Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Contact My Landlord About New Tenants Behaviour?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GMI101

Murt10 wrote: »
    Contact the landlord and have them evicted. They obviously had this planned ie that he would move in before they took the room. The longer you leave it the harder it's going to be to get rid of them.

With the way they're carrying on, it wouldn't surprise me if they were asked to leave their previous place for anti social behavior.

I would also suggest to the landlord that you and your housemate are willing to get the new tenants that will replace this girl. Obviously the landlord have the final say and he'll have to pay for the advertisement. In fact, maybe you or your friend have another friend who's looking for somewhere to stay or is unhappy where they are.

I know it's extra work for you, but after all, the choice of tenant is very important, as you have to live with the new person, while the landlord doesn't. He can give you general guidelines of what he wants in a tenant. He will also be aware that if he doesn't do something quickly he's going to lose two good long term tenants in you and your other flatmate.

If it doesn't work out leave quickly. Life's far too short to be living in a conflict situtation when you don't have to.

Yeah, it does seem like it was the plan for them both to move in a take over. The weird thing is that the landlord said she came with good references. Very odd.

Well, we usually do organise our own replacements - that's how our last 3 or 4 tenants moved in, we personally knew of people who were looking for a place to move into. Unfortunately, this time, we knew of no-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

GMI101 wrote: »
    The weird thing is that the landlord said she came with good references. Very odd.

If you were a landlord and you wanted rid of troublesome tenants, you'd give them excellent references as well, just to get rid of them. :D:D:D

Murt10 wrote: »
    If you were a landlord and you wanted rid of troublesome tenants, you'd give them excellent references as well, just to get rid of them. :D:D:D

Fair point!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Seriously, OP, you need to stop fannying about and say it to her about the boyfriend. The longer he's there the more difficult it will be to say it - sitting on it for any length of time is basically giving tacit approval.

100% agree.

OP, you mentioned that there was a couple there previously. If they want to move in, as a couple, then they have to pay accordingly in terms of rent, utilities etc.

That's before even getting into any other issues about their behaviour. In your shoes,I would want rid of them, tbh.

So, a little success!! I emailed the landlords - decided in the end that this was the best option as I obviously had a lot to say (it was a long email!!!) and written communication is always a little easier to follow. Also the house is technically owned by two people together so I think it's best to make them aware at the same time.

Anyways, 20mins later they got back to me saying we agree entirely and are taking the matter seriously. They're going to seek legal advice around evictions (which is fair enough, they need to cover their own backs too and I don't think they've ever evicted anyone before!) and they'll keep me posted.

I'm aware this the first baby step in what'll likely be a long enough and probably unpleasant process but it's just such a relief alone knowing my landlords are on board with this.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I promise to keep ye all updated as this thread has been keeping me sane over the past couple of days!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So, a little success!! I emailed the landlords - decided in the end that this was the best option as I obviously had a lot to say (it was a long email!!!) and written communication is always a little easier to follow. Also the house is technically owned by two people together so I think it's best to make them aware at the same time.

Anyways, 20mins later they got back to me saying we agree entirely and are taking the matter seriously. They're going to seek legal advice around evictions (which is fair enough, they need to cover their own backs too and I don't think they've ever evicted anyone before!) and they'll keep me posted.

I'm aware this the first baby step in what'll likely be a long enough and probably unpleasant process but it's just such a relief alone knowing my landlords are on board with this.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I promise to keep ye all updated as this thread has been keeping me sane over the past couple of days!!!

That is huge progress, not little. Well done! These things are not easy for anyone. ;)

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is huge progress, not little. Well done! These things are not easy for anyone. ;)

Yeah, I suppose the first step in sometimes the biggest.

Just had another message from the landlord there asking had we discussed it with them and I said I had and that I brought our things back in from outside, said it's not acceptable to turn the place over, have guests, smoke etc... he seemed happy enough with that.

He said then he'd circulate the house rules and that any tenant is entitled to have a partner over within reason. I'm hoping he doesn't just view the resolution of this as just circulating the house rules.

Will there's only so many 'house rules' that can be applied. Not smoking is a reasonable and common one. Limiting how long a guess can stay is trickier.

Sound like right assholes though so best rid of them

Will there's only so many 'house rules' that can be applied. Not smoking is a reasonable and common one. Limiting how long a guess can stay is trickier.

