5 kms.

Stari Most Bridge, looks really nice and has an interesting history behind it

• Advertisement
Advertisement