Sound like right assholes though so best rid of them

Yeah hopefully we will be rid of them. Though I understand evictions can be tricky at the best of times and even more so now I image. And as you say limiting how long guests can stay (especially a partner) is probably difficult to define.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Yeah hopefully we will be rid of them. Though I understand evictions can be tricky at the best of times and even more so now I image. And as you say limiting how long guests can stay (especially a partner) is probably difficult to define.

Not at all, how hard is it to say "no more than x nights a week". I've lived in houses that had 1 and 2 night rules, the two night one also saying no more than 2 weekends a month. It's a house SHARE after all, needs to be fair to everyone. You're supposed to have one new housemate not two.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Not at all, how hard is it to say "no more than x nights a week". I've lived in houses that had 1 and 2 night rules, the two night one also saying no more than 2 weekends a month. It's a house SHARE after all, needs to be fair to everyone. You're supposed to have one new housemate not two.

That's true but I suppose I'm thinking more in terms if my landlords decide to go down the eviction route (fingers crossed) what is the legal basis for saying how long is too long. Is it something that's legally sound to leave to the discretion of the landlords/other tenants to agree on, or can she appeal saying there's no defined agreement of timelines? I mean, I constantly hear about how difficult landlords find it evicting a tenant even with just cause.

I don't know.... perhaps I'm overthinking things now!! I work in an industry where you constantly have claim and counterclaim and discussions about what defines X and what defines Y. It's hard not to get caught up in it yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Caranica wrote: »

Can't evict someone for not obeying a not obvious rule that didn't exist when they moved in or if it did wasn't made clear.
    No evictions till January and likely that will be extended. Time for house rules is before they move in and the whole game is changed now evictions are basically banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Can't evict someone for not obeying a not obvious rule that didn't exist when they moved in or if it did wasn't made clear.
    No evictions till January and likely that will be extended. Time for house rules is before they move in and the whole game is changed now evictions are basically banned.

Indeed. But the non tenant can be asked to leave.

Yeah, I'm kind of this opinion myself in reality - although in cases of anti-social behaviour eviction can proceed as normal. I'm hoping that the breach of government restrictions (i.e. guests), breach of tenancy agreement (i.e. additional occupant and smoking where the property was clearly listed for non-smokers) and the general noise and disrespect to property is enough to constitute that.

I'm not sure but we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Edit: Though it would be reasonable to argue that as there are nationwide restrictions on house visits from non-essential reasons that the rule was not non-obvious and it's also reasonable to assume any prospective tenant would be aware of current nationwide restrictions considering the measures we undertook when conducting viewings (i.e. masks worn at all times, two meter distance and viewings are 10min max in duration).

Sardonicat wrote: »

yes but that's not what is being proposed.

3 nights a week is young love, any more than that should have to pay rent.

Yeah, I'm kind of this opinion myself in reality - although in cases of anti-social behaviour eviction can proceed as normal. I'm hoping that the breach of government restrictions (i.e. guests), breach of tenancy agreement (i.e. additional occupant and smoking where the property was clearly listed for non-smokers) and the general noise and disrespect to property is enough to constitute that.

I'm not sure but we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

I hope it turns out well but i'd be worried that she might dig her heels in.

3 nights a week is young love, any more than that should have to pay rent.

Young love yes, and usually I would have no problem with such a thing but ultimately these aren't normal times and there are government mandated restrictions in place.
    I hope it turns out well but i'd be worried that she might dig her heels in.

Yeah, I'm sure she will - as I say, time will tell. At the end of the day I've communicated the issue and it's been accepted, so whatever happens next is largely out of my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

OP,

Id call a house meeting 1st, house rules must be laid down to her straight.

No boyfriend staying over freeloading on facilities.

No smoking in the house.

Tell her to stop moving stuff around and not to touch your bike.

Noise/ anti social behaviour, no friends calling over especially during Level 5 lockdown.

Copy in Landlord on the meeting, document the meeting, if no improvements in the short term, ask landlord to terminate her tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

What's in the Lease agreement? When does a guest become a tenant?

Lots of factors to take into account.

Many of the factors that you should consider when a guest becomes a tenant are:

1. Length of stay.
    2. Existence of a lease or other “special contract for the room;”
    3. Receipt of mail;
    4. Access to cooking facilities;
    5. Degree of control over the space (such as whether the person has his or her own key);
    6. Whether the person has another residence; and
    7. The extent to which the person has made the dwelling his or her home for the time being.

Maybe contact Threshold for further advice/information.

https://www.threshold.ie/advice?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk7P8xJni7AIVBWHmCh0zoAwxEAAYASAAEgJwJ_D_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Leaving your bike in the hallway is annoying as fcuk though!

I bought one of those poles in Lidl that you can change the bike up against a wall in the kitchen. A hallway is too cramped to keep a bike.

Still the new tenant has no right to touch any stuff not belonging to them, but ask permission to move them.

• Advertisement

There was a thread on here not very long ago, where the general concensus was partners should stay over no more then two nights a week.

Its been more then 20 years since I last lived in a houseshare, but when I did, I know it was the one major bone of contention with one housemate who practically moved her boyfriend in. I remember how annoying it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Yeah, I suppose the first step in sometimes the biggest.

Just had another message from the landlord there asking had we discussed it with them and I said I had and that I brought our things back in from outside, said it's not acceptable to turn the place over, have guests, smoke etc... he seemed happy enough with that.

He said then he'd circulate the house rules and that any tenant is entitled to have a partner over within reason. I'm hoping he doesn't just view the resolution of this as just circulating the house rules.

Congratulations for communicating it to your LL. Yet it seems you LL is backing off. Maybe they are too conflict adverse.

From my experience if something doesn't work from the very beginning, it will only get worse. They might behave differently for first 6 months but after that LL won't be able to evict her without serious reason for next 5,5 years.

Be careful with this expression "within reason". For me it is a red flag that your LL is a soft person and won't be able to deal with them. If LL puts rules in place just demand clear declaration like 2 nights staying over per week are allowed and every second week. Her absence every second week will "pay" for her boyfriend presence every second week. If it is not possible, so one night per week would do. It is just basic fairness in shared accommodation. If they want more often meetings so then they should rent something together. And pay for it accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AlanPG

U can go legal route etc... doesn't generally end too well.

This is one of those things where you need to take the bull by the horns but firmly and diplomatically.

Suggest speaking to the girl first and saying that an occasional stayover from the boyfriend is acceptable but nothing more. To me this is actually the number one issue.

Smoking outside - normally people will agree to this, can't see her saying no. If not she is being totally unreasonable.

Moving stuff around - wouldnt like this either but could just be something she genuinely isnt aware is something which should be done with discussion. Maybe some slack on this but either way she needs to see that there are 2 other people living there and these things need to be discussed and agreed first.

Either way I would think you need to firmly deal with this (and early) while keeping the peace as much as you can. Good to keep landlord informed but there is an element of needing to deal with this yourselves too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The new housemate moved in during the week with the help of her boyfriend while I and my other housemate were away at work.
    The boyfriend has been also living here since the date the new housemate moved in
    Ask the tenant when the her will be leaving. Also, was there a single or double bed in the room that she's now in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

That sounds like a nightmare housemate that is very selfish. You cannot be nice to people like that or they will take advantage. U need to lay down the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Possibly can’t evict at the moment, but the boyfriend can be told he’s not welcome in the house. He’s not a tenant.

Sardonicat wrote: »

Can be asked and can equally refuse. An invited guest need not have permission from all parties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Can be asked and can equally refuse. An invited guest need not have permission from all parties

Here come the reducto ad absurdium posts.

Of course the boyfriend can be told to gtfo

JoChervil wrote: »
    Congratulations for communicating it to your LL. Yet it seems you LL is backing off. Maybe they are too conflict adverse.

From my experience if something doesn't work from the very beginning, it will only get worse. They might behave differently for first 6 months but after that LL won't be able to evict her without serious reason for next 5,5 years.

Be careful with this expression "within reason". For me it is a red flag that your LL is a soft person and won't be able to deal with them. If LL puts rules in place just demand clear declaration like 2 nights staying over per week are allowed and every second week. Her absence every second week will "pay" for her boyfriend presence every second week. If it is not possible, so one night per week would do. It is just basic fairness in shared accommodation. If they want more often meetings so then they should rent something together. And pay for it accordingly.

Yeah, I kinda got that feeling too (that he was backing off). At first he mentioned he'd seek legal counsel for evictions and then he came back with that second response. I'm kinda getting the impression he's not taking it as seriously as I was originally led to believe and is just looking for a quick solution.

I'm planning to contact him tomorrow again about if he does intend (or has already) sought advice and if he intends on going down the termination route with any seriousness. If not, I think I may just bite the bullet and start looking for a new place. Sounds a bit extreme, but I agree that when somethings don't work right away, they never will.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Ask the tenant when the her will be leaving. Also, was there a single or double bed in the room that she's now in?

Double bed but advertised and rented for single occupancy.

Advertisement